Is a UK Visa Needed

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Feb 2014 10:02 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

A common situation but difficulty in getting a ‘’yes’ or ‘no’ answer to a simple question. I am married to a Ukrainian lady with Spanish residency; the lot.

I have British and Irish nationality but my UK passport is out of date as I don’t need two. Will she need a visa to visit the UK for a few days if she is with me? She is free to go where she wishes in the Schengen Area. The UK Border Agency (online) is unhelpful largely due to its complexity.

If she doesn’t it raises the question, if my UK passport is out of date how do I prove my UK birth and nationality: Birth Certificate one supposes; take everything and be prepared to try reason if there is a ‘step this way, sir’ query.

A long shot but maybe someone on here is in a similar situation and has the tee-shirt.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
19 Feb 2014 10:22 AM by nigel188 Star rating in Estepona. 656 posts Send private message

Hi Mike

According this Website she will need a Visa.Correct me if I am wrong here.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/visiting/general/visa/

Good Luck

Regards

Nigel

Like 0      
19 Feb 2014 11:03 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Thanks Nigel….. The topic was covered a month or so back and there was an erudite response. Sadly, typically Spain (or bureaucracy everywhere), ask 10 people one question and you get 10 different answers all of which are right.

Britain’s loss: if a visa is required (£150 for a visa to visit Gibraltar) we will choose from the competing 28 EU nations to spend our money in. Cheers, my friend. - Mike

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

Like 0      
19 Feb 2014 11:25 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Mike,   My wife (Asian) and I are in the situation as you.  From everything I have read as a UK national, even with dual nationality, you cannot take your wife to UK, unless you are (may have) worked in EU outside UK.  However, if you were just Irish, or any other EU National other than British,  you probably can.

We went to Gib a couple of times with my Irish passport, I did not mention I had dual nationality, .  No problem.  Then I wrote to the Immigration in Gib and said I had worked in Spain as a voluntary translator with the Police for many years, they said it that case I could take my wife to Gib.  We gave it a go and the guy at the border said even with just my British PP she could go in. He did not ask about working.  I tried to show him the email from the Immigration Service but he did not want to look at it,   So maybe it depends on who checks you.

I spoke to British Airways about taking my wife to UK using the Irish  PP   (The Surrender Singh route;  http://blogs.kent.ac.uk/eu-rights-clinic/2013/12/08/uk-changes-rules-on-surinder-singh-route/) but they said they would not let my wife check in  unless she had a visa.

I believe you should be able to get a Family Permit,  which I understand is free.   Info here:-   http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucitizens/eea-family-permit/

Good luck, Mike

Like 0      
19 Feb 2014 2:36 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Thanks John…. The EEA seems the way to go. As soon as I have a little stash will give it a whirl. Thanks so much. Have a good day! - Mike

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Inaccuracy in Nota Simple - 2 posts
I pad 2 query - 8 posts
BUYING A SPANISH USED CAR WITH NO DOCUMENTS - 3 posts
non resident tax murcia - advice please - 13 posts
Car insurance - 2 posts
Channel 5HD - 3 posts
Long term car hire - 3 posts
Advice on a Dacion en pago - 3 posts
Yet another 720 query - 6 posts
Becoming a non-resident in Spain - 7 posts
Dation Advice - 0 posts
jardin tropical,developer Larios 2000 - 0 posts
Monthly and Annual Costs of keeping 2 bed apartment on Puerto Marina Los Alcazares - 0 posts
Pet Insurance - 2 posts
How to get more internet speed from Movistar - 4 posts
hola - 19 posts
Lost UK Channels time for IPTV - 2 posts
2 month rent Andalusia from mid Feb - 0 posts
Alicante/Murcia region - quiet seaside resort - 4 posts
Post refreshed: Buying in Spain is safe! - 3 posts
Driving down to Murcia in the next week or so ? - 0 posts
Not a UK resident and buying Spanish Property? - 21 posts
Spanish Climate - 67 posts
Oxygen supplier - 2 posts
What happens if there is debt on a property or community fees unpaid? - 11 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x