contract phone

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Apr 2014 11:08 AM by gwm Star rating in Pizarra. 139 posts Send private message

Anyone know a company that will offer a contract phone for non-resident, non property owner. It's proving v ery difficult as the companies we have approached need proof of address via a bill paid from the bank which we don't have. We live in the campo so have a correos box for mail. which they wont accept. 

Like 0      
05 Apr 2014 12:50 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Perhaps you could ask a friend, who has an address,  to open an account for you, using your credit card.

Like 0      
05 Apr 2014 1:09 PM by nigel188 Star rating in Estepona. 656 posts Send private message

As far that I am aware you need an NIE to organise a Contract Mobile Phone in Spain. There is no other way, other than what Johnzx has suggested. See websites below for  other info.

http://www.exploreseville.com/moviles.htm#1

http://www.michaelbriant.com/how_to_register.htm

http://www.niein1day.co.uk/importance-of-an-nie-number/

Goo Luck with your search

This message was last edited by nigel188 on 05/04/2014.

Nigel

Like 0      
05 Apr 2014 1:29 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

I take it you havent registered on the padron?

Can't your existing ADSL or phone supplier help?

Do you have a Spanish bank account? If so maybe the branch manager can help...

Its not that the phone companies are being difficult, proof of address and evidence that ties you to that address are government requirements introduced after the Madrid and London bombings. Same rules now apply to non-contract mobiles as well.

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
05 Apr 2014 1:31 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

if you choose the friend route as johnzx suggested (sorry but that is bad advice in my opinion esepcialy form a nex copsurprise) you are putting your friend at risk and why would they or you do that. Friendships can easily go wrong for silly things like this - simply not worth it

Phones need to be registered in Spain for a reason (traceability, liability, abuse, criminal activity etc etc whether we agree or not)- if you are living on the campo (not really sure what a campo is, is it a camp site?) apply for an NIE, register on padron etc,

Or get a PAYG international SIM, or international add on's to a UK contract phone

Like 0      
05 Apr 2014 1:41 PM by gwm Star rating in Pizarra. 139 posts Send private message

Thanks, The campo is the countryside, no post boxes, no water bills etc. We don't live here all the time but have NIE and bank account. The car insurance document was a posibility but needs a bill within the last 3 months and we pay up front once a year so no good. All mail goes to a post office box as no deliveries here and they wont accept anything with a post box number on. will keep searching. 

Like 0      
05 Apr 2014 2:02 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Tadd,  if it’s  GWM’s credit card what the risk to the friend ?

Like 0      
05 Apr 2014 2:12 PM by nigel188 Star rating in Estepona. 656 posts Send private message

It looks as though you are in a no win situation here. Every New Mobile Phone Contact in Spain  needs Proof of Address. See website below. Maybe a friend can set up a Mobile Phone Contract in his own name and you just pay the Bill. Just a thought .

http://costablanca.angloinfo.com/information/housing/setting-up-home/mobile-phones/

Nigel

Like 0      
05 Apr 2014 2:34 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

johnzx

the risks are numerous

If something was to go wrong i.e. the phone was misused (a mobiel phoen can be misuses in many ways) who is liable,

Who owns the phone according to the authorites,

Who is ultimaltely responsible for the bill payments (the bill payer or the registered address owner).

examples

1. The friend with the address could have misused the credit card

2. The friend with the card could have misused the address

3. The mobile phone contract is not paid (DD cancelled or insufficient funds etc) who is liable

Either way friendships go out of the window and finger pointing starts when (if) things go wrong

A contract or agreement would be needed outlining all responsibilites and  signed by both parties (and witnessed by a notary in Spain) to be conclusive of ownership and liabilities

Anything less may be deemed as fraudulent - depending upon the circumstances, evidence, offence, misuse etc etc

Yes a bit extreme and something I would have expected you of all people to know better being an experienced prosecutor, investigator, cop etc etc

Sorry but as I said not the best advice you have ever given on here without pointing out the risks

Like 1      
05 Apr 2014 2:43 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

OK Tadd, but if a friend asked me then I would not see the risks that you outline.  If the person was doggy they woulod not be a 'friend.'    But then maybe I am more trusting of friends than you. I anticipate the best of people generally and I am seldom disappointed.

