English TV in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Mar 2014 11:53 AM by nigela Star rating. 415 posts Send private message

With the relocation of BBC and ITV channels to the new satellite which is not easily receivable in Costa Del Sol and Almeria could anyone answer the following questions for me:

1) Are any free English channels still available (without reallignment of the dish) eg Sky News, BBC news, pop girl true movies etc.

2) Is it possible to reallign the dish and obtain channels in English from a different satellite (not neccesaily BBC or ITV) and if so what sort of channels could you receive.

Like 0      
21 Mar 2014 8:42 PM by davmunster Star rating in Carvajal\Belfast. 843 posts Send private message

davmunster´s avatar
The following unencrpted channels are still available from theier existing satelite. Sky subscription channels are also available if you have a sky subscription

134 -  S4C

145 -  CHALLENGE

146 -  CBS REALITY

147 -  CBS REALITY + 1

148 -  CBS ACTION

149 – CBS DRAMA

152 -  PICK

153 – PICK+1

164 – CHALLENGE + 1

183 – TRUE DRAMA

184 – TRUE ENT

185 – MORE >MOVIES ( FILM )

186 – M > MOVIES + 1 ( FILM )

189 – PROPELLOR

191 – SHOWCASE

192 – SHOWCASE 2

193 – SHOWCASE + 1

198 – REALITY TV

199 – OH TV

212 – INFORMATION TV

251 – TRAVEL CHANNEL

252 – TRAVEL CHANNEL + 1

262 – FOOD NETWORK

263 – FOOD NETWORK + 1

282 – FITNESS TV

284 – HOLIDAY + CRUISE

292 – FILM ON.TV ( FILM )

319 – HORROR CHANNEL ( FILM )

320 – HORROR CHANNEL + 1 ( FILM )

321 – TRUE MOVIES 1 ( FILM )

322 – TRUE MOVIES 2 ( FILM )

325 – MOVIES 4 MEN ( FILM )

326 – MOVIES 4 MEN + 1 ( FILM )

357 – VIVA ( MUSIC )

363 – MAGIC ( MUSIC )

364 – HEAT ( MUSIC )

365 – CHART SHOW TV ( MUSIC )

366 – THE VAULT ( MUSIC )

367 – SCUZZ ( MUSIC )

369 – VINTAGE TV ( MUSIC )

370 – PLANET POP ( MUSIC )

371 – STARZ TV ( MUSIC )

372 – BUZMUZIK ( MUSIC )

374 – FLAVA ( MUSIC )

376 – BLISS ( MUSIC )

378 – NOW MUSIC ( MUSIC )

382 – CHARTSHOW DNCE ( MUSIC )

383 – CLUBLAND TV ( MUSIC )

387 – HEART TV ( MUSIC )

388 – CAPITAL TV ( MUSIC )

501 – SKY NEWS ( NEWS )

502 – BLOOMBERG ( NEWS )

505 – CNBC ( NEWS )

506 – CNN ( NEWS )

508 – EURONEWS ( NEWS )

510 – CCTV NEWS ( NEWS )

512 – RT ( NEWS )

513 – FRANCE ENG ( NEWS )

515 – CNC WORLD ( NEWS )

539 – COMMUNITY CHANNEL

583 – TBN EUROPE

616 – POP ( CHILDRENS TV )

617 – TINY POP ( CHILDRENS TV )

625 – TINY POP + 1 ( CHILDRENS TV )

626 – POP GIRL ( CHILDRENS TV )

627 – KIX ( CHILDRENS TV )

629 – KIX + 1 ( CHILDRENS TV )

640 – QVC ( SHOPPING )

641 – JML DIRECT ( SHOPPING )

644 – IDEAL WORLD ( SHOPPING )

645 – PRICE DROP ( SHOPPING )

654 – BID ( SHOPPING )

796 – ABU DHABI TV

899 – SKY INTRO

978 – BBC RB 2

David

Like 1      
22 Mar 2014 10:42 AM by nigela Star rating. 415 posts Send private message

Thanks for that. Now would it be possible to have a dual lnb and get reception from this satellite and from the one which you can get bbc itv on with biss keys?

Like 0      
22 Mar 2014 11:34 AM by davmunster Star rating in Carvajal\Belfast. 843 posts Send private message

davmunster´s avatar

As I understand it no. The BBC \ ITV encrypted signal is beamed from a different satelite and you can't have your dish alighned to both at the same time.

