financial eligibilty for residencia

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Apr 2013 9:01 PM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 195 posts Send private message

Hi My wife and I have an appointment at our local "nick" to apply for residencia. To qualify for the minimum income level I shall need to transfer another one of my pensions over here. I have an S1 but my wife is not of retirement age. Should I arrange for another pension to be paid directly to our spanish bank account by the annuity company I will incur charges. However if payments are made to our spanish bank from our uk bank via a currency exchange company the exchange rate affords us more Euros for our GBP. Would anyone know whether the spanish authorities insist on seeing a "pension" payment on bank accounts or just a monthly lump sum credit.

Like 0      
09 Apr 2013 10:41 AM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

I would have thought that a statement of entitlement to the pension (from the paying authority) would provide the necessary proof of income. Of course there is always the chance that the official who deals with your case may think he/she has the right to demand more. I would try it as it stands.

Like 0      
10 Apr 2013 6:57 PM by Febe Star rating in Flix, on river Ebro,.... 240 posts Send private message

Hi Nicbax,

Having just done this for myself, huband and 13 year old child, we only had to show 6 months of spanish bank statements showing our monthly transfer. They were not bothered where it came from (neither of us has a pension) only that we had money comming in every month. No minimum amount was mentioned. Our one transfer per month was fine to cover all three applications. We needed two copies of the statements, one for my application and one for my husbands. Not needed for our son.

BTW. What is the minimum?

We also needed copies of NIE, passport and our health cards (or proof of health care) I think that was all we needed. Of course a certified note of your inside leg measurement, from a well known tailor on Threadneedle Street never goes amiss!

Hope this helps.

Regards, Febe

No matter where you go, there you are.

Like 0      
10 Apr 2013 8:14 PM by zib Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Febe - I think the minumum amount varies from region to region.  

Can I ask - if you had to have 6 months bank statements in a Spanish bank they must be expecting you to open an account 3 months before moving to Spain (given that you have to apply for a residency cert. after 90 days) - is this correct or am I missing something?

Like 0      
10 Apr 2013 8:31 PM by juansheetisplenty Star rating in Cartagena. 283 posts Send private message

juansheetisplenty´s avatar

You do not have to have residency to open a Spanish bank account, just an NIE. You then certify as non-resident.

Juan

Like 0      
10 Apr 2013 8:37 PM by zib Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

I know you CAN open a non-resident account - I'm just thinking of the practicalities of having your income paid into a Spanish account for 3 months while you are still living in the UK and (presumably) still have to pay bills etc. there.

Like 0      
10 Apr 2013 8:45 PM by juansheetisplenty Star rating in Cartagena. 283 posts Send private message

juansheetisplenty´s avatar

I am thinking out loud here, but I think the scenarios are different. We make regular monthly payment from the UK to pay bills to a non-resident account. I believe the requirement for financial means is a cash deposit of equivalent of 6000 Euros or proof of income. I assume that is you can show a non-resident account with regular payments inward, I suspect this will suffice. If one does not have a Spanish account already, one should show either proof of income (via Tax return whatever) or a deposit somewhere.

Juan

This message was last edited by juansheetisplenty on 10/04/2013.

Like 0      
11 Apr 2013 7:46 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

This may help

DOCUMENTACIÓN ACREDITATIVA PARA CERTIFICADO DE REGISTRO

1. Copia de pasaporte o documento nacional de identidad, válido y en vigor, del solicitante o copia de los mismos caducados y de la solicitud de renovación. 2. Tasa pagada (10.30 euros)

3. Los documentos que a continuación se detallan según los casos:

TRABAJADOR CUENTA AJENA.- Uno de los siguientes documentos: - Declaración de contratación del empleador
 Incluyendo nombre de la empresa, C.I.F. de la empresa, Código Cuenta Cotización en la SS de la empresa.
- Certificado de empleo
 - Contrato de trabajo registrado en el S.P. Empleo - Alta en la SS
 O bien consentimiento para la comprobación de datos en los ficheros de la Tesorería General de la Seguridad Social.

TRABAJADOR CUENTA PROPIA.- Uno de los siguientes documentos:
 - Inscripción en el censo de actividades económicas.
- Inscripción del establecimiento mercantil en el Registro Mercantil. - Alta en la SS
 O bien consentimiento para la comprobación de datos en los ficheros de la Tesorería General de la Seguridad Social.

NO TRABAJA.- Todos los documentos siguientes:
 - Seguro de enfermedad con cobertura durante su período de residencia equivalente a la proporcionada por el Sistema Nacional de Salud (pensionistas será suficiente con documento que acredite que tienen derecho a asistencia con cargo al Estado que le paga la pensión).
- Prueba de recursos suficientes (mínimo 5.007,81 euros)

ESTUDIANTES.

