debit/Credit Cards

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Sep 2013 1:42 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Can anyone explain why car hire companies only accept a credit card on pick-up and do not accept debit cards ? Although I have used a debit card  many times I think they have mistaken it for a credit card as it has a Visa logo on. Thanks.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
27 Sep 2013 1:50 PM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

Because they cannot charge to a Debit Card unless there are funds in the account, whereas they can with a Credit Card, like the nasty surprise fees added after you return, for traffico offences, damage etc. 

Like 1      
27 Sep 2013 3:31 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Thanks elaineG, presumeably if the debit card has the funds they can put a 'hold' on the deposit and should be accepted by them. I'll find out tomorrow and as I only have debit cards should be interesting!

Poppyseed

Like 0      
28 Sep 2013 1:34 PM by RichA4 Star rating. 351 posts Send private message

Strange! I payed for my last three hire cars at San Javier (centuro) with my cajamar debit card.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1400292606920238?ref=bookmark

Like 0      
28 Sep 2013 2:17 PM by poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

I have used my debit card too but on a couple of occasions they've insisted on a credit card which I had then. The hire later today is with Europcar through Holiday Autos and both their T&C specifically state credit cards and that debit cards won't be accepted. I'll find out soon enough.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
28 Sep 2013 2:26 PM by RichA4 Star rating. 351 posts Send private message

This is one of the reasons I decided to by a Spanish car in the UK and drive it out there, leaving tomorrow morning actually, Widely discussed on here how the hire companies are trying every way they can to extract more money from us.
Buying in the UK is the way to go the cars are 30-40 percent cheaper than in Spain, just have to make sure it's registered in Spain before you buy or you'll pay import duty and that it hasn't got any embargoes against it. I've worked it out it will pay for itself within 12-18 months so no more hire car companies to deal with.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1400292606920238?ref=bookmark

Like 0      
28 Sep 2013 2:32 PM by poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Yes we bought a small car too save on hire in Spain but this hire isn't in Spain!

Poppyseed

Like 0      
28 Sep 2013 2:34 PM by RichA4 Star rating. 351 posts Send private message

28 Sep 2013 3:02 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Long story cut short... Many years ago when we first moved here we used an American Motorhome both for transport from the UK and as a temporary home while our House in Granada was being refurbished. The MH broke down near San Sebastian in Northern Spain  and we had to organise a long haul heavy recovery vehicle to transport it from there to the Granada Camp site we were going to stay at. For insurance reasons we were not able to travel with the MH. The young lady who organised the recovery also arranged one way car hire for us from S.S. to Granada. She picked us up with a few essentials and our two dogs and took us from our breakdown site to San Sebastian.

When we arrived at the Car Hire office (Europcar) we completed the documentation and presented a La Caixa Debit Card for payment. They could not / would not accept it... only a Credit Card would do and they were quite adamant about it. Same story with an offer of a cash payment. No CC, no car... We didnt have a CC so in theory were stuck in San Sebastian. Onward travel to Granada by air or train was a non-starter because of the dogs plus we had to be in Granada to take delivery of the MH when it arrived on the back of the transporter.

The young woman from the recovery company took pity on us... she didn't have a CC either, but her Mum did... This young woman who didnt know us from Adam, other than as a client of the family recovery business, asked us to wait at the office while she went home to fetch her Mum...

40 minutes later she returned with her Mum and her credit card which she presented to the Europcar receptionist. We gave Mum and Europcar a verbal assurance that we would pay in cash for the entire hire when we returned the car to the Granada office of Europcar. This was an acceptable proposal to both Europcar and the lady in question. Once we had loaded our worldly goods and our two dogs into the hire car, with much mutual besos y abrazos, the young lady and her mum drove off with usin hot pursuit as she piloted us out of the centre of SS and onto the main carreterra to Madrid and all points South. Two days later we handed the car back to Europcar in Granada and paid the account in full using the Debit Card!

Subsequent car hires made both of Europcar and other companies have all insisted on Credit Cards; furthermore, some insist the name on the CC must be that of the hirer and main driver... which poses an occasional problem because we only have one credit card and that is in my wife's name and she doesnt drive...

Poppyseed... I hope all goes well for you, fingers crossed...

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 1      
29 Sep 2013 2:25 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Success, debit card accepted with no question. When the guy in front was asked for his Credit card he replied he had a Debit card and she just took it no problem so I knew then I was OK. Just as well  as rural  SW France shurs down at 8pm and there was a tremendous (and magnificent)  lightening storm going on too! So it appears to be random whether debit cards are accepted, same as driving licences, always just provide photo driving license but earlier this year in Manchester the stroppy woman wanted the paper part too, as I don't carry it she said she'd have to call DVLA to check for endorsements and it would cost £20 for each driver. Well I kicked up a storm so although she still phoned DVLA she didn't charge, wont go into the claim they tried to make for damage I didn't cause when I also had full insurance..........they eventually withdrew the claim and refunded the £100 they had taken off my DEBIT card......

You were lucky Foxbat!

Poppyseed

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Renting a car made easy - 0 posts
Buying a mobile home in spain. - 0 posts
Spain Sucks - 30 posts
Backward Spain - 10 posts
Form 211 - 2 posts
Peter presentation - 2 posts
Help with WIFI and Phone wanted - 6 posts
Contacting Movistar - 8 posts
The TV Sharks are circling - 0 posts
‘Second homes tax’ for residents on worldwide property - 13 posts
Estate in Pilar De la Horadada - 2 posts
Ford Iveco 7500kg Truck For Sale - 1 posts
Tile Painting - 4 posts
Flamenco Dresses - 2 posts
Online Spanish Food - 6 posts
Au Pairs for CostaLuz Lawyers team - 0 posts
Starting a scooter hire business - 5 posts
Non resident cif number - 26 posts
Press fit plumbing systems - 4 posts
Rental Investment - Apartment or Villa? - 3 posts
changing windows 7 language - 6 posts
Goldcar – even more ways to get us to part with our money. - 1 posts
Latest update Astra 20-09-2013 - 1 posts
Water Fines - 2 posts
PVA bonding - repairing a badly rendered wall - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x