How long can i stay in Spain, without the Spanish tax man being after me.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Apr 2014 10:54 AM by cumbria Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

How long can i stay in Spain, without the Spanish tax man being after me. im looking at doing a long term rent probably  11 months, i rent property off in the uk, im also going to sell a UK property at the back end of the year. any advice please ?

Like 0      
20 Apr 2014 12:03 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

Non-residents living more than 183 days in Spain are also considered residents for tax purposes, even if they have not obtained their residence permit.
If you are a Spanish resident you will be taxed for your worldwide income. You may deduct your income tax paid in your home country.

Like 0      
20 Apr 2014 12:34 PM by cumbria Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

What if i was to come back to the UK lets say after 180  days for a week, does the 183 days start again when i got back to Spain?

Like 0      
20 Apr 2014 12:51 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

Not sure, but I think its 183 days in any 12 month period.. So the answer in that case is no..

Like 0      
20 Apr 2014 1:09 PM by cumbria Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Cheers for that

Like 0      
20 Apr 2014 1:19 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

The 183 rule is just rule.  One can be tax resident in other circumstances too.

This if from The Hacienda Web Page :

INDIVIDUALS
Individuals shall be deemed to have their principal
residence in Spain if they meet any of the
following conditions:
• They spend more than 183 days per calendar
year in Spain. Occasional absences shall be
taken into account to calculate the period
of residence, except when said individuals
prove they have their tax residence in another
country. In the case of countries or territories
classified as tax havens, the Spanish tax
authorities may request proof of residence
in the tax haven for 183 days per calendar
year.
• Calculation of the period of residence shall
not take into account any temporary stays
in Spain that are the result of obligations
arising from cultural or humanitarian
collaboration agreements entered into with
the Spanish public administration with no

payment involved.
• Their main or central place of business is
directly or indirectly located in Spain.
Unless there is evidence to the contrary, an
individual shall be deemed to be a resident of
Spain if, in accordance with the aforementioned
criteria, his or her legally non-separated spouse
and dependent minor children have their principal
residence in Spain.
Individuals of Spanish nationality who prove they
have changed their country of residence to a tax
haven (Appendix III) shall continue to be liable
for Personal Income Tax (IRPF) in Spain for the
tax period in which the change of residence
occurs and the following four tax periods.
An individual shall be deemed to be a resident
or non-resident for the entire calendar year, given
that a change of residence does not
give rise to
an interruption of the tax period.

Jarvi:-    If you are a Spanish resident you will be taxed for your worldwide income. You may deduct your income tax paid in your home country.

True.  But only in very limited circumstances,  One cannot 'choose' where to pay tax.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 20/04/2014.

Like 0      
20 Apr 2014 3:09 PM by cumbria Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Could i keep my UK car with me for 183 days if so who should i look to for insurance cover English OR Spanish company ?

Like 0      
20 Apr 2014 3:26 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Just to confirm  the 183 days is a total in any year.

However, if you intend  to stay, or are in Spain for a total of 3 months permanently, then you are required to register on the EU citizens Register.  In  certain circumstances the tax office may consider that makes you tax resident, although some here have a different view on that.

Like 1      
21 Apr 2014 5:52 AM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

There are 2 other points you need to be aware of:

1) If after becoming a tax resident you sell your home in the U.K. you will be liable to Spanish C.G.T. even though in the U.K. it is tax free (assuming it is your main residence and not let)

2) As a Spanish tax resident you are not allowed to own a foreign registered car so you need to change the number plates. Any car that is in a foreign country for more than 183 days in any twelve month period must be reregistered in that country.

Although all U.K. car insurance will cover you for unlimited European use it is only third party (unless you get a Green Card) There are a few companies in Spain that will insure your car on English plates and generally they will be cheaper than a U.K. company issuing a 'long term' Green Card. However for any car to be insured it has to be legal in the country of registration i.e. M.o.T., tax & insurance.

My best advice is to ask a competent Spanish lawyer or accountant.

Like 1      
21 Apr 2014 10:09 AM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

Re Green Cards

I have recently been informed by my insurance agent that the Green Card is no longer necessary within the EU. Nonetheless they issued one for me!

Like 0      
21 Apr 2014 12:29 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

You wiil have to prove to the Spanish goverment that you have a permanent residence in the U.K and you do not live in Spain for any more than 183 in any year for instance you are coucil tax /  / gas/ elect/  rent or mortgage payer so if you do go you will have to inform the U.K tax man of your intensions their is no way out  good luck

Like 0      
21 Apr 2014 1:51 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Some good answers on here but they are not definitive for every circumstance

Best advice is speak to a good accountant / solicitor in Spain, your accountant and / or inland revenue in UK.

