Buying Costs?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Apr 2014 4:06 PM by kate_uk Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi!

I am now in the position to consider a move to Spain (Marbella area) and was wondering if someone could give me a breakdown of buying costs? I've been told to budget approx 11.5% on top of purchase price but would like to know what the costs relate to.

I am initially considering renting for 6 months to a year as I will be moving alone and want to be sure I have made the right decision!

All replies will be gratefully received.

Thanks

Like 0      
21 Apr 2014 10:29 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

I've been told to budget approx 11.5% on top of purchase price

Biggest chunk is the 8% transfer tax in Andalucia (up to 400k€ purchase price) on resale property.

Other costs are lawyer 1% (approx negotiable these days) and other minor disbursements (notary etc) should only add up to around 10% but 11.5 or 12 is about right if you are taking a mortgage.

Like 0      
22 Apr 2014 7:28 AM by kate_uk Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I'm not needing a mortgage ( I was told to budget 14.5% on top of costs if I was) which is why I am questioning how the percentages are broken down. The extra 1.5-2% is a sizeable amount on any figure.

Also, its rather worrying reading about people being hit with an after sales tax based upon what the 'value' of the property is, so this is something else I will be looking into.

Like 0      
22 Apr 2014 7:49 AM by casperruby Star rating. 165 posts Send private message

Hi kate
Like you mentioned beware of the tax bill down the road we were hit 6 months after purchase I of course dont know what your paying but if as uou say the 1.4 -2% is a sizable amount tgen be prepared for example if you pain say €100k for a place that the tax man is worth or they think is eorth €200k you could get a bill of €8k if you get the seller to drop the price then the tax you pay will be more.

Like 0      
22 Apr 2014 8:58 AM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 469 posts Send private message

Kate 

We purchased property near Marbella in 2005 and all I can say is the add on costs are substantial compared to say the UK, we paid around 12% in total then but I guess its similar now I do know the goverment reduced it for a short period but only on new properties mainly to help the BANKS sell the vast stock of UNSOLD props on there books.

1.Get a good estate agent I know a few.

2.Get a good lawyer I know a few of these.

3.Rent for at least 12 months so you can see all the seasons its damned hot in summer and very busy in August with the school kids ,winters are sometimes cold and the rain can be torrential.

4.Get a good surveyor some of the buildings are very poorly built.

5.Try to avoid banks where possible there fees are eye watering.

6.Dont buy to cheap ,yes there are bargains on the bank stuff but the COSTA DEL SOL is propped up somewhat by the SUPER RICH.so prices are higher generally than other parts of SPAIN.

Having said all that its a GREAT place to live and you will make friends very easily

Regards 

Rod

This message was last edited by rod on 22/04/2014.

Like 0      
22 Apr 2014 9:07 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Kate

This tax, called Complementaria, is levied when the tax office believes someone has purchased a property at less than the minimum value that they hold for the property - they work this out by multiplying the catastral value (found on the IBI bill) by a coefficient for the area is which you are buying (example Marbella was 1.27 in 2013)

The good news is that you can check this before you go through with a purchase and any good lawyer (there are still some) will in fact check this as a matter or procedure if you are buying at a knock down price.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

neil (biggsy14) - 0 posts
How long can i stay in Spain, without the Spanish tax man being after me. - 27 posts
Use of UK Disabled badge in Spain - 6 posts
For Sale Baby Car seat and buggy 30 euro each or 50 for the two - 0 posts
Taxes when selling our house in Spain - 12 posts
Replacement Textilene Sun Lounger Covers - 3 posts
Cowboy builders abroad-reactions? - 4 posts
furniture for sale - 1 posts
La Unión - 1 posts
Hello Any Advice on Life In Alicante???? - 21 posts
Anything to look out for when buying a new TV to connect to IPTV? - 7 posts
Join 'Duquesa Astronomical Society' - 0 posts
Astronomy Group - Duquesa/Manilva/Estepona & San Pedro - 0 posts
1.5bn Euro of EU money goes missing in Spain - 6 posts
Reclaim IVA on new car? - 4 posts
The economy is looking good in the U.K - 12 posts
transfer to spanish plates - 3 posts
NAME AND SHAME - 32 posts
Will this incompetence ever end? - 26 posts
Growing loquat (nisperos) in the UK - 10 posts
Bargain - 2 posts
Homes Sales Down 27.6% in February - 0 posts
Banks are giving 100% mortgages again.... - 1 posts
Good Experiences with Tour operators - 0 posts
Outbuilding and workshops - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x