ITV in Spain and changing to Spanish Plates Help Wanted. Please

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Jul 2013 2:46 PM by ocraz Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Hello I am new to this forum, has anyone had the same problem we are having with changing to Spanish Plates.

The car has mechanically passed the ITV but they will not pass it because the chassis number is not completely visible on the rear of the chassis due to rust. They are asking for proof and identificationn of the chassis number in relation to different parts of the car and they want it in Spanish. Anyone help?   I haven't a clue what they are looking for.

Teresa

Like 0      
17 Jul 2013 3:43 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

What kind of car you got that has a chassis number on the rear of the chassis?

Changing to Spanish plates? do you have English one's on the car now?

What do they want in Spanish?  the chassis numbers?

Like 0      
17 Jul 2013 3:56 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

Have you tried giving them your log book? That has all the relevant numbers.

M

Like 0      
17 Jul 2013 4:09 PM by ocraz Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

What has happened is that, we have all the paperwork changed ready for Spanish Plates but on having the MOT done, they could only find the first 2 or 3 numbers on the rear chassis as it had rusted so much. They therefore are insisting on a stamped certificate telling them that the VIN number coincides with all the Registration Details and they want it in Spanish. Unbelievable but unless we can get this they will not pass the MOT and we then cannot complete the changeover to Spanish plates. They have the Registration Certificate from DVLA plus Ficha Tecnica which is an engineers inspection in Spanish (cost a fortune), we are absolutely stuck as we don't know exactly how we can get what they are asking for.

They already have our  English Registration Certificate plus a ficha tecnica which basically was an inspection by an engineer of Colegio Oficial De Ingenieros Tecnicos Industriales and all details submitted in spanish ie: looks a bit like a Spanish version of the log book. We have temporary Spanish Plates on (green ones) insurance, the lot, but when it came to the MOT as I said above, they could only find 2 or 3 numbers.

I have a Mitsubishi Shogun Sport Equippe and apparently all cars have chassis numbers on the front and rear of the car, confirmed by Mitsubishi themselves.

Hope this explain my dilema a bit better.

Like 0      
17 Jul 2013 4:33 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Isn't it on the rear chassis by the drivers side rear wheel?  Not all the letters and numbers if you find them are the chassis number, the first one's are the model, last eight, i think are the chassis numbers.

And check your bulkhead panel, thats the bit when you open the bonnet look towards where the lower part of the windscreen ends, you might find a silver plate pop riveted to this bulkhead with all the numbers imprinted into it......Or a black paper like one on the left side of the bulkhead, as i said the first set of numbers or letters are the model, the rest the chassis.

As for having it in Spanish, could you scan your English reg / log book and transfer the scan into spanish.

Like 0      
17 Jul 2013 4:46 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

Am I right in thinking that what they want is to compare the front vin number with the back, just in case the car has been chopped? If no one can read one of the numbers I don't see how that can be proved, one way or another. Have you had this car from new?

M

Like 0      
17 Jul 2013 5:04 PM by ocraz Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Yes I think what you say is correct, they need to see the same number on front and back of car. No haven't had it from new, it's 2004 but do have original owner  small book with date of registration and guarantee date etc plus the next owners receipt invoice of purchase. I am not sure whether they mean they want a C of Conformity, but this would prove no more than the Reg Doc. What they originally were going to do was apply for a complete new number for the car and we would have to have the new chassis number cut into the rear chassis as well as put in front of the car, but now they are saying (after 3 weeks) that the ITV inspector is saying they cannot do that without the certificate they are asking for. Really cannot understand the Spanish!! They insist on it being in Spanish but the English Mitubishi have stated catagorically that it will be issued in the language of the country it was registered in, ie English. Seems to be no way out.  Any clues?

p.s. The one inside the bonnet is fine, the one they need to see is the one at the back, which has basically rusted away.  Can you advise how to scan and transfer the scan into Spanish. I know how to do a straightforward translation, but not change it into a scan.

Like 0      
17 Jul 2013 5:21 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Now you got me with computer stuff, I am basic on this stuff, well not so much basic as pretty useless....but i have done this before, i scanned the reg doc from my printer to my laptop, opened up the scan on the laptop, used the translate i have on my toolbar, to translate the whole page, that did it, then I printed it out. 

Hope that helps you.

Like 0      
17 Jul 2013 5:21 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Now you got me with computer stuff, I am basic on this stuff, well not so much basic as pretty useless....but i have done this before, i scanned the reg doc from my printer to my laptop, opened up the scan on the laptop, used the translate i have on my toolbar, to translate the whole page, that did it, then I printed it out. 

Hope that helps you.

Like 0      
17 Jul 2013 5:22 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

It does sound as though they may want a Certificate of Conformity but how you would get that now I have no idea. Sorry to be so negative .The red tape in Spain is sometimes mind blowing as they do seem to love their many bits of paper (we once needed our NIE to buy a washing machine....but that's another story!).

I'm sure that someone will tell you how to scan and translate but I can't honestly see how that will help you. I just hope that someone on here can!

