How Spanish are you ?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Jul 2007 12:00 AM by SteveandJane Star rating in Somerset and Corvera.... 481 posts Send private message

SteveandJane´s avatar

How Spanish are you, or at least how Spanish do you feel ?

Funny how your loyalties change when you've just bought an atico on a golf developement in Murcia !

Whilst watching the "British" Open over the weekend my Mother said how good it was that Padraig Harrington was at the top of the leaderboard, to which my wife Jane replied, "We're supporting Sergio Garcia because after all we are 'half Spanish now'!

Where's my British Passport gone?  Steve

Steve (Lifestyler)

Like 0      
23 Jul 2007 7:51 PM by AuntieEm Star rating in Scarborough. 287 posts Send private message

AuntieEm´s avatar

good to hear you have "gone native" already!

If only we could pick up "la lengua" as easily -  I get all sorts of odd looks when i try out my Spanish, goodness knows what i am saying!

Like 0      
23 Jul 2007 9:46 PM by davmunster Star rating in Carvajal\Belfast. 843 posts Send private message

davmunster´s avatar
Padraig is of course no more "British" than Sergio - they are both Europeans and I for 1 was pleased to see that the British Open was for once being contested by 2 of "our own" rather than those pesky Americans!

David

Like 0      
24 Jul 2007 8:56 AM by johnone Star rating in La Reserva de Marbel.... 233 posts Send private message

johnone´s avatar

The Championship you refer to is the Open as any "Golfer" knows not the "British Open"

The Open Championship is the oldest of the four major championships in men's golf. It is the only major held outside the USA and is administered by the R&A, which is the governing body of golf outside the U.S. and Mexico. The event takes place every year on one of nine historic links courses in the United Kingdom. In 2007, The Open had a prize fund of £4.2 million (at the time, approximately 6.197 million or $8.638 million). Historically, The Open's prize money was consistently the least of the four majors; since 2002 it has been the highest. The tournament is sometimes referred to as the British Open by the ill informed (usually Americans) although it has never been played in Wales. The Open is played on the weekend of the third Friday in July, and is the third major to take place each year following The Masters and the U.S. Open and before the PGA Championship. The Open features a four hole playoff for all golfers tied at the end of regulation. It begins on the first hole, and then moves to the 16th, 17th, and 18th. If any golfers remained tied at this point, they play the 18th hole over and over until there is a winner.

Dime con quién andas y te diré quién eres.

Like 0      
24 Jul 2007 2:47 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Perhaps another interesting question would be - how Spanish do the Spaniards think/feel you are?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
24 Jul 2007 7:10 PM by davmunster Star rating in Carvajal\Belfast. 843 posts Send private message

davmunster´s avatar
I don't think the Spanish think we're Spanish at all - even if we half learn their language we are still outsiders who are tolerated because of the economic benefits. We may go to their restaurants and spend money in their shops but you don't find the native Spanish using foreign owned businesses - even the ones that are very good!

David

Like 0      
26 Jul 2007 8:53 AM by SteveandJane Star rating in Somerset and Corvera.... 481 posts Send private message

SteveandJane´s avatar

Hi Johnone

Thanks for misreading my post as "British Open" rather than "British" Open. I too have been a "Golfer" for 35 years and have always know it as The Open. Remembering not all people who are on this forum are "Golfers" so sometimes I deem it neccessary to "Define" the location of the championship in question for their benefit. However I applaud you in giving everyone a history lesson of the same.

PS. Although there is a four hole playoff it may only be at Carnoustie that they use the 1st, 16th, 17th and 18th, depending on course layout.

Best regards your fellow Mensan ......Steve

Steve (Lifestyler)

Like 0      
26 Jul 2007 11:02 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
In terms of how the Spanish see us.....well, to them, we're not Spanish at all.  I myself certainly don't feel Spanish and even though I speak really good Spanish I'll always be a "guiri" here.

In terms of loyalties, well, Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton are in the same team.  No guesses as to who I'm supporting!

