Spanish Citizenship Application Question

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Jan 2013 10:46 PM by colonialboy Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Hi All,

Just a quick question? I am an Australian citizen, and I am married to a Spanish citizen and my Spanish citizenship application is underway. I have already been for my interview and submitted a few documents.

At the time of the interview, I was a student and the person conducting the interview said that I need to bring in some proof of this. Now, I have since graduated and I am working as a freelancer and mostly earning money without contracts.

I would like to know what I could submit to explain my status. I have submitted certification that my parent's are able to support me financially, but I don't have anything clear.

Thanks for your help.

Like 0      
13 Jan 2013 8:00 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Do you mean you have applied for Spanish nationality  or for residenica ?

I realise that this may seem a strange question, but normally a person needs to be resident in Spain for 10 year in order to apply.

2) Citizenship by virtue of residence:

This way of acquisition of citizenship requires the individual to be legally resident in Spain for a continuous period of ten years immediately prior to the application. There are cases in which the required period of residence is reduced, to wit:

• Five years: to grant Spanish citizenship to individuals who have obtained refugee status;
• Two years: for nationals of Ibero-American countries, Andorra, the Philippines, Equatorial Guinea or Portugal, or individuals of Sephardic origin;
• One year for:
o Those born within the Kingdom of Spain;
o Those who have not duly exercised their right to acquire Spanish citizenship by option;
o Those who have been legally subject to guardianship (under the charge of a guardian), keeping or fostership (the fostership that allows reduction of the term of legal residence required to one year is that in which there is a resolution by the public entity established in each territory in charge of protecting minors and for judicial recognition of fostership) by a Spanish citizen or institution for two consecutive years, even if that situation were to continue at the moment of application;
o Whoever, at the time of the application, has been married to a Spaniard for one year and is not separated de iure or de facto;
o The widow or widower of a Spaniard if, at the death of the spouse he or s is not separated de iure or de facto;
o An individual born outside of Spain with a father or mother or a grandfather or grandmother, originally Spanish.
Moreover, the individual concerned must prove good civic conduct and sufficient degree of integration in Spanish society.
Who may apply
• The actual individual concerned, as long as over 18 years of age, or if emancipated;
• Individuals over the age of fourteen, aided by their legal representative;
• The legal representative of individuals under the age of fourteen;
• Those incapacitated acting alone, or the legal representative of the individual incapacitated, depending on what is set forth in the incapacitation ruling.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 13/01/2013.

Like 0      
13 Jan 2013 12:51 PM by colonialboy Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Hi john, 

Thanks for the reply

Applied for citizenship. And my case would be: 

2) Citizenship by virtue of residence:

I only need one year, because I'm married.

However, i think my question still stands in regards to evidence I am working for myself

Ben

Like 0      
13 Jan 2013 1:14 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Hi Ben

I had not seen that '1 year as a spouse.'

My wife applied after 2 years,  and 3.75 yrs on, we are still waiting for a yes or no.

Incidentally, you obviously know that  most, I believe Australians too, must renounce their previous nationality on being granted Spanish. (I have a couple of friends who renounced their former nationality but 'forgot to tell UK !   They are careful not to carry their two passports when in Spain)

My wife is from a former colony so can have dual nationality.

To your question.

I would have thought you should ask at the court where you submitted the application.

Like 0      
13 Jan 2013 1:25 PM by andyintorre Star rating in Costa Blanca. 104 posts Send private message

Evidence you are working for yourself, I would think your registration as self employed or a tax return would be accepted?

Like 0      
13 Jan 2013 1:57 PM by colonialboy Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Yes, I think that would be the best. But that would mean registering as an autonomo. 

I've had a bit of a read of the requirements to register as an autonomo, and the idea of paying more or less 250 euros + extras is not possible due to my low income!

Like 0      
13 Jan 2013 2:19 PM by andyintorre Star rating in Costa Blanca. 104 posts Send private message

This is why you have a problem, you can not tell the authorities you work for yourself as a freelance and accept monies that you don't declare for tax. Without some form of income you will struggle to get through the system.

Like 0      
14 Jan 2013 2:20 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

It seems there is a new Law for promoting Self Employment and Enterpreneurship coming in....  let´s see.

In the meantime, as you are waiting, submitt incomes to your country system. Is this possible?

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

property to rent - 0 posts
Golf Lessons - Mar Menor Area - 2 posts
Loss of Community Fee discount for breaking community rules - 5 posts
Cheap and Cheerful for 3 months - 1 posts
spanish law - Retrospective planning - 5 posts
savings account without charges - 0 posts
Espana viva - 1 posts
Facts on Bank Debts to Communities - 8 posts
Anyone else lost BBC channels this morning? - 9 posts
Winter Fuel Allowance, back years - 28 posts
BAD BANK DEBT - 2 posts
Apartment Reduced from 112k to 34k in Andalcia - 22 posts
BUG ON THIS SITE - 4 posts
Golf share in Guadalmina for sale - 1 posts
Congratulations to Think Spain Sl and Well done to Justin for the EOS Sale - 9 posts
Another success for Costa Luz Lawyers - 7 posts
Two bikes for sale - 0 posts
Road bike 58 cm wanted - 0 posts
Bank Account Translation - 2 posts
Car hire spain - 2 posts
What Documents Should be Kept In the Car - 15 posts
Reporting of Assets Outside Spain and UK Rental Income. - 355 posts
Car Hire in Murcia area - 7 posts
Justin Aldridge have you left the Building?? - 2 posts
What happens if I do not collect a Burofax??? - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x