Closed terrace of an apartment

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Mar 2013 12:25 PM by Chloeinspain Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

I bought a top floor apartment knowing that 40 years ago the previous owner closed the terrace (you wouldn´t ever know that there was a terrace in the past) - now it is just a large living room. Upon visiting the planning dept recently the technical architect told me that it is not legal to close terraces and that they have no license request on file for this work that was undertaken 40 years ago. I then checked the desciption of the property in the nota simple and realize that while the sq m correspond to what we measured, the nota simple refers to a "terrace" and we don´t have one!!!!!!

My question: as this was done over 40 years ago (when I imagine that the planning laws were different), I am wondering if we could be asked some day to remove half of our living room and make it back into a terrace?

Chloe

Like 0      
14 Mar 2013 1:55 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Look at any apartment block.  All the closed in terraces are almost certainly illegal. 

This message was last edited by johnzx on 14/03/2013.

Like 0      
14 Mar 2013 2:14 PM by lobin Star rating. 256 posts Send private message

As Johnx says many many terraces that have been incorporated to flats are illegal, the main reason being almost invariably  that when the flats were built, the maximum constructions percentages allowed were used and for these purposes terraces and other open spaces count for 50% of the square meters towards those maximum percentages,  Enclosing the surface of the terrace would count for 100% thus exceeding the maximum percentages.

Very few Townhalls  go around checking for this and will initiate action to remove the new construction and bring the flat back to its original state and in medium to large cities this just does not happen.  The other way to initiate action is to have a neighbour or the community denouncing the ilegal constructions.  Obviously, in your case, this has not happened and it is very possible that the statute of limitations will prevent anyone (including the Townhall) from taking action since, in general, the statute of limitations runs out in 15 years.  

You should probably keep any documents, receipts, photographs, etc. that prove that the enclosure was made 40 years ago together with your Escritura and not worry too much about it specially if others in your building or compound have done the same and the community has not objected.

Like 0      
14 Mar 2013 3:08 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

I bought a top floor apartment knowing that 40 years ago the previous owner closed the terrace (you wouldn´t ever know that there was a terrace in the past) - now it is just a large living room. Upon visiting the planning dept recently the technical architect told me that it is not legal to close terraces and that they have no license request on file for this work that was undertaken 40 years ago. I then checked the desciption of the property in the nota simple and realize that while the sq m correspond to what we measured, the nota simple refers to a "terrace" and we don´t have one!!!!!!

My question: as this was done over 40 years ago (when I imagine that the planning laws were different), I am wondering if we could be asked some day to remove half of our living room and make it back into a terrace?

Chloe

I bought a house with a closed in section made into another room, it should not have been, also had a more then big enough garage made in the garden, when we were all in the notary's office their was a lot of arguing going on which was related to the garage and closed in section, my solicitor then asked me if i knew about this, stupid question but their, none of this was on the deeds, i was told that if no one complained about this in 6 years then everything would be fine and is okay, this work had been done at least 6 years before i bought this house.

I owned this house for about 9 years plus, and never a word said, when i applied for the habitation certificate of course none of this was on the deeds, to get said certificate i had to have an architect around to check everything was in order, all he said was do you want this on the deeds? no, and so it wasn't.

I do not know if that's the truth about the 6 years, i never asked anyone. The house sold no problems.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

View on Bullfighting, should it be banned? - 13 posts
Property purchase tax - 0 posts
Resident to buy a new car - 3 posts
Considering buying new car - 12 posts
Murder mystery nights in Torrevieja and All Inclusive Cruises from Valencia/? - 3 posts
SKY TV - 14 posts
FilmOn stops transmitting UK terrestrial channels overseas: - 26 posts
Security - 2 posts
cotaluz lawyers - 0 posts
New! Law 57/68 and Huma-Banco Popular. Case won by CostaLuz - 3 posts
Paying IBI a year late - 12 posts
Pets - 0 posts
Energy Performance Certificates come to Spain - 327 posts
Energy Performance Certificates come to Spain - 7 posts
Protest in Malaga Airport - 3 posts
Justice for Chris Huhne and his ex wife - 18 posts
Watching Formula 1 - 2013 in Spain - 0 posts
boat hire san javier - 0 posts
health care in Spain - 0 posts
Palmera Properties and Mirador - 2 posts
Outside terrace - 8 posts
NORMANSANDS - 11 posts
Bromley to Almoradi - 0 posts
linux or windows in state schools in andalucia - 12 posts
linux or windows in state schools in andalucia - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x