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
26 Jul 2007 10:32 PM by davmunster Star rating in Carvajal\Belfast. 843 posts Send private message

davmunster´s avatar
As Susan says learning Spanish so the local population accept us as part of their community is a complete waste of time! I don't think we should even try to be "natives" Being sensitive to the local environment and the way things are done in Spain is fine. We may not be costing the Spanish tax payer the way many immigrants in the UK do but we do have an impact and while not apologising I think we should be aware of it.

David

Like 0      
26 Jul 2007 11:22 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

"....learning Spanish so the local population accept us as part of their community is a complete waste of time!"

Quite true. Anybody asked a resident Argentinian, for example, how accepted he feels here? I think learning Spanish and using it as much as possible, whatever level you have attained, is a good way of showing repsect for our hosts, which will sometimes but by no means always be appreciated, but anybody who thinks that it makes them blend in and feel "accepted" (and I've met plenty) is sadly fooling themselves. I've had lengthy conversations with a Mexican friend, whose Spanish is arguably better than the average Andalucian's, and he feels just as much an "alien" here as I do.

Interesting thread!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
27 Jul 2007 9:22 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
This is an interesting thread!

Anyone any more opinions?

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
27 Jul 2007 9:52 AM by Rusty2712 Star rating in Benalmadena Costa. 71 posts Send private message

Hi, been reading this thread and there are some interesting comments coming out.

I go along the lines of I will never be Spanish but it will not stop me from integrating as much as I can. I have some really good Spanish friends who accept me for being me not for being English.

I think some people do accept you into the community and some don't, just the same in the UK really. The majority of people I have met are very friendly and accommodating. I used to live between Granada and Jaen in a small village, we were the second British family to move in and on the 1st night we were greeted at our door by a group of 15 Spanish women who wanted to talk to us and make us feel welcome, one of them even bought a Spanish/English dictionary with her so she could try and explain. We all got by and had a great time. After this we were inundated with invitations to their homes and weddings etc.

Maybe I am not fully accepted but I feel most welcome.

Regards to everyone

Russ

Like 0      
27 Jul 2007 5:48 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

"Maybe I am not fully accepted but I feel most welcome."

Another good point, and one that happily I also find to be mostly, but again not always, the case.

I have a Spanish neighbour who recently commented to me that he finds it strange that the Chinese community (which is quite substantial here in Torremolinos now) do not seem to want to make any attempt to integrate. Perhaps I don't find it quite so strange because a) as a foreigner I know how unwelcome you can sometimes be made to feel no matter how hard you try and b) because coming from England, I'm very used to the idea of various different nationalities/cultures all living in the same area, while still keeping pretty much to their own. The very concept of a "Chinatown" as in London or Liverpool or many American cities is probably quite alien to the Spanish.

The same Spanish neighbour has a baby son named Luis. The other day in passing he said, jokingly (although many a true word is spoken in jest) to his son, "watch out, here comes the Englishman - they stole Gibraltar!" or words to that effect. I retorted to his son (jokingly?!) that his daddy named him Lewis, because he'll do better in life with that name than if he called him Fernando! Without wanting to get drawn into the Gib debate (either with my neighbour or here in the forum) I didn't mention anything about Spain claiming to have more right to "possess" Ceuta or Melilla than Britain does Gibraltar.......

I have another part-time Spanish neighbour - he lives most of the year in Extremadura. On his latest  visit, he decided to take over tackling a community problem that has so far beaten me as president, namely getting an intermittent fault on our automatic garage door fixed. He presumed, I believe, that my 18 months effort had failed to produce results, because I was probably being given the run around by the spectacularly dismal company (based in Fuengirola, name on request) on account of me being a foreigner. I did feel that he may be right to a point, but it's interesting that he thought that one of his "own" would behave that way. Takes one to know one? Anyway, to cut a long story short, after 2 months of intense effort, he got precisely nowhere with the problem, and concluded that it was because "this is Andalucia". It would never happen in Extremadura of course!

