Agricultural water

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Mar 2014 12:30 PM by greenfingers Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Hi

I am looking at buying a property in Spain to modernise, not renovate.

I am have found a property that looks very promising, it states that it has cheap agricultural water with deposit tanks.

I have no idea what this is, I would be really grateful if anyone could shed some light on what it is?

Many Thanks

Like 0      
22 Mar 2014 1:13 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Water which is suitable for agriculture( farming, crops, animals, not drinkable for humans).  Which is stored in tanks (deposits)

Like 0      
22 Mar 2014 11:29 PM by gwm Star rating in Pizarra. 139 posts Send private message

We have agricultural water and not the mains. We have put a filter system in, cost about 90 euros.plus new filters from time to time. We use the water for everything except drinking or cooking. fine for showers, washing up etc. As this water is only available from May 1st until September 30th in my area,  you do need a large storage tank.If it's possible have guttering that will top up the tank with rainwater. If you happen to run dry water delivered is about 70 euros for 10,000 litres. We have a 70,000litre tank and usually have one top up especially with having such a dry winter this year.

Like 0      
23 Mar 2014 7:50 AM by greenfingers Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Thank you both so much for your informative replies.  I love to see the differences between different locations and I am particularly excited that I do not have to rule this property out.

Could I please ask what you do for drinking / cooking water. Do you just use bottled water or do you have an alternative?

If you use bottled water could I please ask how much a bottle of water currently is.

Also you state that the agricultural water is only avalable from 1 May - 31 Sept in your area, could you please let me know who I would need to contact for Huercal-overa, Almeria, Andalusia to check what there time frames are.

How do you get the agricultural water from May - Sept, is it piped to you or delivered?

Thank you so much

Like 0      
23 Mar 2014 8:02 PM by gwm Star rating in Pizarra. 139 posts Send private message

Our agricultural is piped from the source. we had to put a new rubber pipe in, not too expensive  about 200 euros depends on the nearest source. For drinking etc we get it from a water fountain for free, very good water too. We usually every 8 - 10 days and get eight 5 litre bottles filled for  2 adults + 2 big dogs. The locals will tell you the nearest one. To buy a 5 litre bottle costs about 70cents. the Junta de Andalucia deals with the water, they will have a local agent that switches it on and off, again ask the locals or the estate agent should know. Make sure the sellers have permission to have agricultural water. Usually only given to people who have crops i.e olive trees etc though it doesn't have to be a business.

This message was last edited by gwm on 23/03/2014.

Like 0      
24 Mar 2014 8:16 AM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Please check very carefully about agriculture water in your area because , according to what I have read on forum covering this area people in this area are without it for weeks sometimes...summer especially. Very hit and miss situations. Consequently they have to have it tankered in or constantly topping up their collection of bottles with free spring water.

Another thing to take into consideration is using it for showering can be deadly. It is swarming with bugs and one can get legionnaires disease by inadvertently inhaling droplets from shower heads or when using it to water in the garden.
I am speaking from experience.So please think very carefully.

Like 0      
24 Mar 2014 4:46 PM by greenfingers Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Thank you very much for your response.  My husband raised the health questions that your cover.  In light of this I think it is probably wise for us the avoid this area of Spain.

You mention this area being particularly bad for  water shortages ( particularly in the summer ) could you please advise me of some areas we could look at which would avoid (minimise) this problem, we are looking for a property on its own with no close neighbours and with  a bit of land in Southern Spain, but not necessarily on the coast.

Thank you for your advise, nothing beats hands on experience.

Like 0      
24 Mar 2014 5:04 PM by lorraine56 Star rating in Granada Spain. 51 posts Send private message

Hi Greenfingers, have you tried looking around the Granada region.We live 25km north of Granada city centre in a small village ( 900 inhabitants ) surrounded by olives , almonds and cherrys and in the 9 years we have been here have never suffered a water shortage. The water here is drinkable straight from the tap as it is supplied by springs from the nearby mountain.

Like 0      
24 Mar 2014 5:19 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Nothing wrong with Huercal-Overa area just make sure you are connected to mains water so agricultural water is only used for the garden.
I can only advise the area that I live , which may suit your requirements but others may also know of suitable areas.
I live very close to a village , 30 mins further north than HO, and 15 mins inland in the Lorca valley.
All individual properties here are between of 5,000 /10,000 meter plots with mains and agricultural water. Our mains water is actually drinkable without the need for numerous filters.
Because it is recognised as campo , further away from the village, properties are on 25,000+ plots and these have irrigation water only and are often accessible via rough tracks.

Would just suggest you take your time investigating different areas. A property that initially appears inexpensive may in the long term be more expensive and not as conducive to a happy life in Spain.

Like 0      
26 Mar 2014 8:58 PM by greenfingers Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Thank you all so much for your help regarding water availabiltiy in Spain.

