SKY TV

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Mar 2013 11:40 AM by Cioffi1 Star rating in London & Calahonda . 216 posts Send private message

Cioffi1´s avatar
I have recently received a couple of emails from my Internet provider in Spain talking about the loss of SKY and the alternative that they are offering (and the related cost)
As we haven't been to our apartment since July last year, can anyone throw any light on the situation?
Currently we only have freeview as it doesn't seem worth paying for a SKY package as we only come over 4-6 times per year but I'd hate to arrive and not be able to watch the news!

Like 0      
13 Mar 2013 2:11 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

No problems with freesat!

Like 0      
13 Mar 2013 3:33 PM by Cioffi1 Star rating in London & Calahonda . 216 posts Send private message

Cioffi1´s avatar
Thank you - question answered

Like 0      
14 Mar 2013 2:39 AM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

still got it down on the costa del sol

there is some talk we will lose it which is whipping all the alternative providers into a frenzy selling

worry about it when and if it goes becuase you may find you spend a ton of cash for no reason

i coldnt stay away from you miserable whining whingers for some reason

Like 0      
21 Mar 2013 7:07 AM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

In Dec, a few ITV1 and the Fives moved to the "UK beam" on the first of three new UK TV satellites. In some areas of Spain, reception worsened on existing dishes. In other areas reception did not change.

It is expected that in August 2013, BBC ITV C4s will move to the "UK beam" on the second new UK TV satellite. Until the satellite is launched, tested, positioned, and transmitting no-one knows what reception will be like in Spain. The move may mean you will need to go for a larger dish to receive these channels, or your current dish may suffice - no-one knows.

BY larger dish this may mean, 1.8m, 2.4m or 3.1m or larger (they have used 4m dishes in Greece and Cyprus for the last 10 years). However, if these very large dishes are simply not wanted by clients, then an alternative solution will need to be found - eg internet streaming? However, not ALL channels will be lost - as some channels, like the majority of the Sky pay channels, and some of the less popular channel, will probably move to the "European beam" on the new satellite - which should easily be available on existing dishes.

These moves will affect channels received on Sky, Freesat and other satellite receivers.

UK Freeview is not available in Spain, as it is transmitted from land based masts in the UK. If you use a Freeview box in SPain, connected to a tv aerial in Spain, it will only receive the Spanish digital channels.

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
21 Mar 2013 10:21 AM by westport Star rating in London & Co.Mayo Ire.... 509 posts Send private message

Thanks for the update Satandpcguy.

I have a place in Malaga. When there in February I had no channel 5 or the other 5's channels. My brother was there the week after me, and he told me I have now lost BBC1, ITV1 and Ch 4 as well. Have you heard of anyone else in the Malaga area losing the other main channels. He said the only one working was BBC2. Could it be they were just testing the new satellite or moved them to another frequency.

Thanks

Like 0      
21 Mar 2013 6:49 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

On the 4th December, the only channels  to move were:

Five, Five USA, Five* (and timeshifts), 4seven, c4hd, and some ITV1 and ITV1 regions.

No BBC1 or BBC2 regions were moved, and neither were the majority of ITV1 regions

And if you can get BBC2 then you will still be able to get some of the BBC1 regions also...

So your loss of these channels will be an issue with your own system - such as dish alignment...

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
21 Mar 2013 6:59 PM by westport Star rating in London & Co.Mayo Ire.... 509 posts Send private message

Thanks for that.

Like 0      
21 Mar 2013 8:21 PM by davmunster Star rating in Carvajal\Belfast. 843 posts Send private message

davmunster´s avatar

There have been a number of frequency changes over the past year. Sky boxes retune automatically but a lot of the other boxes don't. It is worthwhile seeing if you can find the channels you have lost by retuning before calling someone out to check the dish

David

Like 0      
21 Mar 2013 10:12 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

Many BBC frequencies have not changed for many years. One of the last changes only affected a handful of BBC channels, and that was back in October / November 2012. There have been no changes to BBC frequencies in 2013,and C4 is still on the same frequency it has been for many years,so I doubt that is the cause of the loss of BBC1 and C4.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
21 Mar 2013 10:23 PM by davmunster Star rating in Carvajal\Belfast. 843 posts Send private message

davmunster´s avatar

@ satandpcguy I am not an expert like you so don't know for sure that it was caused by frequency changes but there were some regional BBC 1 channels that people lost and were able to find again by retuning in October & November last year

David

Like 0      
21 Mar 2013 11:05 PM by westport Star rating in London & Co.Mayo Ire.... 509 posts Send private message

How do you go about retuning the channels on a normal sky box.

Thanks.

Like 0      
06 Feb 2014 7:54 AM by K 5ive Star rating in Cambrils. 116 posts Send private message

All BBc channels gone this morning!

Like 0      
06 Feb 2014 8:10 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

All BBC channels gone this morning!

Same in Malaga on my satellite receiver

Fortunately I have cable TV and that still has all the progs.as previoulsy, including all BBC.    I do not know how the supplier is receiving the BBC channels, that they are sending. 

Like 0      
08 Feb 2014 7:26 AM by rickyjames123 Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

No problem Friend....

Big Big Country

Small Small Talking

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

FilmOn stops transmitting UK terrestrial channels overseas: - 26 posts
Security - 2 posts
cotaluz lawyers - 0 posts
New! Law 57/68 and Huma-Banco Popular. Case won by CostaLuz - 3 posts
Paying IBI a year late - 12 posts
Pets - 0 posts
Energy Performance Certificates come to Spain - 327 posts
Energy Performance Certificates come to Spain - 7 posts
Protest in Malaga Airport - 3 posts
Justice for Chris Huhne and his ex wife - 18 posts
Watching Formula 1 - 2013 in Spain - 0 posts
boat hire san javier - 0 posts
health care in Spain - 0 posts
Palmera Properties and Mirador - 2 posts
Outside terrace - 8 posts
NORMANSANDS - 11 posts
Bromley to Almoradi - 0 posts
linux or windows in state schools in andalucia - 12 posts
linux or windows in state schools in andalucia - 0 posts
Tax Defaulters Register. - 0 posts
Judge Sentencing - 1 posts
Kayak course - 0 posts
SPAIN CRIME WORSENS AND IS LOSING MONEY AND RESPECT. - 27 posts
Summer is almost here - 2 posts
Long term rental/housesitting/caretaking. - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 15

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x