Theft -a warning to all

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Aug 2013 7:28 AM by christinejoyce Star rating. 56 posts Send private message

On the 1st of August we were shopping in the big Chinese shop just before Quesada on the main road. On leaving my partner realised he didn't have his wallet which had been in a button down side pocket in his cargo trousers - I know I did tell him not a cleverchoice! The only time he thought something odd had happened was when a man who was an obvious worker in there bumped into him! he had the wallet on entering the shop, as he checked just before we went in! We reported the loss of his cards within 30 mins. Now here is the rub, two cards were used within that time, with so called PIN numbers none which were written down even in code. British bank have accepted this was the case and their investigation concluded that monies taken in that short time were fraudulent ! They stated that there was a matter of less than 10 mins from the theft to our reporting and we couldn't not have done it quicker. This included us getting back to our apartment in Formentera del Segura, and picking up the iPad and going to the local bar to access numbers etc. we are now entering our bank numbers by the way into our mobiles in case it happens in future. Now for our Spanish bank! We were returning to the Uk the next day. They said as a PIN number had been used it was not theft but our fault, we all know that organised thefts have access to creating PIN numbers , as do the banks! We were told without reporting it to a Police station they cannot consider our claim - Police station shut! On top of that we would have to report this to Police National, nearest Alicante , impossible as this was early evening now and we were leaving in the morning. We would also have to report this in person to our branch in Quesada. Nothing could be done over the phone! Only cancelling the card! Consequently we are having to return in September, incurring costs to try and resolve this! Another way Spain is in the dark ages! Without a Police report they will not consider our claim of theft, we cannot do this by phone apparently with the Police. Or even have a representative take in our report, no crime number so they will not proceed, the bank in question is Sabadel! ! Any suggestions?
This message was last edited by christinejoyce on 10/08/2013.

Like 0      
10 Aug 2013 9:21 AM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

Crimes can only be reported to the National Police or the Guardia Civil.  I believe that both forces have offices open 24/7.   You can call 902 102 112 and give details of most crimes, (In Spanish, English or French, between 9 am and 9 pm every day -  see   http://www.policia.es/denunweb/den_tel_in.html)   but you must then nominate a National Police Station, where you will sign the actual typed report.  Not signing means no report exists.  (The Guardia have said they will join the scheme, as as far as I know they have not yet done so).

Although the police can be reluctant, I have on two occasions reported crimes on behalf of friends, once to the National Police and once to the Guardia Civil.  The latter were more willing.  With the National Police I needed to ask for the complaints forms before they would take the report.   You can confirm what I say by calling the British Consulate in Madrid.

With the Spanish bank. If they will not refund your loss, insist on completing the complaints form, even if they say they will fix it. If they do then you will not need to take a copy of the form to the consumers office at the town hall.

Like 0      
10 Aug 2013 9:51 AM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

Sorry to hear about your problems reporting a theft. If it's any help, there is a Guardia Civil Station in Almoradi. You need to speak good Spanish so take someone with you if necessary.

We didn't have any problems reporting a break- in there and it was surprisingly easy and quick! Mind you, much like the UK (I'm told)  they don't do any 'detecting', just issue a crime number for your insurance company!

Like 0      
10 Aug 2013 10:00 AM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

............. they don't do any 'detecting', just issue a crime number for your insurance company!

And in which British bar did you hear that cock and bull story. ?

Of course they investigate crime. All allegations go before a judge in the First Instance Court (thats why you sign five copies when you make the report)  who then directs the course of the investigation. 

This message was last edited by elaineG on 10/08/2013.

Like 0      
10 Aug 2013 12:11 PM by OMARELL Star rating in Baldock Hertfordshir.... 47 posts Send private message

i am sorry to hear about your loss.We normally do some shopping in that Chinese  store. I usually have shorts on and have found that they are not secure my wallet sometimes fall out into the car. if going shopping i now wear trousers with long pockets and find them more secure.probably the best thing is to wear a money belt.

Like 0      
10 Aug 2013 12:27 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

Excuse me, Elaine, how rude! I was referring to OUR  experience after we had a break-in, not condeming the whole of the Spanish police. I actually wouldn't expect anything different in the UK but, being ' old school', would perhaps like to think that burgularies are taken seriously and investigated, and not just given a crime number, but as I live in the real world, know that doesn't happen.