I have seen another property in Almeria, which again is not on piped water, it has water via a water deposit tank.

Could I please ask for your advise / opinions on this method of water supply.

I am guessing that this is not agricultural water?

I am wondering how safe water would be for us if kept in a tank?

And wondering if a  certain type of  tank is required to avoid water becoming stagnant.

Is it still safer / more adviseable to buy a property with piped water.

In times of drought could you be refused a delivery of water for your tank?

On the other hand does anyone have there piped water switched off (in times of drought) I am particularly thinking of rural areas.

Thank you again for your help, and for putting me in the picture.

Like 0      
26 Mar 2014 9:48 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Irrigation water is piped to the propery and then is a pumped into the house or garden.
In my area we have to pay into a consortium . One payment upon connection and then monthly fee of 3 euros + cost of water .
Water, both irrigated and mains is available 24/7.

I would assume for a water deposit one has to have mains / spring water tanked in. Know people with this system but have no idea how long the water lasts , especially if one has a pool, or how safe it is. I assume one would have to keep it chlorinated. I must inquire.

Southern Spain is always short of water but even in times of prolonged drought water would always be available ...for sale...but could be a licence to print money....

In truth , I personally wouldn't entertain a property that didn't have its own well or mains water.

Like 0      
27 Mar 2014 8:36 AM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

I would tend to agree with Floella, purchasing a property that doesn't have mains water or at least a healthy well is a big risk and would make it so much more difficult to sell in the future if need be. Now it may be dry in the south of Spain when it comes to rain but properties with wells are very common and shouldn't be too hard to find, if you fancy being in the sticks that is...

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 0      
27 Mar 2014 9:10 AM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Changing the emphasis to ..."being in the sticks"....I appreciate greenfingers, this might be your dream, and If one is in UK it isn't a problem...but in Spain it can be a nightmare scenario should you need emergency services. Or indeed any services.

Even where I live, a mere 500metres from a village, on a Tarmac road with street lights neither road nor the few houses have names so any tradesman or service required has to be met at an arranged meeting place. Far from ideal if requiring a doctor or ambulance.
And the more isolated you are the more difficult life can be.

Also noting your signature of " greenfingers" should I assume you like gardening ? If so and is the reason you desire to have lots of land in the Spanish campo then may I urge you to rethink because vast tracts of campo land is stony scrub land suitable only for goats and gravel with mini diggers required to dig the smallest hole.

Like 0      
27 Mar 2014 6:45 PM by ayrez Star rating in La Marina Oasis. 379 posts Send private message

When we first had our campo house built we had a  deposit and had water tnkered in. 10,00 litres cost 70 Euros at the time ( 2007) and has probably increased since then.  A tanker lated us between two and three months if there was only the two of us.

The water is drinkable without any treatment and remains sweet as long as it is kept in the deposit. Must admit that we never drank it but used bottled water.

We eventually had piped drinking water connected at a cost of approx 2000 Euros and worth every penny, not only is the water cheaper but there are no worries about having to monitor usage.

Jean

Like 0      
05 Apr 2014 2:51 PM by greenfingers Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Hi Jean

Thank you for your reply (sorry I have been unable to reply before now)

You raised a very good point about knowing how much water you use and when you would need to order more water in.  A point I had not given any consideration to.

I feel that from what I have read from yours and the previous threads that I will look for a property with mains water.

Many Thanks

Like 0      
05 Apr 2014 2:51 PM by greenfingers Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Hi Jean

Thank you for your reply (sorry I have been unable to reply before now)

You raised a very good point about knowing how much water you use and when you would need to order more water in.  A point I had not given any consideration to.

I feel that from what I have read from yours and the previous threads that I will look for a property with mains water.

Many Thanks

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

More Phantom Theme Parks for Spain? - 0 posts
Lost Friend I really need your help - 0 posts
Spanish Property Market 2014 : Prices May Fall By Another 15% - 41 posts
Why? - 1 posts
English TV in Spain - 39 posts
Hi everybody! - 0 posts
Wills and Inheritance Tax - 14 posts
Electrical fixed charges increased from 36% to 65%. - 13 posts
Shop/Wholesalers Dolores - 0 posts
Inheritance tax advice for residents - 39 posts
Hotel Type Key switch - 5 posts
Caser Seguros - 2 posts
Mailbox - 1 posts
Electric Meters - Coin Operated - 6 posts
Collecting Visitors at MV - 9 posts
What do you cook when in Spain? - 4 posts
Torrevieja Sea Front - no looky looky men - 18 posts
filmon - 4 posts
La Zenia to Portaventura - 0 posts
Mal Prosser - 0 posts
Letter of ??? - 2 posts
Really I am getting Fed up - 8 posts
Habitation Certificate - 13 posts
Residency requirements in Spain - 15 posts
Regular IBI Bills? - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 16

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x