Buying a car with Italian plates and Insuring etc in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Nov 2013 3:06 PM by K 5ive Star rating in Cambrils. 116 posts Send private message

I am going to look at an Alfa brera in Barcelona on Saturday that is on Italian Plates. If I was to buy it what happens with insurance? I would be registering it asap onto Spanish plates. Does anyone know if it's possible to insure as it is with Spanish companies?

Like 0      
21 Nov 2013 5:20 PM by panda31 Star rating. 21 posts Send private message

NO, Cars must be insured in the country of registration, same as UK and Spanish cars. Spanish insurance companies are not allowed to insure none Spanish cars, although you might find one that will take your money and smile and say it's OK, I wouldn't like to be the one in an accident with their cover. If it's on the road it should have insurance and that will include 'any driver over 25' as a rule so as long as the last owner gives you permission you could drive it on the remaining cover.

This message was last edited by panda31 on 21/11/2013.

Like 0      
21 Nov 2013 6:23 PM by K 5ive Star rating in Cambrils. 116 posts Send private message

Rather impossible as the car is in Barcelona and not insured at present. The owner bought it in Italy as he said cars are cheaper there. Temporary plates then untill registered? Is that a way around it? There must be a way as thousands of Spanish are going and getting german cars due to their cheapness. Europe, a free market untill you want to buy and insure a car from another country.

Like 0      
21 Nov 2013 8:11 PM by panda31 Star rating. 21 posts Send private message

I know, my A170 was from Belgium origanly but they normaly come down on a transporter.

Have a word with you local ITV station, they are usually very helpfiull

or

just wing it drive it anyway.

Like 0      
28 Nov 2013 7:48 AM by ashleygreen Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Thank you for so many helpful suggestions.

Like 0      
28 Nov 2013 8:32 AM by carl9 Star rating. 136 posts Send private message

Surely this would be in import in the same way "some" of us Brits inport our UK registered cars onto Spanish plates - I've done it a couple of time. Bit of a phaff but doable. Best to use a Gestor I found.

As non resident, Brits are however able to drive on UK plates for 6 months before they have to inport the car officially. I think it's very different for residents though.

Carl

Carl

Like 0      
28 Nov 2013 9:34 AM by panda31 Star rating. 21 posts Send private message

" I think it's very different for residents though.

Carl"

Very much so. Residents were able to drive for six months, then three but now itis NONE, drive down on your UK plates, MoT and Insurance as a visiter can but then one must immidiatly change to Spanish plates.

I was in the ITV Monday getting my BMW E30 tested when a very nice, well dress Greman lady in her late years came in and asked for an ITV on her German car. Much to her surprise she was told "NO" you must have it tested in Germany and get TUV. So no test means no valid insurance as they all want proof of roadworthyness, (test).

But back to the Italian car. as it seems to be in an unregistered state so the only way would be to get a 'special' test appointment, (Ithink thats about 150€) have a grua take it to the main ITV station and change it there which will incure vehicle value tax, import tax, admin fee, etc., we had to do it with 14 unregistered vehicles when strting up a business, one by one on a transit flat bed, right pain.

Like 0      
28 Nov 2013 10:07 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Panda    Much to her surprise she was told "NO" you must have it tested in Germany and get TUV. So no test means no valid insurance as they all want proof of roadworthiness, (test).

I have do not have any very recent knowledge but it’s always been possible, at some ITV stations,  to get an ITV for a UK reg vehicle (so probably any vehicle) however, that has no significance in UK, and as I have said many times before, an ITV / MOT only means it was roadworthy at the moment it was tested.

In the recent past I have asked insurance companies about requirements for a vehicle to have a valid ITV / MOT in relation to Insurance, there is (or at least never was, pretty sure it has not changed) any requirement. That said, if one fails to maintain a vehicle in a roadworthy condition, it invalidates the cover.

I cannot recall, in the past 26 years, that on taking up residence in Spain, one ever had more than ONE month to get a non-Spanish registered vehicle registered in Spain. However, non residents could drive a non-Spanish reg vehicle for up to 6 months in a year.  (I do not know if that law has been changed).

A person who is resident can drive a non-Spanish reg vehicle in exceptional circumstances, e.g. an emergency, a mechanic testing for a fault,  etc.  

Like 0      
28 Nov 2013 11:26 AM by panda31 Star rating. 21 posts Send private message

You really must get up to date.

Current legal situation is.

RESIDENTS do no longer have a period of grace, one must reregister your none Spanish car straight away, give or take a few weeks to get it sorted.

An ITV is only valid for this purpopuse, one may NOT drive a none Spanish car on an ITV.

Insurance can only be issued in the counrty of registration, in the UK that's from a MIB company, (Motor Insurers' Bureau.), Aparently Ibex will insure Spanish, UK and Gibratar cars in Spain but I question the legality of that as it contridicts UK law.

PROOF of roadworthyness is required and unless I'm mistaken an ITV/MoT/TUV etc is the only way of doing that and back to the above.

ITV stations will not do the annual test on none Spanish cars.

DVLA "My vehicle is covered by foreign insurance. Why can't you accept the Certificate?Insurance companies conducting business within the UK must be members of the Motor Insurance Bureau. There is nothing to prevent non-UK insurers from becoming members of the MIB but none have, chosen to do so yet. "

Goes around in circules but it doesn't matter how one wants to thonk or what is said down the pub, that is the way it is.

Like 0      
28 Nov 2013 12:17 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Sorry Panda but most of what you just posted is incorrect.   But having explained the real situation so many times I see no point in doing so again.  

Like 0      
28 Nov 2013 12:58 PM by panda31 Star rating. 21 posts Send private message

That's OK, just don't find yourself in MY ITV station.

Like 0      
28 Nov 2013 1:01 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Panda31

I have searched on the internet and contacted the DVLA, my solcitor here in Spain and there is no eveidence or legislation to say that the 6 month rule has changed

please tell us where you got this information from

Like 0      
28 Nov 2013 1:19 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Panda, I said,   "I have do not have any very recent knowledge but it’s always been possible, at some ITV stations

just don't find yourself in MY ITV station.

PS  I will not find myself at any ITV station with a non-Spanish reg vehicle. I have lived here 26 years and had only Spanish Reg vehicles.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

subsidised holidays for pensioners - 2 posts
Social media and job applicants - 4 posts
driving a UK reg car in Spain - 24 posts
FRAUD - SPAM - Private Message - Please do not respond !! - 8 posts
Spain is tightening the belt ! - 0 posts
New Years eve and New years day - 1 posts
ABANDONED HOUSE-IN VALLE DE LOS PINOS-ORIHUELA COSTA/ALICANTE PROVINCE- INFO PLEASE ! - 1 posts
How soon is too soon? - 5 posts
Online shopping - 2 posts
Garage Needed - 0 posts
British expats are too busy to feel homesick- do you agree? - 48 posts
How Nice - 31 posts
Anybody been in this position - 2 posts
ABANDONED HOUSE -VALLE DE LOS PINOS -ORIHUELA/ALICANTE-info-please ! - 0 posts
Price review on ITP tax payment - 1 posts
Gas Heater Servicing - 5 posts
What is the pay like? - 1 posts
Cheapest Airline? - 12 posts
Cost of advertising on this website - 2 posts
New Spanish laws...... - 24 posts
Public Parking in Guaro - 2 posts
Uploading a photo - 4 posts
Spanish/Gib border control not illegal. - 27 posts
CBL Abogados - 0 posts
car hire debit card - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x