Costa Del sol

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Jul 2007 12:00 AM by sazzle Star rating in Scotland, soon to be.... 45 posts Send private message

Hello all

We are considering a move to Costa Del sol, can anyone give me any advise on Areas and how things work with schools, should I be looking at school once we pick apartment or other way round. HELP!!!!

Sazzle

Like 0      
19 Jul 2007 11:38 PM by hobby Star rating in Hertfordshire/Estepo.... 155 posts Send private message

hobby´s avatar

Hi Sazzle

Welcome to the forum!   I think you'll find everyone has their own opinion on the best way to go about a permanent move, but generally the most favoured route is to rent somewhere to get a feel for the area you think you may want to live in and to give you a chance to research the schools etc.  There are good International schools on the CDS but then you may want your children to go to a spanish school; does the childrens education have priority over where you work; will you have your own car or have to rely on  public transport to get you to these places; do you want to live in a predominantly spanish or english community?     All these issues would need to be addressed and a lot of them can only be answered if you 'try before your buy', sorry that was corny!

Im sure there are many members on the forum who have already moved to spain who can advise you from their own experiences, Justin for one, - do read the blogs that both he and susan have written along with the various message boards covering the subject - theres a minefield of information but you'll need few days to work your way through them!!

Best of luck and hope you make the right choice,

Jackie

Like 0      
20 Jul 2007 9:05 AM by sazzle Star rating in Scotland, soon to be.... 45 posts Send private message

Hi and thanks for the info.

Def want kids to go to a British School as my eldest (11) is quite shy and I think she would settle better in a british school.

My husband works offshore for 2 weeks at a time so I would be looking for somewhere very central with amenities at the ready so that i was not fed up when he was away. I would not be too bothered about working straight off as my youngest child is only 3.

I looked at Mijas which seemed nice but not sure what school the catchement is in.

Its all very scary. I have been looking at apartments to rent and some have good deals but I do want to make sure I can get Katy into a british school.

any suggestions?

Like 0      
20 Jul 2007 9:59 AM by rowlandsbb Star rating in Gloucestershire &Hue.... 779 posts Send private message

rowlandsbb´s avatar

Try Costa Blanca South

Smaller version of Costa del Sol but cheaper English Schools, better value property and cheaper to live 

Like 0      
20 Jul 2007 10:53 AM by hobby Star rating in Hertfordshire/Estepo.... 155 posts Send private message

hobby´s avatar

Cant suggest any schools as I only have a holiday home there and as my brood are in either college or university, havent really seen the need to investigate, sorry!

Do you have any reason why you have set your sights on the CDS?  As rowlandsbb rightly states, the further up the coast you go property and cost of living is a lot cheaper than CDS,  for what we paid for our apartment in Estepona we could have bought a four bed detached villa with pool further up!!! Hubbys choice, he plays golf a lot and knows the marbella area very well, we also have a lot of friends with properties in the area so he naturally decided to follow suit, bless him! (He uses the place more than me anyways, so it made sense.)

As I have already suggested, I know it sounds daunting, but honestly an awful lot of your questions have already been answered in various message boards. If you go to search forums and type in keywords,i.e spanish schools, the search engine on the forum will bring up all the threads relating to your request, its very easy and quicker than trawling through every single message board!                   

As for area etc, thats entirely your choice, you know what you want and only by going out there and if you can, rent for a few weeks at a time, will you really get to know what you do and dont want.    Beware though of where you do buy eventually, some urbanisations, like ours, are 80 -85% holiday homes with the minority being used as a residence all year round, it could be quite lonely if you buy on an urbanisation like this, especially with young children.

best of luck

Jackie

Like 0      
20 Jul 2007 11:28 AM by miket Star rating in La Mairena, Elviria. 371 posts Send private message

Sazzle,

Here is a list of Schools that follow the British or International Cirriculum. I've visited St Anthony's close to Mijas and Fuengirola and Cala De Mijas that employs many English Teachers. Very pleasant and safe environment where the majority of children are English speaking. There are questions though about the standards achieved at secondary levels? You would of course need to check them all out? If you are interested in any just run your mouse over the blue highlighted college names and click to access more info!

Prices range from around 5,000 euros pa up to 10,000 euros and you can book/pay on a term by term basis with some.

