£20 a week car hire - is this for real ?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Jan 2013 12:08 AM by nomadicamel Star rating. 23 posts Send private message

So, I just got an online quote with holidayautos (and another website), for two months car hire, their cheapest economy model and it came to £170. Surely, this can't be right?

Or is car hire really that cheap in Southern Spain? I guess it is the low season too.

Like 0      
23 Jan 2013 8:32 AM by broph Star rating. 147 posts Send private message

Hi, have you hired in Spain previously ? because generally the price quoted online IS NOT the final price you will pay when you collect the car at the rental desk. They usually add extras such as fuel and insurance charges which are just a scam. Do not be surprised if your final charges are TWICE what you are quoted.

Regards Ken

Like 0      
23 Jan 2013 8:41 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

£170 for 2 months does seem cheap.  I did get €50 a week once in the off season but that seems remarkable.

Oh, and why do people go on about "in Spain" it''s a scam as they'll charge for extra insurance, petrol or even 500 euros on your credit card.  It's the same in every country including UK.  Even taking out the extra insurance with Enterprise (which was about double what the Spanish companies charge) they still took 400 quid off the credit card and pushed the hard sell bit for the full tank of petrol and bring it back empty.  I took the half/half option but still lost out by being over half when I took it back.  In fact, the weeks car hire I had in UK was more than twice what I was quoted.

Like 0      
23 Jan 2013 9:53 AM by nomadicamel Star rating. 23 posts Send private message

Thanks, yes the damage waiver insurance does double the price if taken out with the hire company. But I'm buying that seperate online, as it's only £40 annual cover. But yes, everytime I've hired anywherein the world they do stack up the extrs when picking up.

At £170 I guess I cn afford the extras :)

Like 0      
23 Jan 2013 9:57 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Exactly. Even if the "extras" do double the price, £40 a week is still pretty cheap.

Like 0      
23 Jan 2013 1:47 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Nomad

Are you sure about the quote. 

I just tried to get a price with http://www.holidayautos.es for two months from Malaga but it would not show a price. 

For a month from 25th Feb 2013 and it showed the cheapest as  575.98 i.e. 144 p.w. 

I did not go any further looking for 'extras' etc. but with those,  maybe that would come to 170 euros  a week.

CTMini fuel 2 puertas Transmisión manual
Con aire acondicionado

info
precio: 575.98

This message was last edited by johnzx on 23/01/2013.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 23/01/2013.

Like 0      
23 Jan 2013 2:25 PM by nomadicamel Star rating. 23 posts Send private message

I went through holidayautos.com not the spanish version. My hire period was from the start of Feb for two months and I picked the cheapest smallest car which was a Puegeot 107. 

I double checked the price just not and it's still £170! I did another quote with indigo in malaga, and from them it was £400 for two months. However, the do say their quotes are not the cheapest but they give better sevrice. Still very very cheap. 

I guess there's only one way to find out :)

Like 0      
23 Jan 2013 2:44 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Nomadf

On the page I have cvhecked it shows a free phone No.  08000933111   which might be UK.

So that you do not have any unpleasant surprises, why not give them a call and ask what the final price would be with insurance to cover ALL claims, no excess, unlimited mileage etc.  It would seem to me that the £20 p.w. cannot be correct.

Like 0      
23 Jan 2013 3:02 PM by chesneyville Star rating. 83 posts Send private message

Nomadicamel you have to be careful with some annual excess policies as they only cover a maximum 31 days in any one visit.

Regards,
David

Like 0      
23 Jan 2013 3:50 PM by nomadicamel Star rating. 23 posts Send private message

Thanks folks, giving them a call & confirming the final orice is a very good idea. Also thanks for the tip on annual excess cover, I'll check to see how many days it covers in one trip.

Life appears to be full of small print and pitfalls for the unwary :(

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

What can I get for around £30k in a bohemian area? - 1 posts
Changing to interest only mortgage - 22 posts
A Bank or a Circus? - 0 posts
MRI Fraud and Darran MacAnthony - 1 posts
has anyone had experience of 'exporting' DLA and carers allowance to Spain??? - 2 posts
"Payment in kind" - legal rights and obligations - 1 posts
Which budget airlines has the most generous baggage aloowance ? - 15 posts
Ocean View Property Fraud Scandal!! - 0 posts
Where do I find a houseshare in places like Orgiva - 3 posts
The latest corruption scandal to hit Spain. - 75 posts
Breakdown recovery cover in Spain for three months - 1 posts
How do I know if my holiday rental is legit? - 3 posts
Driving to Spain with my car - checklist & advice - 18 posts
Looking for Estate agent suggestion /recomendations please. Rural property - 10 posts
New European Driving License introduced today - 3 posts
STERLING TAKING A POUNDING - 3 posts
Electricity and Water Charges - 0 posts
Thank you - 0 posts
Holiday property rentals next to the golf course of Almerimar, Andalusia, Spain - 0 posts
New Spanish Laws....are they for real, or is it a windup.. - 14 posts
House Sitters - 1 posts
Looking for staff for my boiler room - 2 posts
2500€ cash limit - 1 posts
Almeria - 7 posts
Schools in Mazarron - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x