Like 0      
10 Aug 2013 12:44 PM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

………….. much like the UK (I'm told)  they don't do any 'detecting'

“ I’m told”   But who was it that told you ?

Not for sure anyone who actual knew about how the investigation system works in Spain.  That was the point I was making,

It would be rare in Spain for the police to keep victims informed of all the steps they are taking when investigating allegations. That they do not, I can assure you does not mean they are ignoring matters. That you believe (guess) that happens in UK  is almost certainly wrong too, but I cannot speak for the UK

Elaine Gonzales

Like 0      
10 Aug 2013 12:48 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

Ask at the bank for the 'Defensor de cliente' . All banks must have one. Make an offivcial complaint to them by asking for the 'hojas de reclamación '. They can be filled in in any language . There is no requirement for it to be in spanish.

Pointo ut that the banking code stipulates that the customer is only liable for the first 150€ regardless of whether the card is used with or without a pin number. Most banks will not even impose the 150€ , but return all the money taken fraudulently.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
10 Aug 2013 1:15 PM by christinejoyce Star rating. 56 posts Send private message

Thank you for the helpful replies, since this morning after being told initially we cannot report this matter on line, we have been able to and have obtained a crime number. now the rub is, we have to go to A Police National to have this signed. Grrrrrrr! My warning thou stands, be very aware that the big Chinese Supermarket at Quesada could be operating a card/theft operation. It may be an idea not to even pay for goods there on a card, as they could be double scanning the cards too. Our cards were used to buy good (although blocked) in Spain and China!

Like 0      
10 Aug 2013 1:27 PM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

Christine,

I think you missed what I said below, at 09.21,  i.e.  "but you must then nominate a National Police Station, where you will sign the actual typed report.  Not signing means no report exists."

When you go to the National Police Station you actually make the report at that time. The info you provided on the phone is used to assist you in doing it.  The number you have is the computer reference for the police to find the info on the computer, which you gave on the phone, it not the crime report number

This message was last edited by elaineG on 10/08/2013.

Like 0      
10 Aug 2013 1:48 PM by christinejoyce Star rating. 56 posts Send private message

Many thanks, Elaine, will do. Just a shame that Sabedell will not act as Lloyds have done and refunded the monies, on our verbal report and card cancellation. We spoke with them before the bank in England. All the cash has been re embursed from them but Sabedell have us jumping through hoops and insist if they had the pin we must have had it with the card! Duurhhhh! Both cards, were according to Lloyds stopped within 30 mins of being stolen, so we have worked out that monies were being taken within 15 mins of the 'bump' from the worker! Now that's fast! So they have and we have assumed they have the card software on site to produce new PIN number! Money was taken from machine at Sabedell in Benijofer. we probably passed him in the car on the way back to Formentera!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Refund Process La Caixa - 0 posts
Promotion Internationals calls for 0€ throughout 2013 - 0 posts
Certificate of Energy Efficiency - 2 posts
Goldcar Car rental has just cheated me - 19 posts
New to the site but need some advice. - 7 posts
Cost of living UK / Spain - 0 posts
If the UK were to give back Gibraltar, what would the Spanish do with it? - 13 posts
Removing property from public register - 4 posts
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID - 0 posts
IS THE CORRECT WAY TO SPELL RECESSION c.o.m.p.l.a.c.e.n.c.y - 0 posts
Hi - Moving to Javea, Costa Blanca in October - a few questions! - 2 posts
Cheapest way to dial uk landlines and mobiles from a spanish landline - 5 posts
Transfer of 10k Euros from Spain (La Caixa "Resident" Account) to UK - 7 posts
Table Tennis - 4 posts
Spanish Practice - Atrévete! - 2 posts
Wood prices spain - 4 posts
Sabadellacam - 0 posts
The Costas' Best Towns and Cities - 24 posts
Fit Out Murcia - 0 posts
Gibraltar ownership - is it merely a political distraction? - 12 posts
From USA to Spain.... - 6 posts
FIRST EYE ON SPAIN WEDDING? - 38 posts
Los Alcazares - Are there any traditional 'old town' restaurants within 20/25 mins - 17 posts
Villa or Country House Wanted in Murcia - 0 posts
Renault Trafic T1100 - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x