Banks now charging pensioners

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Jun 2013 12:37 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Just for information, as this may apply to other banks too.

Caja Mar  have started charging 15 euros a quarter (maintenance charge) on current accounts, which hitherto were free if one’s pension was paid into them

I had understood. like I believe many others,  that account with pensions paid into them were 'charge free' by law.   Seems I was wrong.

I have just written to the bank requesting an explanation, telling them I will shop-around and that I will publicise  their change in policy.   

I will post any reply.

Like 0      
19 Jun 2013 12:33 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Further to first post.

I sent the email copied below, to the Customer Relations Manager of Caja Mar and copied it to the manager at our branch.

I had a prompt reply from my branch offering to ‘put things right.’

This morning I went to my branch and the manager cancelled the existing and future charges on the two accounts,  transferred my son's D/Ds and S/Os to my account and cancelled that account, which was OK with me as I operate the account with POA  anyway.    Now instead of us paying a total of 180 euros p.a. on three accounts,  there is no charge.

Incidentally,  she said the idea which many of us have i.e. that pensioners who have their pension paid into their accounts cannot by law be charged maintenance charges, is not correct: It is a matter for the bank to decide.

This is my email, just for info:- 

I have been banking with you for over 10 years, and until now, have been very satisfied with the services you provide.  I have recommended the bank to friends and associates and also in on line in forums etc.

On my recommendation, my son and my wife also have accounts with you.

Just, by chance, this morning  I checked my account on-line, and discovered that my account, as above, has been debited with 15 euros as a quarterly ‘Maintenance Charge.’

I called the office and was told that I should (but I did not) have received a letter informing me that all accounts will incur the charge, but that if I go to the office (I am 73, find somewhere to park and pay the parking fees, queue for maybe an hour) as a customer with my  UK pension being paid into my account,  I can have the charge cancelled, and thus revert to the contract conditions which I, and all your other customers with pensions being credited to our accounts,  previously enjoyed.

I am applauded that you have decided to treat your customers in this way, and would ask that my concern be passed on to a senior member of your staff. ...................................

............................................   I intend consulting other banks to see what they offer and will then publish my findings on English web sites and (as a regular contributor of letters and articles to several papers)  in  the English Language newspapers with circulation  throughout the Iberian Peninsular.     However, anticipating there has been an error, in that the bank did not intend to impose the charges,  I will wait 7 days for your reply before embarking on that course .

This message was last edited by johnzx on 19/06/2013.

Like 0      
19 Jun 2013 1:16 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

This has nothing to do with the problems with your Spanish bank John but if any folk on here are using Lloyd's TSB banks in England to transfer money to accounts in Spain they might like to check to see if the new regulations that are happening will affect them,  quite a few changes are taking place and it seems some are not for the best just yet, which might affect standing orders or transfers.

Even some money people have admitted that many of Lloyd's customers have no idea about the changes, might have no effect at all on any one's overseas accounts....but we are talking about banks here. ....worth a check maybe.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

CAR REGISTERING - 5 posts
peaceful site to place my mobile home currently based Torrox Costa - 0 posts
PRINTER CARTIDGES REFILLS - 1 posts
Property buyers bypassing banks - 1 posts
AMAZON (uk) NO LONGER OFFERING FREE DELIVERY TO SPAIN! - 2 posts
NEW BUREAUCRACY FOR LIMITED COMPANIES - 3 posts
SUMA EMAIL - 0 posts
yoga retreats - 0 posts
Meds in Spain - 12 posts
PROCEDURE FOR BUYING A PROPERTY FROM SOMEONE - 35 posts
UK TV reception Costa Blanca Spain - 2 posts
Mijas Costa, radar speed control - 0 posts
Space to park my caravan wanted... - 0 posts
dodge property rental in pueblo bravo - 3 posts
Powering Community Pool heating and Garden Lights by SOLAR POWER - 0 posts
EUROPA Network ADSL - bad experience. - 5 posts
Property prices, bad news continues - 8 posts
CERTIFICADO DE RETENCIONES‏ - 1 posts
Parking at lloret de mar?? - 1 posts
European car insurance for stolen or undriveable vehicle? - 0 posts
Supermarkets in Sebanillas - 1 posts
Property in spain - 5 posts
Want to learn Spanish Online - 3 posts
Claiming off Staysure Travel Insurance - 0 posts
Fuengirola Electrician - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x