David

Like 0      
22 Mar 2014 6:07 PM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

Maybe not "at the same time"but we had a universal motorised dish from which we could access a whole range of satelites. Unfortunately the motor wore out after (quite) a time and given improvements in internet access we didn't bother to replace it. Perhaps this method is still available? Maybe an installer of quality could tell more.

Like 0      
22 Mar 2014 6:16 PM by gjohnint Star rating. 49 posts Send private message

Not sure if this is any help!

We were using a satellite service from Torrestat for anumber of years, We are near La Zenia, S. Costa Blanca. Hearing the tales about satellites moving, the need for 3metre dishes and generally getting fed up with making a monthly payment. I purchased a receiver box (Televeres at 60 eu) from Leroy Merlin, disconnected the box provided by Torrestat and heh presto we have the full range of programmes we had before for a one off purchase of 60 eu. This week we have been tuned to Astra 2.  We only have acess to Sky News but have all of the other standard UK programmes, BBC 1, 2, ITV 1, 2 3, 4 and plenty of others, germany, Swedish etc if we tune into other satellites.

Les Smith

Like 1      
22 Mar 2014 7:56 PM by nigela Star rating. 415 posts Send private message

Thanks for the replies - I understand that alot of the Costa Blanca hasn't been affected by the recent change in satellites but areas like Malaga and Almeria have been. Most of the suggestions for these areas have been via the internet but if you don't have the internet this can be costly. Also I believe there may be an infrastructure problem in that if alot of people in a community started to use the internet for tv then their may not be sufficient broadband width going into the community. I am trying to find other solutions which may be worth considering. I know motorised dishes can locate many satellites but you can also get multi lnb dishes where you can see several satellites. The troubke with motorised dishes is that they can get blown out of allignment by the weather.

Like 0      
23 Mar 2014 10:01 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Nigela,  it not just a matter of having a dish and pointing it at the appropriate satellite.  In Malaga etc. one may get a very ‘weak signal’  but need a dish of several metres diameter to pick it up..  Not very practical even if you live in a villa.

Like 0      
23 Mar 2014 12:07 PM by nigela Star rating. 415 posts Send private message

Yes I know - the point i am trying to make is that there are a lot of satellites out there which you can find on a reasonable size dish but you need to be pointing towards that satellite. You don't necceasaily need a motorised dish you may get the relevant satellite by having multiple lnb attached to your dish. I think getting British tv ie bbc and itv will not be practical in many parts of Spain now. What people need to look for is the next best solution. eg Is it possible to get bbc worldwide (which you have to pay for) along with the existing channels ? Or can you get the existing channels and the scrambled bbc and itv ones and get the relevant biss keys to unlock them? If someone has the right knowledge and looks at the problem logically they will come up with solutions that might not be perfect but be acceptable. Unfortunately I havn't got that knowledge.

Like 0      
23 Mar 2014 1:10 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Is it possible to get BBC world

One can still get the Sky channels on the old  (existing)  dish on the CDS.    I have the free ones, which include BBC World, Sky News, CNN etc but not BBC 1,2, ITV 1, 2 etc. as they are now on a satellite, from which I cannot get a strong enough signal,  as I only have 1.5 M dish.

Like 0      
25 Oct 2015 3:13 PM by Travlur Star rating in Galicia Spain / Vale.... 34 posts Send private message

Travlur´s avatar

1) The Northern provinces of Spain are much less affected. In Galicia (the Atlantic Coast region), Sky is still good for BBC 1, etc.

2) If you have a parabola, make sure that you have a super high gain receptor (the gizmo inside the dish). We upgraded ours and now we get perfect BBC from Sky except when there is a huge thunder cloud.

Like 0      
25 Oct 2015 4:00 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned TV via the internet, so much easier and cheaper.  Within a couple of years "satellites" and "dishes" will probably be completely obsolete.

Like 1      
25 Oct 2015 5:14 PM by Travlur Star rating in Galicia Spain / Vale.... 34 posts Send private message

Travlur´s avatar

acer; I have two properties, 10 minutes drive apart, one in Portugal (with a parabola, using Sky), one in Spain (using Filmon / internet tv streaming).

The Filmon option is NOTHING in comparison with the SKY box option. The Filmon has lower quality, fewer programs and buffering problems. The SKY / parabola option I get full HD and the only issues are perhaps 5 or 10 minutes a year when storm clouds large enough get in the way of the Sky box / parabola signal. Plus, checking the film guide and switching from channel to channel on internet streamed tv is horrible.

When you say satellites and dishes will be obsolete, who is going to provide and pay for the wider broadband connections to enable the bandwidth on streamed tv to be HD and without buffering? And who is going to get the licences and infrastructure to provide all the channels you want, in an easy to use and legal format?