Aloha College
Aloha College is an independent, co-educational day school for pupils aged 3-18. It is situated in Nueva Andalucia, on the outskirts of Marbella, overlooking the Mediterranean Sea. Aloha seeks to provide a safe, stimulating and happy environment in which all of the pupils can thrive. The college was founded in 1982 as a non-profit-making limited company owned by parent-shareholders and it provides an international education for pupils of some 38 nationalities.
Aloha College

Sotogrande International School
The School was  established in Sotogrande  in 1978, offers day and boarding education from three-eighteen years of age, and is convalidated by the UK and Spanish authorities. It is situated in the centre of the residential and leisure complex of Sotogrande.
Sotogrande International School

Sunland International School
Sunland International School is a co-educational day school, bilingual in English and Spanish. The school offers an international curriculum and is seeking authorization to offer the Primary Years and Middle Years Programmes of the International Baccalaureate Organisation, along with the IB Diploma. The Primary School incorporates the content and methodology of the English National Curriculum, including the literacy and Numeracy Strategies.
Sunland International School

Sunny View School
Sunny View School is a long-established (1971) international co-educational day school on the Costa del Sol, fully authorized by the Spanish Ministry of Education.
A complete British primary and secondary education is provided for all pupils from 31/2 to 18 years of age.
Sunny View School

The English International College
The English International College in Marbella,  is an international school  on the Costa del Sol that offers The English National Curriculum in an international context to more than 400 boys and girls of many nationalities aged three to eighteen years. Although the predominant language is English, being the first language of 80% of the students, the remaining 20% presents a most valuable diversity of cultures and nationalities.
The English International College

Bede?s Grammar School
Bede?s  Grammar School offers a comprehensive bilingual education to children from the ages of 2 to 12 and follows the British National and Spanish Academic Curricula. Bede?s guiding philosophy is to offer students an education of quality, based on the principles of individual freedom, decency and kindness. It values creative thinking and stimulates students to express their own ideas and personal values in an atmosphere of mutual respect.

Calpe College International School
(San Pedro Alcántara) Calpe College was established in January 1973 as a one classroom school. Since then it has expanded into a junior and a senior school, which cover two separate sites in San Pedro, making it one of the longest established schools on the Costa del Sol. Languages such as French, Swedish, German and Russian can also be studied to examination level, either as options or extra curricular activities.
Calpe College International School

Swans International Primary School
(Marbella) Swans School is an extremely well established center of excellence for children 3-12 years old. Founded in 1971, Swans combines strong values and tradition with innovative teaching and modern technology. All our fully qualified British teachers are dedicated to enhancing the learning of every child in our care.
Swans International Primary School

Benalmadena International College
(Benalmadena Costa) Co-Educational British School - Founded 1997 (Formally The English Education College) The Benalmadena International College is situated in Nueva Torrequebrada, just off the N-340 coast road, between Benalmadena and Fuengirola. Nueva Torrequebrada is a new, exclusive urbanisation just metres from the sea and an established golf course.
Benalmadena International College

St. Anthony's College
(Fuengirola) St. Anthony?s College was established in 1968. It is an officially recognised bilingual school offering an English curriculum from Reception (age 3) to GCSE and GCE Advanced Level (age 18+) together with Spanish EGB, BUP and COU. The college is situated at Km. 5.25 on the Camino de Coin (known as the "Mijas Golf Road").
St. Anthony's College

Mayfair Academy
(Estepona)
Mayfair Academy is a Private International Primary and Secondary  School which provides a first class education for students, between the ages of 5 and 18. Unique to the coast Mayfair also has an alternative Sports, Skills, Study &Career Technology Curriculum. Mayfair is located 5 minutes from San Pedro.

This message was last edited by miket on 7/20/2007.

This message was last edited by miket on 7/20/2007.

Mike T

Like 0      
20 Jul 2007 3:42 PM by valf Star rating in Dundee...Scotland. 62 posts Send private message

valf´s avatar
Miket,great details of schools in cds.I am moving there next year but my youngest son has special needs do you know which schools provide the best help for these type of children or is there not much help at all. Thanks

Like 0      
20 Jul 2007 4:03 PM by miket Star rating in La Mairena, Elviria. 371 posts Send private message

Sorry Valf but not aware aware of any special needs facilities at any of these schools!  You could try contacting the British Consulate who may be able to point you in the right direction?

Good Luck!
Address: Consulado General Británico
c/ Mauricio Moro Pareto, 2
Edificio Eurocom
29006 Malaga

E-mail: malaga@fco.gov.uk
Not to be used in case of emergency

Tel.: (+ 34) 952352300
Fax: (+ 34) 952359211

The British Consul is Mr. Bruce McIntyre

Mike T

Like 0      
20 Jul 2007 5:40 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I know nothing about schools, other than to suggest this website for listings of all British schools in Spain: http://www.nabss.org/ I also know nothing about kids in Spain (other than they are generally very noisy and they annoy me!) but I would tend to agree with the advice already given here, i.e. rent first until you're sure about where you want to be; CB is generally cheaper than CDS for property; don't buy on an urbanization in the sticks that will be empty for 10 months of the year; try to find somewhere to live where you won't be car-dependent etc etc.

