Saved by Extra Insurance thanks to... Firefly car Rental Alicante airport

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Dec 2013 10:01 PM by aliton Star rating. 331 posts Send private message

I recently hired a car as we always do for 10 days in Spain visiting Murcia and Benidorm. The Rental was organised through Eye on Spain ( Do you Spain ) and Firefly Rental came up as the supplying company. Collecting the car was a breeze at Alicante Airport ( Across the padestrian walkway ) on level one in the main car park.

As it was so cheap ( 37 Euro plus fuel ) I was talked into having CDW . Collision Damage waiver at an extra 5 euros a day. I normally reject any offers of CDW but thankfully was talked into it by the nice lady at the desk ....What a god send that turned out to be because during the Rental another "kind unknown motorist" put a large set of dents and scrapes on the rear wheel arch and drove off, must have been 300 euros to repair . Only discovered it the day after. On return to the desk the lady at Firefly didnt even want to see the car as I handed in the key ... your covered she said .

Moral of the story is ...If you think you are a safe driver and dont need additional cover... think again . its the other drivers you have to worry about. I know next time I will take CDW. Thanks Firefly

This message was last edited by aliton on 08/12/2013.

Fomer member revisiting r.

Like 1      
09 Dec 2013 8:47 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

I have always taken it, insurance is a waste of money...until when you need it, a friend bought it for the first time a year or so ago and wrecked an alloy wheel and tyre, put the spare on, told the hire company on his return and like you they never even bothered to look at the time, and told him the same, your covered.

Worth every cent...Even if you don't use it.

Like 0      
09 Dec 2013 8:51 AM by casperruby Star rating. 165 posts Send private message

We have used numerous car hire companies over the past year as we come over to spain each month, from the most expensive Hertz and Avis to the rough shod couldn't care less and up yours Gold car. We were guided to Firefly through eurocar website and use there office in Malaga. I can honestly say that they are the most polite and helpfull car hire company we have used they are busy so a ticket system is used but well worth it. There prices are very good and the CDW is nowhere near as expensive as the big boys and absolutely no quibbles when returning tge car . Like tge previous poster I would thoroughly recommend them.

Like 0      
09 Dec 2013 10:00 PM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 302 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

check out icarhireinsurance.com a full years excess insurance for about £35

Like 0      
09 Dec 2013 10:42 PM by Marysafc Star rating in Harrow and Peñiscola. 113 posts Send private message

We have a car hire XS insurance premium and had to claim on it after it emerged we had left the car in the car park after driving 200km to the airport with a puncture - no problem on the drive funnily. The car hire took the money for the repair of the tyre from our account and we then claimed it back, no problem. If we took CDW every time we went it would cost a fortune. 

Like 0      
10 Dec 2013 10:21 AM by beech58 Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

We also used Firefly at Malaga airport and we're not happy with their attitude, not very helpful staff plus ripped off with the cost of fuel. Was charged 115Euros for a 50 litre tank of fuel and told to bring back empty. They also tried to persuade us to purchase extra insurance for roadside assistance when we had already bought CDW in Uk, we certainly will not use them again!!!

Like 0      
10 Dec 2013 11:03 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

We also used Firefly at Malaga airport and we're not happy with their attitude, not very helpful staff plus ripped off with the cost of fuel. Was charged 115Euros for a 50 litre tank of fuel and told to bring back empty. They also tried to persuade us to purchase extra insurance for roadside assistance when we had already bought CDW in Uk, we certainly will not use them again!!!

I have used firefly many times, (Alicante) last time a couple of weeks back...Paid 60€ for the rental on a very nice VW... Paid 75.60€ for fuel on a 51 Ltr tank....Paid 79.20€ for extra insurance = 6.60€ a day,  Have to say wasn't that pushed to buy it either. VAT is an "OUCH" anywhere.

When the previous customer brings the car back empty...As best they can...Someone has to go out to get the car filled up, this takes time and wages.

Like 0      
10 Dec 2013 4:22 PM by pumpkin Star rating in Essex & San Cayetano. 110 posts Send private message

pumpkin´s avatar

Does anyone have any other recommendations for Excess Insurance companies (other than icarinsurance).  We usually buy excess insurance from Economy Carhire when we arrange the hire.  More than happy with them but gets a bit expensive when hiring more than a couple of times a year, especially in the summer months.

Many thanks

Like 0      
10 Dec 2013 7:50 PM by Marysafc Star rating in Harrow and Peñiscola. 113 posts Send private message

Check out Martin Lewis' site http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-car-hire#stepfour  for money saving advice. 

Like 0      
12 Dec 2013 6:11 PM by pumpkin Star rating in Essex & San Cayetano. 110 posts Send private message

pumpkin´s avatar

Thank you, Marysafc.  I will check it out.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

car mechanic - 0 posts
How do I open a teaching academy inland Spain - 6 posts
How can i trace the previous owners of our apartment? - 20 posts
Help prevent Mobile phone thefts / EMEI number - 2 posts
small Finca/Villa/Apartment forr very long term rental wanted.. - 0 posts
cancelling residencia - 14 posts
Law 57/68 explained - 6 posts
Lagos de Santa María and Supreme Court - 2 posts
Holiday let insurance company not paying out. - 35 posts
driving uk reg car in spain - 11 posts
Buying a used car from a dealership - 11 posts
Log Book - 9 posts
Returning hired car with too much fuel - 3 posts
Log burner flue pipes. - 0 posts
Kia dealers in Mazarron or Cartagena? - 3 posts
Aircon supplier/installer in Valencia - 0 posts
Good hardware store in Valencia - 3 posts
spanish inheritance tax - 9 posts
End of Year Accounts for Non Residential Living in Spain - 4 posts
DELETE a POST - 7 posts
Strong Wholemeal & White Flour - 3 posts
Another Non Residents Tax Question - 9 posts
Benefits in Europe: country by country - 34 posts
JSC Sports - Al Jazeera & Fox Sports Italia in dispute with FA - 0 posts
Any legal question on buying property in Spain? Maria answers - 32 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x