Justice for Chris Huhne and his ex wife

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Mar 2013 5:18 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

For all those sceptics who said that Chris Huhne and his ex wife, Vicky Pryce,  would not be charged, then would not get convicted,  and finally, they would get ‘only a slap on the wrist’  they have just been sentenced,  Him to  8 months imprisonment;     Her to  8 months too.

So you sceptical guys,  stop shouting that there is no justice in UK, there is,  and it’s alive and well.

Like 0      
11 Mar 2013 5:31 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

For all those sceptics who said that Chris Huhne and his ex wife, Vicky Pryce, would not be charged, then would not get convicted, and finally, they would get ‘only a slap on the wrist’ they have just been sentenced, Him to 8 months imprisonment; Her to 8 months too.

So you sceptical guys, stop shouting that there is no justice in UK, there is, and it’s alive and well.

Do you mean me!...yes of course you do John.....Well that's a nice end to a Monday now that Chris and Vicky will get their end looked up in the pokey.

So pleased to be wrong.

Like 0      
11 Mar 2013 6:26 PM by andyintorre Star rating in Costa Blanca. 104 posts Send private message

Pity they didn't get 2 years each.

Like 0      
11 Mar 2013 7:32 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Andy,  

Pity they didn't get 2 years each.

If they caught the other estimated half a million, who have done the same, where would they accommodate them all for two years ?

As no one was personally affected, unlike in most crimes, it seems a waste of public money to lock them up at all. 

Like 0      
11 Mar 2013 8:08 PM by andyintorre Star rating in Costa Blanca. 104 posts Send private message

I think they should be made an example of, it would be interesting to compare this sentence with that handed down to other people convicted of the same offence. This case is a prime example of a man who believed he was above the law and a wife so bent on revenge she thought she would be seen as the poor woman jilted. Whilst I agree the offence of speeding is not exactly a major crime, the whole point of this case is about people trying to pervert justice for their own ends. Through away the keys I say! 

Like 0      
11 Mar 2013 8:13 PM by andyintorre Star rating in Costa Blanca. 104 posts Send private message

As to where I would accommodate the rest of the people who have allegedly done the same, I would build more prisons.....

Like 0      
11 Mar 2013 9:18 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Andy I was talking about Perverting the Course of Justice, not the speeding offence. On balance the speed offence is more serious as an accident could have caused injury to others. Perverting the course of justice is against the State, no one actually suffers..

Most people convicted, as Huhne and Pryce were, do not loose their jobs, reputation etc.,  the real cost of that is possible very high. Much higher than Joe Public would suffer.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 11/03/2013.

Like 0      
11 Mar 2013 9:46 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Lets not forget that Chris Huhne had been telling one and all for ten years that he was innocent of all the allegations against him over this driving offence, for the past ten years he had tried everything in his power, and this man carried some power,  to get this thrown out of the justice system, everything he tried failed, at the last moment he then had to admit the offence hoping that he would be treated lightly because he pleated guilty.

Had he admitted the offence he would have lost his licence for perhaps one year maybe two...maybe not lost it at all, so you see this is more then just a speeding offence it's the "You cant touch me" thinking of the so called elite of this country.....Shame the queer con inside wont see him that way.

Like 0      
12 Mar 2013 9:11 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Baz
                     Had he admitted the offence he would have lost his licence for perhaps one year maybe two...maybe not lost it at all, so you see this is more then just a speeding offence it's the "You cant touch me" thinking of the so called elite of this country.....

At the time Huhne was caught speeding, he was a prospective candidate for the Social Democrats, at that time an insignificant party.
More or less just an ‘ordinary citizen’ just like the other estimated half a million who have got others to take their points.

Just like millions of people who get caught for all kinds of law breaking Huhne claimed he was innocent. Everyone who pleads not guilty but get convicted is a liar (as too are many who get off, with perverse juries, as happened in Pyrce’s first trial) but we tend to overlook that unless we are jealous of their position or wealth.

I still believe that the cost  about £112 each, per day to lock up these two is waste of my taxes. Community service or a financial penalty would have been more appropriate. But of course the real reason for their imprisonment is to deter all those dishonest liars who have and will continue to take points for others.

The really odd thing about many of us is that a well-known or wealthy person get caught, even for something very pettty, and people crying for their blood, yet someone like Ronnie Biggs gets treated as a hero !!!

Like 0      
12 Mar 2013 9:59 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

John.

Yes agreed on some of your points, but this man knew where he was going to go with his career many years ago, he dreamed of being Deputy PM one way or the other some day, so any criminal conviction would bust his chance of that, and of course he might have been on the eleven points scale of his licence.

I don't think to many people are jealous of his power or wealth, but for sure the everyday person in England has had it up to their necks on how the these people get away with us paying out for a new sink plug, or mortgage's on houses they forgot were paid up years ago, so on and so on, with the "I did nothing wrong" attitude, while as you know for the massive amounts stolen and known discrepancies very few have actually gone to jail. 

It's just come to light one member of parliament who recently died was giving £5.00 a week to an overseas charity...not a massive amount we know...but he then claimed it back in ex's. So did he think, let the government pay.

He wont serve the full 8 months now will he? 4 of for good behavior, 2 of because he's no threat to society, a week or two of because of the good ole boys club, fit him with a tag, which if he's smart the dog wears while he goes out, chances are 4/6 weeks tops.

I am fully prepared to admit i was wrong again to you though.