Like 0      
21 Apr 2014 2:05 PM by cumbria Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

iT LOOKS LIKE A MINE FIELD, WHATS FRANCE LIKE ? LOL

Like 0      
21 Apr 2014 2:44 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

All EU countries have similar rules

It depends upon your circumstances, business, income, family (centre of interests), permanent residence, double taxation treaties (not just for EU countries) etc etc. For example there is no reason why you cannot take a vacation for more than 183 days per year anywhere, some may say the 183 day rule is for working days (freedom of movement within EU etc), some will differ in their views, info received etc

Speak to the legal people and clearly explain your own circumstances fully and it will become very clear and very straight forward

Like 0      
21 Apr 2014 4:36 PM by Rossetti Star rating in Oxford and Zurich. 124 posts Send private message

Cumbria, lived and worked in France for 30-years and took last year off to tour and live in Spain.

Both are very different and the tax systems in each are different, although the French system is far better defined.

For us France better suited our lifestyle, Spain seemed to be a problem if you wanted to earn a living and was suited to Northern Europeans who liked the Sun and cheap drink.

Having said that my Company has relocated us back to Switzerland due to the increased French taxes for the high earners.

All Countries seem to have their problems when it comes to tax, especially if you are a higher earner. As others have said take professional advice from an International tax expert.

If you asked, would I aand my wife relocate to Spain? The answer under the current tax rules would be NO. But I see the attraction for lower earners from Northern Europe seeking warmer climes. All I would say is beware the Spanish winter because if our experience is anything to go by it's certaintly not warm.

Rossetti

Rossetti

Like 1      
21 Apr 2014 10:04 PM by blueeyes Star rating. 64 posts Send private message

Cumbria, I rent out property in the UK which is my income, I don't work. I own a property in Spain, I never rent it out.

I do not pay council tax/electric/council tax etc in the UK, but I do still have a mortgage. When I am in the UK, I lodge with family.

I never spend more than 183 days a year in Spain, and my understanding is that the 'year' is the tax year, ie, January 1st to December 31st. I mention this because I have in the past fallen foul of my travel insurers regs, when I would have exceeded 183 days in THIER year, because of the date when I took it out. In addition, I never stay more than 100 days in one stay, as again, this is the maximum on my travel insurance. Technically, as johnzx states, if you stay more than 90 days but less than 183 days, you are supposed to sign on the EU register. As I never stay more than 100 days, I ignore this.

I do pay all my house suma, car suma, Spanish non resident taxes etc., UK income tax. But I'm an honest person!

If you decide to spend time in Spain, you will I am sure, soon come across people who are resident and working, but don't pay any tax, Spain or UK, don't have residency etc etc.

If you can afford it, there is no reason why you cannot rent a property for 11 months, and travel/live outside of Spain to break the 90/183 day rules.

Like 0      
22 Apr 2014 9:33 AM by cumbria Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Thanks guys for all the info.

Like 0      
22 Apr 2014 12:58 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

blueyes

If you can afford it, there is no reason why you cannot rent a property for 11 months, and travel/live outside of Spain to break the 90/183 day rules.

Yes, but why rent for 11 months when you can only spend a TOTAL of 183 in Spain.  Taking breaks, does not negate that rule.

Also, you  say that you ‘lodge with ‘ family’ when in UK.  If that is so then you it appears you are ipso facto resident in Spain, regardless of the number of days you spend here.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 22/04/2014.

Like 1      
22 Apr 2014 1:24 PM by blueeyes Star rating. 64 posts Send private message

My nephew 'lodges' with his parents. Does that mean he is not a UK resident?

Like 2      
22 Apr 2014 3:44 PM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

Blueeyes.

It is totally irrevelant where or how you stay in any country. The rules are if your 'foot' is on the soil of any country for any 183 days in any one financial year then you are a (tax) resident of that country. Even just stopping over for a few hours whilst e.g. changing planes  counts as a day in that country.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Use of UK Disabled badge in Spain - 6 posts
For Sale Baby Car seat and buggy 30 euro each or 50 for the two - 0 posts
Taxes when selling our house in Spain - 12 posts
Replacement Textilene Sun Lounger Covers - 3 posts
Cowboy builders abroad-reactions? - 4 posts
furniture for sale - 1 posts
La Unión - 1 posts
Hello Any Advice on Life In Alicante???? - 21 posts
Anything to look out for when buying a new TV to connect to IPTV? - 7 posts
Join 'Duquesa Astronomical Society' - 0 posts
Astronomy Group - Duquesa/Manilva/Estepona & San Pedro - 0 posts
1.5bn Euro of EU money goes missing in Spain - 6 posts
Reclaim IVA on new car? - 4 posts
The economy is looking good in the U.K - 12 posts
transfer to spanish plates - 3 posts
NAME AND SHAME - 32 posts
Will this incompetence ever end? - 26 posts
Growing loquat (nisperos) in the UK - 10 posts
Bargain - 2 posts
Homes Sales Down 27.6% in February - 0 posts
Banks are giving 100% mortgages again.... - 1 posts
Good Experiences with Tour operators - 0 posts
Outbuilding and workshops - 2 posts
Audio recording of AGM - 1 posts
Electricity Bills - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 28

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x