­Posibilidad 1:·         Matrícula
·         Seguro de enfermedad o tarjeta sanitaria europea válida durante todo el período de residencia.
·         Declaración de que posee recursos suficientes.

Posibilidad 2:      Acreditación de ser participante en UE de intercambio educativo

ENGLISH TRANSLATION  (by Bing)

SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION FOR CERTIFICATE OF REGISTRATION

1. Copy of passport or national identity card, valid and in force, of the applicant or copy of the same expired and the application for renewal. 2 Rate paid (10.30 euros) xx
3. The documents listed below as appropriate:

WORKER  employed

-one of the following documents:-20th employer recruitment statement
 Including company name, CIF of the company code account trading on the SS of the company.
-Certificate of employment
-Contract work registered in the employment S.P. - high in the SS
Either consent to the verification of data in the files of the General Treasury of the Social Security.

WORKER, self employed .- 

one of the following documents:
-Registration on the Census of economic activities.
-Registration of the mercantile establishment in the mercantile registry. -High in the SS

Either consent to the verification of data in the files of the General Treasury of the Social Security.

NOT working.              -all of the following documents:

-Health coverage during their period of residence equivalent to that provided by the national system of health insurance
(pensioners will be accepted with documentation that certifies they are entitled to medical assistance, paid by the State which pays the pension).

-Proof of sufficient resources (minimum 5.007,81 EUR)

ESTUDIANTES.

Method 1:
 • Registration
• Insurance of sickness or European health insurance card valid throughout the period of residence.
Declaration that he has sufficient financial resources.

Method 2:
Accreditation to be member in EU educational exchange

Like 0      
11 Apr 2013 10:33 AM by 66d35 Star rating. 243 posts Send private message

Should be noted that the 'income' requirement is not actually about 'income'. The legally specified requirement is 'sufficient resources'. This has been ruled to include:

1) Savings
2) Property assets
3) Any other assets (stocks, shares, etc.)
4) Money/resources held by third parties that you "have access to"
Overdraft/credit cards/loans available

Here is the boletin that lists the "resources" requirements for the issue of certificates for EU citizens.

http://www.boe.es/diario_boe/txt.php?id=BOE-A-2012-9218

This contains useful and interesting information, which (for a change, actually does agree with the EU rules on this subject). Rough translation of a couple of relevant bits:

c) Persons not engaged in work in Spain must provide documentation of compliance with the following two conditions:

1. ª Medicare, public or private, contracted in Spain or another country, provided that provides coverage in Spain during their period of residence equivalent to that provided by the NHS.

Pensioners meet this condition if credited by the relevant certification that they are entitled to healthcare under the State for which they receive their pension.

On resources (this also agrees with what I said earlier on the matter). It is not just a question of 'income' but NET RESOURCES.

2. Second provision of sufficient resources for themselves and their family members, to avoid becoming a burden on the welfare of Spain during their period of residence.

Accreditation of possession of sufficient resources, either by regular income, including income from work or otherwise, or ownership of an estate, shall be by any mode of proof recognized in law, such as title deeds, certified checks , obtaining supporting documentation for capital income or credit cards, bringing in the latter case an updated bank certificate certifying the amount available as of that credit card.

Which means you are even OK if you have a Platinum Amex with enough 'headroom'! More seriously, ownership of a property also qualifies you as do bank deposits.

European Parliament and Council Communication clarifying rules:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:52009DC0313:EN:NOT

2.3. Residence of EU citizens for more than three months

EU citizens have a right of residence in the host Member State if they are economically active there. Students and economically inactive EU citizens must have sufficient resources for themselves and their family members not to become a burden on the social assistance system of the host Member State during their period of residence and have comprehensive sickness insurance cover.

The list of documents to be presented with the application for residence is exhaustive. No additional documents can be requested.

2.3.1. Sufficient resources

The notion of ‘sufficient resources’ must be interpreted in the light of the objective of the Directive, which is to facilitate free movement, as long as the beneficiaries of the right of residence do not become an unreasonable burden on the social assistance system of the host Member State.

The first step to assess the existence of sufficient resources should be whether the EU citizen (and family members who derive their right of residence from him or her) would meet the national criteria to be granted the basic social assistance benefit .

EU citizens have sufficient resources where the level of their resources is higher than the threshold under which a minimum subsistence benefit is granted in the host Member State. Where this criterion is not applicable, the minimum social security pension should be taken into account.

