NIE APPLICATION

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Aug 2013 9:32 AM by STEVEE Star rating in Urcal. 30 posts Send private message

Hi, I am needing to apply for our NIE cards and haven't much of an idea , I've read loads of articles but still have questions,

The form I believe has to be completed and handed in with your passport , 2 copies of the passport and 2 passport size pics. At a national police station, so where is that from albox ? You then get given a form in triplicate to go to your bank / a bank ? To pay the fee and return with the receipt on a different day to collect the NIE ?

I have read that it is possible to have a lawyer apply on your behalf but its expensive , is this worth it for peace of mind ?

I have found on line a supplier of bi lingual application forms if the forms are neat and correct would it be possible to get through the process with limited Spanish, or do you need a translator ?

One article spoke of queues of hundreds of people and arriving before 7 am and waiting all day to be turned away , really ?

Any advice would be welcome

Regards stevee

Like 0      
10 Aug 2013 12:57 PM by solwayiceman Star rating in Scotland. 50 posts Send private message

Hi it all depends on what part of spain you are living as to how it works. Forgret downloading anything as the forms are always changing and they will give you the correct ones when you go to the National police station to get them but as I say it all depends where you live. Oh and keep calm no matter what happens this does not happen over night and its August !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like 0      
10 Aug 2013 1:21 PM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

Sorry Stevee, but your post is confusing “to apply for our NIE cards”

The NIE is a piece of white paper.

The certificate to show that you have registered on the EI Citizens’ Register as residing in Spain, is on green paper.

When EU citizens needed a ‘Residencia’ that was a card,  but that has not existed since 2007.

I believe the system for applying is the same everywhere as the paperwork is required by the Central Government of Spain and application form is issued by them, at the National Police Documentation office for the area where you are living / staying, not locally, nor even Provincially.

Like 0      
10 Aug 2013 1:31 PM by STEVEE Star rating in Urcal. 30 posts Send private message

Hi , my original post says we're in albox , for those who aren't familiar that's Almeria in Andalusia , I have not been able to locate a national police office other than Malaga or Granada both of which are several hours drive away will these be the only ones ?

What I've read is that the NIE /NIF & residencia are now all the same thing. I am needing shortly to buy a car and tax and insure it all of which I'm told I need an NIE for?

Is this not the case.
Regards Stevee
This message was last edited by STEVEE on 10/08/2013.

Like 0      
10 Aug 2013 2:01 PM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

Whilst the number on the NIE and The EU Reg Cert are the same, the function of each is different.

If you are living in Spain, i.e. it’s now your main home,  or you have of are going to spend 90 days permanently here, then you need to register on the EU Citizens Register.

Otherwise, if you just coming as a visitor but want to buy a property, open a bank account, buy a car etc. then you need an NIE. 

They are both issued by the National Police for area where you are staying /residing.  Ask anyone in ‘your’ area where the office is. 

Like 0      
10 Aug 2013 2:12 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Accordingto a website called nextstopalmeria, there's a foreigners office in Almeria which issues the NIE. A quick search on Google shows it's on Calle Maruecos.

Like 0      
10 Aug 2013 2:36 PM by STEVEE Star rating in Urcal. 30 posts Send private message

Hi, Spain is now our percent home as of a month ago, we are renting but will buy within a yr or less but the uk car needs to go as its old and the insurance ( still uk with 90 day eu ) runs out in oct. thus pressing the issue.

Thanks for the info re the office in Almeria that's not so far.

Stevee

Like 0      
10 Aug 2013 3:07 PM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

Stevee., From what you say you need to Register on the EU Citizens Register (some call it incorrectly Residencia).  You do that at the National Police Documentation office, which Bobaol has identified for you.  Having registered you will also be Tax Resident in Spain, so will need to inform the HMRC (Inland Revenue)  in UK.

Once resident you cannot legally drive a non Spanish Reg car.

Like 0      
10 Aug 2013 8:49 PM by STEVEE Star rating in Urcal. 30 posts Send private message

Really ?
This message was last edited by STEVEE on 11/08/2013.

Like 0      
11 Aug 2013 11:17 AM by STEVEE Star rating in Urcal. 30 posts Send private message

So, reading back through info offered and PM's and from other sites I have .

