BUYING A SPANISH USED CAR WITH NO DOCUMENTS

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Feb 2014 11:36 AM by yaweebeauty Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi, I have the opportunity to buy a Spanish registered car in the UK but it has no documents such as previous owners NIE or passport. It is now being sold by a trade garage who tell me it was seized by the UK border agency.

Other than the informe de carga which I could get done myself, what obstacles do I have to overcome and what other steps would I have to take to get the vehicle transferred into my name or any idea of the costs involved for replacement documents?

I would appreciate any constructive advice with solutions to any of this problem (not posts telling me to buy a different car!)

cheers

Like 0      
18 Feb 2014 12:59 PM by carl9 Star rating. 136 posts Send private message

You need to check there are no Spanish taxes outstandng on the car if you're planning on taking it back to Spain.

If you're planning to keep it in the UK, you'l need to switch the headlights and brake light over.

Is it Spanish LHD or a UK RHD that has been converted to Spanish plates?

Carl

Like 0      
18 Feb 2014 1:04 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

First step is as you say get a informe done, you can do this online if you want. What the report reveals will determine whether you will want to go ahead with the purchase. If you do want to go ahead I would definitely employ the services of a Gestoria in Spain to sort all the paperwork out, it's not that difficult for them, the informe will also reveal the NIE number of the previous owner.

Do you know why it was impounded by the UK border agency? I think I would want to know, maybe it was just a case of driving with no insurance

Like 0      
18 Feb 2014 1:50 PM by yaweebeauty Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Thanks, that's helpful. Its spanish LHD and I will be taking it to Spain. I am curious as to why it was seized by customs myself but I would speculate it was used for smuggling tobacco or something like that. Its usually the police that would check for insurance and ITV and not a customs issue. I think I'll use the DGT for the informe report and take it from there.

Thanks.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

non resident tax murcia - advice please - 13 posts
Car insurance - 2 posts
Channel 5HD - 3 posts
Long term car hire - 3 posts
Advice on a Dacion en pago - 3 posts
Yet another 720 query - 6 posts
Becoming a non-resident in Spain - 7 posts
Dation Advice - 0 posts
jardin tropical,developer Larios 2000 - 0 posts
Monthly and Annual Costs of keeping 2 bed apartment on Puerto Marina Los Alcazares - 0 posts
Pet Insurance - 2 posts
How to get more internet speed from Movistar - 4 posts
hola - 19 posts
Lost UK Channels time for IPTV - 2 posts
2 month rent Andalusia from mid Feb - 0 posts
Alicante/Murcia region - quiet seaside resort - 4 posts
Post refreshed: Buying in Spain is safe! - 3 posts
Driving down to Murcia in the next week or so ? - 0 posts
Not a UK resident and buying Spanish Property? - 21 posts
Spanish Climate - 67 posts
Oxygen supplier - 2 posts
What happens if there is debt on a property or community fees unpaid? - 11 posts
cancellation of Britanny Ferries crossing Thursday 13th Santander to Portsmouth - 0 posts
Electronic Registration - Spanish Tax Office - 5 posts
Become a homeowner for €1,000 - illegally of course... - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x