All the best of luck to you!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
20 Jul 2007 9:56 PM by sazzle Star rating in Scotland, soon to be.... 45 posts Send private message

Thanks for all your help then, Most people suggesting I look at costa blanca south. So I am doing that at the moment, as I have seen the prices already for schools are a hell of a lot cheaper!

will try another thread on Torrevieja

thanks again

sazzle

Like 0      
21 Jul 2007 7:26 AM by Pedro66 Star rating in Costa del Sol. 1 posts Send private message

Hi there...
I have just joined EOS and  thought I would add  my 2 cents ( for what it's worth )
I live on the Costa del Sol or (concrete city), I'm retired and now looking to make my last move I have spent the last week in the Murcia area looking at some new developments around Jumilla.
I moved to Spain just over 8 years ago when my daughter lived here, and love it! the only thing I can say on schools is if your kids are not teenagers get them straight into a local Spanish school.
If Spain is going to be their home they will make new local friends and pickup the language far quicker, the fees for the English schools are expensive  and from my daughters experience  she regreted not getting her two signed up to a very good local school that was  within easy walking distance from home.
And don't forget the school run can be a nightmare and very costly if you are some distance away...
You have moved to Spain like most of us Ex Pats for something better... give them the best that Spain can offer not an expensive English alternative.

Pedro66

Like 0      
21 Jul 2007 2:41 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Pedro, hope you enjoy our forum. Thanks for input.

Like 0      
21 Jul 2007 8:26 PM by rowlandsbb Star rating in Gloucestershire &Hue.... 779 posts Send private message

rowlandsbb´s avatar

Pedro

Look at Almeria between Aguilas & Mojacar

Something for everyone who likes real Spain

Inland or close to beach

How about 6 large sardines and a bottle of Rioja at a beach front restaurant on the prom at San Juan de los Terreros for 10 €!!

Everything is cheaper than CDS 

Like 0      
04 Aug 2007 1:00 PM by fern Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

I live near Mijas - its a lovely place with one of the best beaches at La Cala - in my opinion. There 's plenty to do, but it is expensive to buy in. It's a good time to buy though, prices are down a bit. Plenty of golf courses around, lots of expats too, depends what you want.

Most of the children I know who go to private Brit school for my area, go to St.Anthony's, we are at Alhaurin de la torre about 20 mins inland and about 15 mins drive from Mijas.

Like 0      
06 Aug 2007 11:01 AM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Many people think the CDS is soooo expensive, but  know places on the seafront ie Fuengirola where you can get a 3 course chinese (without being ill) for 4.95 euros. Including a drink. And in Marbella, on the paseo,  3 course menu del dia for 8 euros each.

If you go to the expensive places then yes you will pay more, but go to the more spanish ones and you wont.

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
06 Aug 2007 12:41 PM by fern Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

...and breakfast for 5.00 euros . We buy beer in bars at 1.20, it's a bit more expensive on the coast, but as Rixxy says, it depends where you go. If you want to people watch at Puerto Banus, expect to pay double that. I meant house purchase was expensive but improving and costa living isn't so bad. There are some super places down back alleys ,off  the holidaymaker track, where you can still get the odd tapas free , even on CDS - we have one in town. The locals won't pay holidaymaker prices, which vary according to season, as far as I can see. We go where they go... when in Rome and all that ?

Like 0      
06 Aug 2007 9:14 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

"..... you can get a 3 course Chinese (without being ill) for 4.95 euros. Including a drink. "

"....If you go to the expensive places then yes you will pay more, but go to the more Spanish ones and you wont."

You are funny, Rixxy!

Incidentally, how many Spaniards do you see eating in the Chinese restaurants here?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
07 Aug 2007 12:37 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Weeeel I was trying to be politically correct! And actually loads a spanish eat in the chines restaurants - they are very discerning - when the brits arent around that is!

I was avin a blonde day Roberto - you know how it is....................

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
07 Aug 2007 1:35 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

07 Aug 2007 1:47 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
That depends on the day!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

spiderbish - 2 posts
Anyone involved with Hacienda Guadalupe ? - 7 posts
la hague apostille - 16 posts
Performance Car Clubs / Driving Days ? - 0 posts
Organic Food - 0 posts
Filling out application forms - 9 posts
Support for our injured troops - 4 posts
Bucket help. - 66 posts
WIFI - 1 posts
where to buy good quality furniture - 7 posts
Valle del Sol, Carcer - 3 posts
Jaen's restaurant, Guardamar town centre, CB - 33 posts
cleaning - 0 posts
La Recoleta, EGM - 2 posts
Long term rental Northern Costa Blanca? - 0 posts
Site visit today 18th January - 13 posts
Cash prize on new price comparison site - 6 posts
I've a very happy hubby tonight. - 3 posts
REBNY or MLS - 2 posts
Pocket Pages for the CB - 18 posts
New meat for the grinder! - 20 posts
Playa Flamenca - 16 posts
DANCING HORSES RETURN TO LA MARINA, CB, ON 5th AUGUST - 0 posts
Timeshare - 23 posts
Dogs Hunt In Packs For Protection! - 39 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 31

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x