Sorry, but you are wrong, wrong, wrong. Internet streamed tv may one day catch up, I am sure, but not for a long time and to no cost benefit to users.

Sky vs internet streamed tv is like a BMW vs a Aixam

This message was last edited by Travlur on 25/10/2015.

Like 0      
25 Oct 2015 8:59 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Travlur - I just wish I knew you well enough to have a little bet.  I'm not at all tecnical but I'm amazed by the range and performance of IPTV boxes now available.  IMHO in a year or two they will take over.

Like 0      
25 Oct 2015 10:17 PM by Travlur Star rating in Galicia Spain / Vale.... 34 posts Send private message

Travlur´s avatar

I have both IPTV and Sky. Streaming has a long way to go and will not be any cheaper when it does catch up. Though, ultimately, satelites have certain weaknesses / risks that terrestial systems do not.

Like 0      
26 Oct 2015 12:49 AM by DuncanMcG Star rating in Manchester, UK. 377 posts Send private message

DuncanMcG´s avatar

You can stream your Netflix, Sky etc in HD over the internet at no additional cost over your UK subscriptions.

Internet streaming already beats Satellite services in terms of cost and choice.

Like 0      
26 Oct 2015 7:02 AM by Travlur Star rating in Galicia Spain / Vale.... 34 posts Send private message

Travlur´s avatar

"Internet streaming already beats Satellite services in terms of cost and choice."

Can you get BBC and others HD ? You can on Freeview! Is it cheaper than Free? Can you get the quality channels like National Geographic and Commedy Central on streaming? Or maybe you like the Kazakh news channels on Filmon better?

And you can NOT legally stream Sky (so, whatever you have, is temporary), and why would you if you can get the HD satellite signal for free??!!

I have both Sky boxes (two, one Freeview, one paid for in my home in Portugal) and streamed (in my home in Spain), and streaming is nothing by comparison regarding quality, cost and choice!

Remember, I have both, you have streaming, and it seems to me that you are saying streaming is better (when it is not) because you can not get / do not have Sky! Again, the difference in quality and choice (and cost if you go Freeview) is far, far better with Sky.

This message was last edited by Travlur on 26/10/2015.

This message was last edited by Travlur on 26/10/2015.

Like 0      
26 Oct 2015 8:01 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Travlur l have 3 sat dishes that are still working but no longer in use one in the UK and two on the Villa in Spain the reason l no longer use them is due to having a android TV box l can stream movies and UK TV without any problem may l suggest you get yourself a new Android box this can be bought from eBay for around £40.00 make sure you buy one that has a quaud core processor and aleast a 16. Gig hard drive as I said I have two and no longer use a TV antenna or   sat dish you are missing out big time with the old antiquated system you are using the Android TV system is hear to stay you don't need a 6 foot dish to receive east enders any more when you are in Spain good luck .

Like 1      
26 Oct 2015 8:06 AM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Windtaker is right.  Days of buffering are on the way out which is why I reckon satellite dishes et al will be obsolete for most within a couple of years.

Like 1      
26 Oct 2015 8:43 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Forgot to say if you want the full sky package you can get this on the android box you will have to pay for this everything else is free ,fitting sat dishes is no longer required by sky TV when you can just plug a box into you're WiFi router so no more rip off Price's from the now redundant butcher baker an candle stick maker that has just stepped of the plane and announces him self as sat guy.

Like 1      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Hi everybody! - 0 posts
Wills and Inheritance Tax - 14 posts
Electrical fixed charges increased from 36% to 65%. - 13 posts
Shop/Wholesalers Dolores - 0 posts
Inheritance tax advice for residents - 39 posts
Hotel Type Key switch - 5 posts
Caser Seguros - 2 posts
Mailbox - 1 posts
Electric Meters - Coin Operated - 6 posts
Collecting Visitors at MV - 9 posts
What do you cook when in Spain? - 4 posts
Torrevieja Sea Front - no looky looky men - 18 posts
filmon - 4 posts
La Zenia to Portaventura - 0 posts
Mal Prosser - 0 posts
Letter of ??? - 2 posts
Really I am getting Fed up - 8 posts
Habitation Certificate - 13 posts
Residency requirements in Spain - 15 posts
Regular IBI Bills? - 5 posts
Astra 28 degrees frequency updates - changes to ITV 4+1 - 0 posts
Car dealers - 4 posts
IHT does this work - 3 posts
Taxi's - 0 posts
EHIC Rights- Useful information for family members coming to visit - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 40

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x