Inflation hits the medical market!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Feb 2013 2:35 PM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

I was horrified this morning to find that Sinemet Retard 50/200, which is a common treatment for Parkinson's, has risen from €21.10 to €33.70. That is a 60% increase. It is made by Merck Sharp and Dohme SA of Madrid (no doubt under license from USA parent).

I have no idea when the price was last increased, although my wife has been taking it for a long long time.

60% seems one hell of a jump, in these straightened times. Thankfully we only pay the 10%, but no doubt this is but the first increase of many in the medical market.

Like 0      
28 Feb 2013 3:29 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Some years ago I used to buy Indomethacin on private prescription in UK, 500 tablets at a time, about 18 months’ supply.  It was much cheaper than getting a month’s supply on the National Health.

Anyway, the last time I went to Boots Chemist I was given a price which seemed high. I went across the road to Lloyds chemist: it was half Boots' price for exactly the same product.

Moral: Do not imagine that medications (in UK at least) have controlled prices, shop around.  It might be the same in Spain too.

Like 0      
28 Feb 2013 4:04 PM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

John

Our village chemist is a third generation farmacist and is highly trusted. He was himself disturbed at the increase and did his best to maintain previous price by ringing round wholesalers as far afield as Zaragoza. I read what you say and it is indeed useful to shop around, but I don't think it would make much difference in Spain, unless current stock applied elsewhere. The price will go up everywhere! If this is not the case over a period, I will be interested to hear from others with the same medication.

Like 0      
28 Feb 2013 4:29 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Marc,   
                      I was not directly commenting on your experience but pointing out what is correct in the UK.

Also, as you will know,  many medications are supplied by different manufactures and in those cases the price for the same medication does vary considerably.  This does of course apply in Spain too.

I am on now on diclofenac. There are 75 companies producing it under a variety of names and prices.

Sinemet Retard 50/200 (Carbidopa + levodopa) is produced under many brand names too. Maybe some of them are cheaper than those produced by Merck Sharp and Dohme SA of Madrid

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

orcrosa - 0 posts
Satellite channel update: True Entertainment +1 - 1 posts
Before you buy in a community ask to see the community accounts - 7 posts
Listed Buildings( Zona Protegida) - 3 posts
PRICE OF PROPERTY IN MIJAS PUEBLO and AYAMONTE - 2 posts
Deposit contract, watch out! - 0 posts
MAZARRON MINES - 2 posts
moving at the start of 2014 (hopefully) - 26 posts
When is a bank in Spain not a bank and won't take my money - 4 posts
Hola from Algorfa, Costa Blanca - 3 posts
Income tax threshold - 11 posts
CAR HIRE FROM FARO - 0 posts
Living in an Almacen ..... is this legal? - 9 posts
Utilities - 26 posts
Pool Safety - suggestions please - 9 posts
Sun - satellite outages - possible interruption to signal - UK TV Costa Blanca - Calida - 2 posts
Lowest Price Wireless Internet - 0 posts
In the Alpujarra - 0 posts
Summer Car Hire - 0 posts
can anyone help - 1 posts
can anyone help please - 0 posts
can anyone help please - 0 posts
hi can anyone help please - 1 posts
Car tax 2013 - 3 posts
Buying Fish in the Supermarket - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x