The first neighbour I mentioned has often expressed to me his dislike of Catalans (he is Andalucian). So the North / South divide in all it's permutations is alive and well here in Spain as well!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
27 Jul 2007 11:38 PM by davmunster Star rating in Carvajal\Belfast. 843 posts Send private message

davmunster´s avatar
I visited a factory I did business with about 100k from Seville with their (English) agent. He spoke Spanish. On the way we stopped at a little village "pub" for something to eat. The locals were certainly not used to seeing visitors. The agent ordered and the food was good. but my lasting impression was that my "hola" and "buenos diaz" were more appreciated than his "full on" Spanish. (I think they thought he was a bit of a **** - which he was!). I don't know the people beyond Andalucia but my experience is of a tolerant people who if treated respectfully respond magnificantly but who all to often have seen the wilder excesses of some holiday makers and are therefore wary of foreigners until they get to know them. 

David

Like 0      
28 Jul 2007 9:05 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Davmunster

how true, back in the early nineties, my wife and i had several good holidays in Spain. The best two by far were touring round on my Kawaski 900 motorbike. We got such a welcome everywhere we stayed, and in the small villages the locals would come out and gather round us with their young kids in fascination at the bike. The reception we got was always freindlier than we used to get touring in britain. Even at the time we were very aware that the fact we were on holiday was much to do with the 'good'  feeling, but it still left us with a real love of Spain and its people.

Sadly, five years ago it changed very much for the worse for us when we attemped to buy an appartment. Thanks to bad UK agents getting us involved with bad UK and Spanish lawyers and an even worse Spanish developer, we have now had 5 five years of being swindled, worry and stress and like many, are the middle of a long and expensive court battle to get our deposit back. It's sad how it makes us feel, the very word 'Spain' now fills us with sadness and despair at their justice system, and it's the last place we would want to visit at the moment. Such a shame, i just hope one day we will feel the same way as we did once. We were made to feel very welcome by the 'real' people of Spain, and i hang on to that memory.

Like 0      
28 Jul 2007 3:02 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Hi All. Having lived here for over 12 years now, I feel totally at home. I must admit to my spanish not being as fluent or as quick as it should be but mainly that is because most of my clients are english!

Both my children are totally fluent and have lived teh spanish way since 4 and 5 years of age. However, they cant stay up as late as the spanish children without being incredibly grumpy the following morning and I doo see differences in the culture which I think is in the blood.

I do wonder if by having their full education in Spain but being british will hold them back in the future and I was told about a couple of fathers at the rugby club who are changing their sons passports to Spanish nationals to help them in their quest to join the army or the police!

I havent felt alienated at all - maybe down to the mix of blood I carry - but sometimes feel I let myself down by not fully knowing the language. Workwise its never been a problem and in attempting anything within the system I have never felt held back - a try at the language and a broad smile seems to open all doors imaginable!

This message was last edited by Rixxy on 7/30/2007.

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

LIVING IN A CARAVAN - 15 posts
Peraleja Property for sale - 1 posts
What is required to rent - 3 posts
Server problems - 2 posts
Could someone outside of the UK check flights for me please? - 7 posts
arenal duquesa - 1 posts
Wanting to know about Costa Calida / South Costa Blanca - 4 posts
Mortgage or Cash - 9 posts
IT'S OFFICIAL! - 14 posts
irene montague - 8 posts
try again.....info on CB anyone????? - 12 posts
moving to Alicante/Rafal - 1 posts
Property Management wanted in Vera - 2 posts
Development discussions - 8 posts
HI im new ,help !!!!!!!!! - 4 posts
Im new ,need advice !!! - 8 posts
Looking for a Spanish Mortgage - 23 posts
Golden Retriever to Spain - 21 posts
Last 20 messages posted? - 2 posts
Congrats to Auntie Em 100th post - 31 posts
dream hills anybody there - 6 posts
Recommended by member JC1 ( Good Shout ) - 2 posts
Power of Attorney - 7 posts
Costa Del sol - 30 posts
spiderbish - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 16

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x