I need to go to the national police office on Calle Maruecos Almeria and collect an application for the EU citizens register .
I then need to return with a completed form , passport and 2 copies , 2 passport pics, proof of medical insurance , bank statement showing more than 5009€
I will be given a form to take to my bank and pay the admin fee of 10€ or 12€ and collect the receipt.
I then need to return to the office with the receipt on the day they request to collect my registration .

At this point I have registered as an EU citizen living in Spain , so will need to advise H MRC in the uk of tax residency. I will then have 90 days to sell my uk registered car.

The car dealer wanted to see my NIE to sell me a car , having completed the above would I have an NIE or do I need to apply again for this ?

Stevee

Like 0      
11 Aug 2013 11:49 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
When you apply for residencia (actually just the register of EU nationals) it will be a dual form that also gives you the NIE.
The bit about driving a foreign car refers to owning one, the same rules that apply in UK for a Brit with a foreign registered car.
It all sounds complicated but ours went smoothly and, once you come back with the proof of payment, they generally print out the forms there and then. The residency card is a push out, credit card sized one, no photo on it though so it's not valid as ID. When it's all done, it makes things so much easier. The card has your NIE number on it and your address which seems to grease the wheels when buying something big, getting credit or even service from banks etc. You will also save on the non res bank charges and certificates.

Like 0      
11 Aug 2013 2:07 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 688 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter
In this area you need to also provide a reservation to buy a property or, in your case, a tenancy agreement, to get an NIE. Not sure if that is the same everywhere but take it just in case!

Like 0      
11 Aug 2013 3:07 PM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

Residencia exists only for non EU citizens. 

EU citizens are required to register on the EU Citizens Register if they are permanently in Spain for 90 days, are in Spain for a total of 183 in a year, or their home / family /centre of activities are in Spain.  Having done so, the piece of green paper, which is not a Residencia, nor is it proof of ID, bears a number. That number is the NIE  (Número de Identidad de Extranjero).  If one already had  an NIE then the EU Registration paper will show the same number.  

I am 99% certain that those Registered on the EU Reg, and non EU citizens who have Residencia,  cannot drive non-Spanish Reg vehicles, as owners or drivers,  except in extraordinary circumstances.

Like 0      
21 Aug 2013 8:53 PM by STEVEE Star rating in Urcal. 30 posts Send private message

Hi, been and got the ex18 form its a 2007 version . Seems ok after some bing translator . Under situation in Spain the only part that seems to fit us is not working with income and medical but this is in the residencia temporal section is this ok ?

Also we have been given 2 carbon copy 3 page forms with 10.40€ tax due on , that the lady pointed at and repeated price until we agreed with her , is this the part we take to the bank ? As I expected that on our second visit ?

Has anyone any ideas ?

Stevee

Like 0      
22 Aug 2013 7:26 AM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

The 10.40 can be paid at any bank.  Take the receipted copy with you when you submit the application at the police station

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

MY SPANISH HERO - 0 posts
Theft -a warning to all - 10 posts
Refund Process La Caixa - 0 posts
Promotion Internationals calls for 0€ throughout 2013 - 0 posts
Certificate of Energy Efficiency - 2 posts
Goldcar Car rental has just cheated me - 19 posts
New to the site but need some advice. - 7 posts
Cost of living UK / Spain - 0 posts
If the UK were to give back Gibraltar, what would the Spanish do with it? - 13 posts
Removing property from public register - 4 posts
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID - 0 posts
IS THE CORRECT WAY TO SPELL RECESSION c.o.m.p.l.a.c.e.n.c.y - 0 posts
Hi - Moving to Javea, Costa Blanca in October - a few questions! - 2 posts
Cheapest way to dial uk landlines and mobiles from a spanish landline - 5 posts
Transfer of 10k Euros from Spain (La Caixa "Resident" Account) to UK - 7 posts
Table Tennis - 4 posts
Spanish Practice - Atrévete! - 2 posts
Wood prices spain - 4 posts
Sabadellacam - 0 posts
The Costas' Best Towns and Cities - 24 posts
Fit Out Murcia - 0 posts
Gibraltar ownership - is it merely a political distraction? - 12 posts
From USA to Spain.... - 6 posts
FIRST EYE ON SPAIN WEDDING? - 38 posts
Los Alcazares - Are there any traditional 'old town' restaurants within 20/25 mins - 17 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 15

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x