train to Granada

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
31 Oct 2013 9:55 PM by mcfc123 Star rating in Bury/camposol. 35 posts Send private message

Hi everyone

We are coming back over on the 20th back to are villa on camposol,we are looking to go to Granada for a few days but we do not want to drive ,does anyone know where we can get the train?

Look forward to hear from you.

mcfc123

Like 0      
01 Nov 2013 5:54 AM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

Hi

It seems that the only way is to get a train to Madrid and then another to Granada. It is about 4 hours to Madrid and another 4 hours plus from Madrid to Granada. It might be an idea to look at coach trips which are advertised in your local free press as they would only take about 5 hours to Granada. One company is Daves Coaches but I have not used them.

I assume you have looked at the Renfe site  to check all your train options

Good luck

Like 0      
01 Nov 2013 9:05 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Hi...

Just not a practical proposition by train. Renfe routings are from Totana or Cartagena then northbound via Barcelona with a journey time in excess of 24 hours!

Coach company Alsa have routings from Totana to Granada taking 4hrs 35 minutes costing 38.44€ return or from Cartagena to Granada, approx same journey time costing 53.22€ return.

Coach tickets from Alsa can be booked online if you have access to a printer where you can print off an e-ticket, or can be booked in advance in person at any Alsa booking office. You cannot normally just turn up on the day and buy tickets from the driver on any longhaul Alsa route.Alsa are a part of National Express but infinitely more reliable than their UK counterparts!

Website is at http://www.alsa.es/en/

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
01 Nov 2013 9:50 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Why not this way foxbat ?, must admit I've not looked at in depth.

STATION ARRIVAL DEPARTURE
CARTAGENA   08.50
TORRE-PACHECO 09.01 09.02
BALSICAS-MAR MENOR 09.07 09.08
MURCIA 09.34 09.36
CIEZA 10.07 10.08
CALASPARRA 10.24 10.25
HELLIN 10.48 10.49
ALBACETE-LOS LLANOS 11.27 11.29
LA RODA DE ALBACETE 11.46 11.47
VILLARROBLEDO 12.04 12.05
SOCUELLAMOS 12.15 12.16
ALCAZAR DE SAN JUAN 12.34 12.35
MADRID - ATOCHA CERCANIAS 14.02 14.04
MADRID-CHAMARTIN 14.16  
MADRID-PUERTA DE ATOCHA   15.05
CORDOBA 17.02 17.03
ANTEQUERA-SANTA ANA 17.42 17.43
ANTEQUERA-CIUDAD 18.22 18.23
LOJA-SAN FRANCISCO 19.12 19.13
GRANADA 19.45  

Like 0      
01 Nov 2013 10:32 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

TeamGB... Yep looks do-able. How did I miss that one! Station change in Madrid involved but the two staions are linked by Metro and Cercanias; Timings might be a bit tight... Still a long journey time though!

There is talk of an eventual rail link between Almeria, Murcia, and Cartagena but its all a bit of a pipe dream and unlikely to happen... bit like the HS2 route in the UK; theyll spend years talking about it, spend a fortune on enquiries, another fortune on compulsory purchases and wind up with a route that has the same possibility of success as Corvera airport!

The train services into and out of Granada are appalling really; Seville and Almeria are reasonably well served but with long journey times, Algeciras too, but theres talk of the closure of this route from Antequera. Granada-Madrid served by just two direct trains a day and another two involving a change at Antequera. As for Granada -Malaga, to my mind one of the most potentially profitable routes, forget it! No  through trains at all! The currnet plans for the AVE route do not even include the possibility of a through route to Malaga. The coach company ALSA know this only too well and have an hourly service on the route with direct connections to Malaga Airport and journey times of about two hours.

This message was last edited by foxbat on 01/11/2013.

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
01 Nov 2013 8:20 PM by aly not in spain Star rating in Not far from Torre. 74 posts Send private message

Mcfc, forget the train, as previously suggested, contact either Dave's coaches, or Rosas tours (in Quesada), you can find them on the internet, or in the local free English press. I use both firms for day trips, and I know someone who used Rosa's for their trip to Granada.

Otherwise it's drive yourself, or use the coach info previously posted.

Enjoy.

Like 0      
01 Nov 2013 9:15 PM by hosilverlining Star rating in Property owner in Gr.... 173 posts Send private message

We have a property in Granada and earlier this year travelled via Alsa coach for a trip to Córdoba, also some friends in Los Alcazares visited us and came via coach from Murcia(4hrs).  The bus station is a little out of Granada city centre but there are regular local buses departing from outside the bus station.  We found that comparing train to coach, the times for the trips we looked at were virtually the same and the coach is of course a lot cheaper.  When you book your seat on line you also book your seats.   If there is anything I can help you with re Granada McFc send me a message.  Have a great trip, Granada is a great place to visit. You might need some warmer clothes for the evenings, the temperatures can drop and also check the forecast for rain, when the snow falls on the Sierra Nevada, Granada can be wet!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Villa/Apartment wanted for rent in or near Benelmadena - 0 posts
Landlord said against law to tranfer bills to tenants name - 7 posts
Freeview in Spain - 4 posts
Any advice on buying Spanish properties to rent to locals in Jaen region - 3 posts
Sat Dish - Help please - 2 posts
Trying To Contact L. M. at Eurobogados, Vera - 5 posts
A CostaLuz Lawyers angry client - 0 posts
Eating Chorizo - 3 posts
PAYING SPANISH DIRECT DEBITS FROM UK - 21 posts
Withhold facilities to community debtors - 3 posts
Accessing Community Forums - 3 posts
USA bugged has 60 million phone calls in Spain - 2 posts
INTERNET TV - 16 posts
Imputed non resident property tax - 1 posts
Clothing/fabric dyers - 0 posts
Ryanair suitcase - 2 posts
I'm looking for a job! - 1 posts
Best Broadband in Duquesa - 2 posts
New Iphones and Ipads - 7 posts
Moro'n de la Frontera area? - 3 posts
planning permission for a swimming pool? - 3 posts
planning permission ? - 0 posts
Thank you EOS - 1 posts
Spain is back in buisness....... - 32 posts
metal doors - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x