Like 1      
05 Apr 2014 3:46 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

johnzx

Even the best and closest friends change when something of this nature goes wrong (even wives and husbands)

To be honest I would not want someone as a friend who would consider putting me in that position and I would not expect any of my friends to ask - it is something that one simply should not do.

** EDITED - Inciting - Against forum rules **

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 4/5/2014 6:48:00 PM.

Like 2      
05 Apr 2014 4:14 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Perhaps you could ask a friend .......

Tadd it was not advice, but just a suggestion just like others have made, to help GWM resolve the difficulty he finds himself in.

Like 1      
05 Apr 2014 4:43 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

johnzx - a bad suggestion from one who should know better (especially with your background)!!!

I would not call it a bad sitaution simply a small issue - no doubt you will challenge / argue this next!!!!

This message was last edited by Tadd1966 on 05/04/2014.

Like 3      
05 Apr 2014 6:41 PM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

Why would anyone criticising what John has suggested? He's not the only one to have suggested it and I would also suggest it if there weren't any other options. I can't see anything wrong with that and I am sure that all the adults on here are capable of knowing if they can trust their friends to that extent or not ... they don't need advice on that and certianly didn't come here to hear you say that...

"Either way friendships go out of the window and finger pointing starts when (if) things go wrong" 

we are talking about getting a phone contract not guaranteeing a mortgage, come on... lets bring things into perspective.

A donde el corazón se inclina, el pie camina.

Like 0      
05 Apr 2014 6:56 PM by eos_moderators Star rating in España. 173 posts Send private message

eos_moderators´s avatar

Please don't divert the thread and limit yourself to giving your own advice or sugestions. Please refrain from criticising other member's comments and inciting them into replying. The OP's can determine for themselves which advice they consider to be better or worse. If you dislike  or like a comment "click" on the like or dislike button. 

Thank you

Like 4      
06 Apr 2014 8:42 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

I have been using a Spanish labara pay as you go for 6 years and have had no problem topping it up on the labara web site they send me a email when it is due for topping up works out cheaper than a contract,if i was you I would be very careful of what you say on here I.E living in Spain on the Campo not registered on the Padron no Bank account no N.I.E.think twice say once.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 06/04/2014.

Like 1      
06 Apr 2014 8:59 PM by gwm Star rating in Pizarra. 139 posts Send private message

This message was last edited by gwm on 06/04/2014.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Corvera Airport - 12 posts
SECURITY DEPOSIT ON RENTAL PROPERTIES IN THE VALENCIAN COMMUNITY - 2 posts
Opening a Bar Restaurant on Costa Blanca - 3 posts
Community Voting - 3 posts
Driving to Spain with dogs - 4 posts
Car hire with pick up after midnight at Malaga airport - 2 posts
Helping 3 kids in India - 0 posts
Big Ben - 1 posts
Car Hire (back up plan) - 6 posts
Poker in EStepona - 0 posts
dining room table for sale - 2 posts
Spanish Public deficit nearly on target at 6.62% - 3 posts
Car & ITV Test - 7 posts
Do you need planning permission to erect a Log Cabin in Elche - 6 posts
car insurance for car not in use - 9 posts
From another thread: UK law: Innocent until proven guilty - 4 posts
bopmalaga es buscar.php website help anyone please? - 5 posts
Someone Is Telling Porkies - 8 posts
LAKE VINUELA SOCIAL CLUB - 0 posts
Lawyer just informed me I may need a Gestoria - 1 posts
Astronomy Group - Duquesa/Manilva/Estepona & San Pedro - 0 posts
Will Spain Follow Cyprus - 2 posts
Arroyo De La Miel Bank help PLEASE - 0 posts
Cars with foreign number plates - 39 posts
Help for UK TV documentary - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 17

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x