Advice on trees required, false pepper, mediterannean pine

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Feb 2013 4:16 PM by amogles Star rating in El Campello (holiday.... 174 posts Send private message

I'm not sure if this is posted in the right category. I couldn't find one specifically on gardens, so I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question.

I would like to plant a false pepper tree (Schinus Molle) which is quite a popular tree in Spanish gardens and parks.

I read on Wikipedia that these come in male and female varieties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schinus_molle

How can I tell the tree's sex when buying a sapling? The folks at the garden centre just stare blankly when i ask.

Also, what are the roots like. I am a bit concerned as we have a (masonry) septic tank so I'd like to know what the minimum distance is with respect to that if I want to avoid the roots invading or damaging the tank.

Also, we are considering a Medieterranean pine tree. I've noticed you see them a lot in parks but rarely in gardens. I was wondering if there is a reason why?

Like 0      
12 Feb 2013 10:56 PM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

I am not an expert on this by any means but it just happens that not so long ago I was being told the answer to this very question as one of my friends has one in his garden. Apparantly you can't tell until it is old enough to flower and bear fruit. The male trees do not bear fruit and the female trees will only bear fruit if they have a male tree close to them to pollenise the flowers.  So I suppose that has made it even more complicated. 

A donde el corazón se inclina, el pie camina.

Like 0      
26 Feb 2013 10:37 PM by DoubleJ Star rating in Las Alpujarras and L.... 143 posts Send private message

DoubleJ´s avatar

amogles

You can only really determine the sex of unisexual trees (like the Pepper Tree) by looking at their blossom. Female tree have flowers which have seeds but no pollen. Male trees have pollen but no seeds. Not the easiest thing to spot, but it can be done.

Both the Pepper Tree and the Med Pine have vigerous root systems and really need to be at least 25 feet away from house foundations, drainage pipes and septictanks...... one of the reasons you may not see them in gardens. The Med Pine in particular has a habit of lifting patio stones etc as the roots can often grow upwards.

JJ

Like 0      
27 Feb 2013 4:30 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Don't forget some house insurance companies might ask how close are any trees?, if you get a foundation problem, or any problem for that matter the insurance company don't like, it might say your not insured because of that tree.

Insurance companies look for any get out clause these days.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

What are your main concerns when looking for property in Spain? - 35 posts
Murcia San Javier Airport, nice but lacks public transport..? - 6 posts
Data Protection Laws - 6 posts
Endesa Billing Problem - 7 posts
Please Vote for Tamara's Blog! - 24 posts
**** New Property Developer - 11 posts
Bikes for sale - 1 posts
Help.. School advise in Manilva - 4 posts
Hello - 1 posts
Car Hire .. how do you get the best deal ? - 0 posts
Self employment in Spain - 2 posts
Best Sausages in Spain ?? . It could be... Camposol Butcher shop ...Sector A - 2 posts
Pool heat, lighitng and covers - views from others who have been down this path gratefully received. - 16 posts
Looking for Window Tinting Service in Marbella - 5 posts
Tiling - 5 posts
Orihuela City - 2 posts
corvera airport - 180 posts
Long term parking at murcia airport - 4 posts
Cartagena: Port & City. The Hidden Gem of Med? - 10 posts
Spanish bread - 4 posts
Websites for Charities - 2 posts
Changing my Driving License - 9 posts
Advice on Spanish property tax - 9 posts
Another case won by my fantastic Spanish lawyers! Thanks to EOS - 11 posts
Confusion When Buying a Bank Repossession - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x