M

Like 0      
17 Jul 2013 5:58 PM by ocraz Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Hi, thanks for all the replies,  Baz, what did you scan it as PDF or what? I will try and have a go at that.

xetog   I can get a C of Conformity no probs 120 pound through Mitsubishi no problem, but will I again be wasting my money? Plus it's not going to help them find the number on the chassis is it, lol!!  Spain seems to be so far behind every other country and so suspicious of everyone don't they.  I mean, would I seriously want a car that had been cut and shut or anything else dangerous done to it.

Will go back to ITV tomorrow and ask if a C o C will cover what they want, but other than a Mitsubishi stamp on it, it only contains the same as the Reg Doc from DVLA.  Have found one thing out though, it does have to be produced in the language of the country it's registered in and an EU country has to accept it in that language. Well, I look forward to trying to tell them that tomorrow because they will still insist they are right.

Really appreciate your help guys.

Like 0      
17 Jul 2013 6:04 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

Good Luck! Let us know what happens!

Like 0      
17 Jul 2013 6:07 PM by ocraz Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Certainly will, and thanks again.

Like 0      
17 Jul 2013 9:50 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Orcraz.

All i can say is i put the reg docs in my printer / scanner, scanned it to my laptop and opened it, don't mean to avoid the issue but what ever come up i then translated it via the google translate thing i have, it worked with my windows laptop, but wont with my mac laptop, other then this i cant help you anymore over this because quite simply i am not that good when it comes to computers. 

Like 0      
22 Jul 2013 9:55 AM by ocraz Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

The Inspector of ITV (MOT) requires a Mitsubishi Certificate guarranteeing that the numberplate, engine number and gearbox number......... (I don't know this, but they say Mitsubishi do have these details), corresponds to the chassis number.

However after 3 days of painstaking rubbing down, we appear to be able to see feintly the digits, so have apt with ITV today.  Fingers crossed.  But if anyone knows how or where I can get the Certificate, please let me know, just incase the digits are still not clear enough for the Spanish ITV.

Like 0      
22 Jul 2013 10:13 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

One last thing you can do or try  do you have access to a "Friendly" garage man or mechanic, if so ask them if they have a set of letter and number stamps, these are individual metal stamps, practise a little on a small piece of metal until you are happy with the result, then re-stamp the chassis numbers that you know are correct back onto the chassis plate in the correct place, stamp them onto and into the dirt...before you rub the dirt of. Dont bang to hard unless the metal is very strong.

Worth a try or what? as you dont seem to be getting anywhere doing things correctly.

Like 0      
22 Jul 2013 10:37 AM by ocraz Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Thanks baz  I am hoping that the digits can now be seen, if not to pass MOT, enough to get permission to have what you say done. A friend actually offered to do this as he has a plate set, but with my luck,  I need to try all aspects of the legal route first.

Will let you know what the ITV say later.

Like 0      
31 Jul 2013 3:29 PM by ocraz Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Well the saga is ongoing, unfortunately, ITV (MOT) did not accept either the faint numbering on the chassis nor the pictures which, when enlarged, show all vin number.  Mitsubishi here in Spain even say they are being rediculous, the Log book details and the Spanish C of C both verify the car is genuine. But no.... now they need to see a number on the engine somewhere. Does anyone know where I might find this? It is a Mitsubishi Montero Sport. Any clues?

Like 0      
31 Jul 2013 5:11 PM by casperruby Star rating. 165 posts Send private message

I was considering taking my car to spain with us but having read all this nonsense I wont bother I will purchas a car on a car lot in spain with full spanish documentation, what a pain in the butt

Like 0      
31 Jul 2013 7:01 PM by ocraz Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Well I have to agree and if it wasn't such a good low mileage Mitsubishi, I would certainly do the same.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Spain's Black Economy - 20% GDP - 28 posts
Has anyone tried 'La Vid de Ojeda' in Los Alcazares - 9 posts
House Purchase transfer tax % query - 4 posts
Visa Downloads for visiting Gibraltar - 3 posts
Changes to services provider for premiership football. Al Jazeera (JSC) wins rights. - 0 posts
Top Gear Spain BBC 2 Sunday Night - 4 posts
Wanted Scooter - Mijas Costa area - 1 posts
Personal Tax Rates comparison advice UK and Spain - 3 posts
Polaris Predator 500cc Quad bike for sale - 0 posts
Poll - 0 posts
How long does a court account cheque take to process in Spain - 8 posts
Invitation to Guinness World Record Attempt, Sun. 21July 2013, Vera Playa, Almeria - 1 posts
malaga airport parking - 1 posts
Hi, can you help please ? - 4 posts
kitchens - 0 posts
PLUS VALIA TAX advice needed - 10 posts
Retirement Age in Spain - Are they going too far? - 23 posts
Babysitter Available - 0 posts
GARDENS OF MANILVA COUNTRY CLUB - 1 posts
Car from Spain to UK and Return - 8 posts
Civil Guardia-unfair fines - 4 posts
how to delete another wifi network from computer - 5 posts
Energy Proficiency Certificate questions. - 11 posts
What´s On................ - 0 posts
Paro - Please help!! - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 21

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x