Changing from english to spanish car

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Nov 2013 4:27 PM by Mwf Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

I have a friend who moved to spain 20 months ago bringing an english car he did a straight swop with the person he was renting his from for a spanish car. This person went back to england without giving him any papers relevant to the car. He has iva and insurance for the car but no proof that he owns it. He is non resident. They left the rented accomodation after only a couple of months and have asked on numerous occasions for the owners nie number and any documentation. What should he do

Like 0      
11 Nov 2013 10:18 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

If he can contact the owner he might try telling him/her that until the car is transferred the person shown as the owner is liable for all fines, fees, charges etc on the car.

If that does not work, I would go to a gestor.  The fees are reasonable and they save a lot of hassle.  Normally I do everything myself but I have lived in Spain 25  years and speak Spanish,

Of course the present ‘owner’ must have a written authorisation from the registered owner to be able to drive the car. I have just typed out one for son who arrives today  for a holiday,  just in case he uses my car whilst he is here.  We already have one in the car for my wife, as I am the reg. owner.

Like 1      
14 Nov 2013 10:17 PM by CathyLocky Star rating in London. 3 posts Send private message

I stick with English cars. Call me mad but I can;t get my head around sitting on the wrong side of the car. It's hard enough driving on the wrong side of the road. Some say it's easier, but I'm not so sure.

Like 0      
15 Nov 2013 11:07 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Mmmmm.....How does he know if the car is not stolen or on credit or even a hire car. I cannot imagine not asking for the registration document. Buyer beware.

Like 0      
15 Nov 2013 12:24 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Did your "Friend" give over all the papers for the English car?

If so your "Friend" is stuffed good and proper.

Has your "Friend" stll got all the papers for the English car? if so there is a few things he can do to stuff him back.

More the fool your "Friend"

Like 0      
15 Nov 2013 12:40 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Baz, unless things have changed, in the UK if one writes to the DVLA  and tells them they are the new owner of a vehicle, it can registered in their name without any notification from the previous owner.. 

Of course in Spain it not so simple, that is why I suggest a Gestor.

Like 0      
15 Nov 2013 1:33 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

As this seems to have happened roughly 20 months ago, lets say 15 months,  it's possible that two lots of MOT's have been done since, so DVLA now have records of the car, same with road tax and insurance.

But in the first instance...

When the "Friend" tried to register the car in England with DVLA into said "Friends" name DVLA would have written to the last registered owner to ask that person have you sold your car?, if they didn't answer back within a few weeks it would have been registered into the new keepers name, if the correct owner said NO i never sold it, then NO new registration document would be issued into "Friends" name.

Also the correct legal owner should have notified DVLA of the new owners name and address where ever they lived.

if the old owner hasn't told DVLA of the sale they are still liable for fines, insurance etc, even not telling DVLA they sold it also carries a hefty fine.

To obtain a new tax disc, presuming at some point the "Friend" needed one, the car had to have insurance papers in the same name as on the registration document.

So far the post is by the way of not all being told dubious.

As we all know their is an almost 100% correct way of doing this, finding out who own's  / has the car, and doing something about this, but this is where it all falls down, England at the moment is all but totally corrupt when it comes to, for this post cars, so anything and everything can be overridden...If you know how.

I sold 5 cars in a batch a while ago to Eastern Europeans who were going to export them, when they came back to pick them up they asked me for some tape to stick the tax disc's in the screens.....I asked how did you get the tax disc's?...they said same as you, from the Post Office.....I said, okay how did you get the tax disc's....... when i still have all the papers then? oh we have friends in Post Office, they paid double the correct amount, i have no doubt they didn't export them... as i say corrupt.

The "Friend" didn't even have to come back to England to register this car, the local English and Spanish newspapers carry an advertisement from an English chap who "Sorts" out a new registration document, new MOT, new tax disc, everything you would need, and in some cases registered the papers with DVLA, he has just been caught, given next to no sentence or fine.... his knowledge has been passed on to his heirs.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

driving licence - 2 posts
Noah's ARC Christmas E-card is HERE! - 0 posts
Europa Network take unauthorized amounts from my bank - 3 posts
where & when can i buy this? - 1 posts
ECB cuts benchmark rate to 0.25% - 0 posts
New Year in Spain - 2 posts
SQUATTERS AND BARKING DOGS - 1 posts
residency in Spain - 7 posts
Holiday rental properties wanted - 0 posts
Astra 28 degrees east new satellite free to air HD Channel. - 0 posts
Barcelona Notary Question - 4 posts
Reputable builders in san Javier area ,Murcia - 0 posts
Satellite dishes: community / municipality rules - 0 posts
URBANISATION COMMITTEE MEETINGS - 1 posts
San Jose contact required please - 2 posts
property survey - 2 posts
Legal tip 1061. Work with our team coach - 0 posts
Extra Fees to cover Shortfall due to Debtors - 33 posts
Squatters - 3 posts
Transferring U.S Dollars INTO Spain (La Caixa) - 10 posts
Looking for a campingsite in the south - 6 posts
Vista-del-Rey - 3 posts
MJV Winter Flights - Don't Believe Murcia Today! - 7 posts
satalite dish size to receive freesat in benidorm - 2 posts
New Healthcare Option for Those Without Cover - 19 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x