Like 0      
12 Mar 2013 1:10 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

Mother took points for her son last year & was sentenced to 2 years , so compared to that this is unduly lenient. I agree about the cost of locking them up . It should be reduced to 50 /per year. Chain gangs, double up in cells sothose working days sleep at night & vice versa. No tv , phones, calls, heating, no visits etc etc. All human rights above the absolute basic lost on conviction.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
12 Mar 2013 1:11 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

I feel a bit sorry for the guy, for me, it's a case of "there but for fortune"...

He made 2 silly mistakes - not admitting his guilt a lot earlier and not having a word with the lovely Vicky at the outset and telling her that she was shooting herself in the foot.  Mind you the way she seem behaved seems to be a classic case of "hell hath no fury...", so perhaps in reality it was just the one error of judgment.

I know everyone likes to hate politicians, but a lot of them have done a whole lot worse than swap their speeding points - and got completely away with it .

Like 0      
12 Mar 2013 1:40 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Gus I Googled  your post but could not find anything related to the case you quoted.

This one seems similar:    A Peverting the Course of Justice case re penalty points   "Mum, aged 79, was to pay a £500 fine, while I was fined £1,000. I got a six-month driving ban and was given 125 hours’ community service. "

From that it seems it included the origin offence,  as she was banned from driving, so they got a much lighter sentence than the Huhne’s !

But of course different courts impose different sentences,  and newspaper reports seldom contain all the facts, so one cannot see why the penalties might be different.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 12/03/2013.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 12/03/2013.

Like 0      
12 Mar 2013 3:47 PM by patman Star rating in Chester and Los Alca.... 84 posts Send private message

patman´s avatar

Judges take a very dim view re, perverting the course of justice as they do with fraud regardless of the actual "offence". I think they got off lightly.

Like 0      
12 Mar 2013 3:51 PM by clarice Star rating. 35 posts Send private message

Personally I think his bitter wife should have got the longer sentence . She perpretrated the crime of fraud he is just a liar ( he is a politician so liar goes with the territory .)

To try and prove marital coersion  when your such a hard faced woman was virtually impossible ! Bitter and twisted to drag her kids through that . Holloway better watch out theres a new mama on the wing.  !!!!!

Like 0      
12 Mar 2013 4:18 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

The `problem’ with considering Perverting the Course of Justice is that it cover such a wide potential. Every one who wilfully attempts in any manner to obstruct, pervert or defeat the course of justice in a judicial proceeding. So lying to a police officer for the most trivial of offences to  doing almost anything to get someone convicted, acquitted or not proceeded against, for the most serious of offences.   

It is a Common Law offence and carries up to life imprisonment.

I too think Pryce should have got a higher sentence as she lied all the way through and almost got off, because of the perverse first jury. In lying on oath, she also committed perjury, which in itself carries up to 7 years.

Like 0      
13 Mar 2013 10:54 PM by andyintorre Star rating in Costa Blanca. 104 posts Send private message

Nice to see the Attorney General is looking at these sentences to see if they are to lenient with a view to an appeal to the High court to increase them. Ironically its a conservative MP who has complained the sentences are to short. I say David Burrowes for Prime Minister......

Like 0      
14 Mar 2013 2:42 AM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

i didnt realise it was even a bad offence passing over the points to someone else.

jail is a bit much though

maybe a 100 squid fine or something.

i coldnt stay away from you miserable whining whingers for some reason

Like 0      
14 Mar 2013 8:53 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

i didnt realise it was even a bad offence passing over the points to someone else.

jail is a bit much though

maybe a 100 squid fine or something.

It wasn't so much the points issue, bad enough as that is, it was more the fact he lied for ten years to the police and the courts, and tried to get the case thrown out of court on many occasions. perverting the course of justice has always been a very serious crime, if it wasn't next to no crime would be solved, then people would be moaning about that as well.

Their is also another strange twist to this, if you go through a speed camera and are then asked "Was it you driving" you are obliged by law to tell the truth as to who was driving on the day, self incrimination, but if you are a bank robber you can legally say...up to a point in time..."No comment" to all the inquires.

A 100 quid fine and a English tax payer would have paid because he would have claimed it back on his exe's. Sure in a round about way we are paying now, but so is he/they by much more. If he hadn't traded in his wife for a younger model she wouldn't have said anything about this. This points swapping goes on all time, but if you are found out even 20 years later you can be tried for  "Perverting the course of justice" even then.

They both lied to the English justice system and tried to deceive it, which compared to what you read about, on here about Spain, and it seems to almost every other country, our legal system is the best, fairest and safest in the world.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Watching Formula 1 - 2013 in Spain - 0 posts
boat hire san javier - 0 posts
health care in Spain - 0 posts
Palmera Properties and Mirador - 2 posts
Outside terrace - 8 posts
NORMANSANDS - 11 posts
Bromley to Almoradi - 0 posts
linux or windows in state schools in andalucia - 12 posts
linux or windows in state schools in andalucia - 0 posts
Tax Defaulters Register. - 0 posts
Judge Sentencing - 1 posts
Kayak course - 0 posts
SPAIN CRIME WORSENS AND IS LOSING MONEY AND RESPECT. - 27 posts
Summer is almost here - 2 posts
Long term rental/housesitting/caretaking. - 0 posts
satalite dish - 1 posts
health care for pensioner - 16 posts
Traveling - 0 posts
LHD car wanted in Ex for RHD - 0 posts
Electricty Bills gone through the roof..... - 9 posts
Car Wanted Spanish Reg LHD - 8 posts
Transferring money to uk - 2 posts
Selling UK property whilst Spanish resident - 1 posts
Ventalation for pellet burner, kitchen and bathroom - 5 posts
laptop repair - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 19

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x