Article 8(4) prohibits Member States from laying down a fixed amount to be regarded as "sufficient resources" , either directly or indirectly, below which the right of residence can be automatically refused. The authorities of the Member States must take into account the personal situation of the individual concerned. Resources from a third person must be accepted[26].

National authorities can, when necessary, undertake checks as to the existence of the resources, their lawfulness, amount and availability. The resources do not have to be periodic and can be in the form of accumulated capital. The evidence of sufficient resources cannot be limited[27]. (*)

In assessing whether an individual whose resources can no longer be regarded as sufficient and who was granted the minimum subsistence benefit is or has become an unreasonable burden , the authorities of the Member States must carry out a proportionality test. To this end, Member States may develop for example a points-based scheme as an indicator. Recital 16 of Directive 2004/38 provides three sets of criteria for this purpose:

(1) duration

- For how long is the benefit being granted?

- Outlook: is it likely that the EU citizen will get out of the safety net soon?

- How long has the residence lasted in the host Member State?

(2) personal situation

- What is the level of connection of the EU citizen and his/her family members with the society of the host Member State?

- Are there any considerations pertaining to age, state of health, family and economic situation that need to be taken into account?

(3) amount

- Total amount of aid granted?

- Does the EU citizen have a history of relying heavily on social assistance?

- Does the EU citizen have a history of contributing to the financing of social assistance in the host Member State?

As long as the beneficiaries of the right of residence do not become an unreasonable burden on the social assistance system of the host Member State, they cannot be expelled for this reason[28].

Only receipt of social assistance benefits can be considered relevant to determining whether the person concerned is a burden on the social assistance system.

(*)  Case C-424/98 Commission v Italy (para 37) - In essence, savings, investments etc.  have to be taken into account.

Like 0      
11 Apr 2013 9:02 PM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 195 posts Send private message

Hi Febe,

Thank you for replying to my PM so quickly. However whilst this site is telling me you have replied I can`t pull it up to read.

May I please impose upon you to post it upon this forum. thanks nic.

Like 0      
12 Apr 2013 4:30 PM by Febe Star rating in Flix, on river Ebro,.... 240 posts Send private message

Edit this post

Hi Nic,

This is a copy of my post. Others have posted too. Their posts are probably more help full than mine. I hope you can see this one!

Hi Nicbax,

Having just done this for myself, huband and 13 year old child, we only had to show 6 months of spanish bank statements showing our monthly transfer. They were not bothered where it came from (neither of us has a pension) only that we had money comming in every month. No minimum amount was mentioned. Our one transfer per month was fine to cover all three applications. We needed two copies of the statements, one for my application and one for my husbands. Not needed for our son.

BTW. What is the minimum?

We also needed copies of NIE, passport and our health cards (or proof of health care) I think that was all we needed. Of course a certified note of your inside leg measurement, from a well known tailor on Threadneedle Street never goes amiss!

Hope this helps.

Regards, Febe

Like 0      
12 Apr 2013 5:03 PM by Febe Star rating in Flix, on river Ebro,.... 240 posts Send private message

Hi Zib,

I´m not sure about that at all. We´ve lived here now for over 6 years, with a child in school. So it´s not as if we´ve been hiding. We´ve never been asked for Residencia. Just thought it was about time we got on with it. Plus our son needed his NIE for school. We did the 3 Residencias and 1 NIE on the same day.

Our bank account has been a resident account since we moved here. We had a non-res account for about 3 years befor that.

As has been said and is true, things differ depending where you are.

Regards, Febe.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Car Hire? - 2 posts
The Iron Lady - Did you love her or hate her? - 157 posts
TAX - 8 posts
Corvera, the smart new kid on the block in Spain's empty airports club - 3 posts
can any one help me - 7 posts
bed sizes - 2 posts
Building a horse stable/shelter - 1 posts
INSURANCE EXCLUSIONS - ACTS OF GOD AND THE CONSORCIO - 21 posts
bank lending to communities - 1 posts
Hi I'm new here. - 8 posts
New Government plan to boost jobs & property market - 1 posts
Bringing UK hard-disk recorder - 2 questions - 7 posts
walking dogs - 17 posts
rental agreement need advice??? - 4 posts
Habitation certificate - 106 posts
About to get my account suspended so i will just leave - 1 posts
Having spanish empolyees based spain for a UK comapny - 3 posts
Alebs - 2 posts
CAM paying Eurohouse clients without a Bank Guarantee - 2 posts
Aifos showing Bank accounts - 28 posts
Rural Property Taxes - 0 posts
Sky UK to add subtitles to FTA channels - Sky News, Pick TV & Challenge. - 0 posts
Isobel - 2 posts
What social class are you? - 18 posts
New Double Taxation Agreement between Spain and UK - 65 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x