Hi there!!!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 Jan 2013 12:38 PM by georgev Star rating in La Vina near Loja. 3 posts Send private message

Hi,

I'm George and my wife is Liz and we retire to Spain in May this year.

I currently work in IT for the Oil and Gas industry but I am taking early retirement at 60. We have had a holiday home near Loja for about seven years, up in the mountains in a small village of about 200 hundred inhabitants and we are the only foreigners in our village, but there are lots of Brits in and around the Campo near us.

My wife is probably the more enthusiastic one for moving to Spain, but I have an open mind about it. Financially I won’t need to work. But I am hoping that there will be need for my skills, so I can mentally have something to do, my biggest worry is getting bored. I think I would be happy to solve people’s computer problems for a bottle of Roja just for the chalenge.

Looked on a lot of sites regarding Spanish Taxation, still not quite sure if I will be worse off being taxed in Spain, it looks as though the Spanish allowance‘s are lower and the tax rate is higher and if I am going to be worse off, how much worse off will I be?

Anyway we have booked the ferry for May and I'm on my rundown now!! So Spain here we come!!

This message was last edited by georgev on 02/01/2013.

This message was last edited by georgev on 02/01/2013.

Like 0      
02 Jan 2013 1:11 PM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

Hi

Welcome to the forum.

As far as tax is concerned you will not have a choice as to country of charge. If you are in  Spain as a resident, which from your post seems likely, then the only world income which could be excluded from the Hacienda's grip on your income will be for any UK pension arising from employment  in the UK Civil Service and similar organisations. You will need to tell HMRC of your departure and they will advise and send the necessary forms. The state pension, when it arises, will not be taxable in UK, but in Spain.

Although the rates of tax etc may seem higher at first, please take note of the option to join together the incomes of both you and your wife and make a joint declaration, if this is advantageous. The first such declaration will be in the late spring of 2014 on the 2013 income.

Like 0      
03 Jan 2013 1:14 PM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

Hi George and Liz

Welcome to EOS, its great to see more people coming over to Spain. I am sure you will find the help you are looking for on the forum

Ian 

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Buying a car - 0 posts
Vueling does anyone have experience of using this airline - 10 posts
Sailing in Costa Blanca area - 0 posts
New noisy bar in comunidad, Costa Blanca - 6 posts
HAPPY NEW YEAR. - 0 posts
Bank Properties? - 12 posts
Ryanair - An open letter that says it all - 24 posts
legal question if someone can help me please - 3 posts
Honda CRV luxury - 4 posts
trigger - 3 posts
Happy 2013 from Costaluzlawyers - 4 posts
A Record to be proud of.. - 1 posts
Non Resident Taxes HELP/ADVICE NEEDED - 13 posts
Prescriptions can anyone help - 2 posts
Wanted 3-6 month Rental Property - 1 posts
Costructing my European identity further - 1 posts
Spanish House exchange - 5 posts
What happened to the ICP? - 8 posts
Help for a non-EU citizen wanting to spend time in Spain - 0 posts
How much reduction is it customary to ask for on asking price - 28 posts
Robin-Hood-Style Politics -Tax the Rich to feed the Poor - 18 posts
Electricity in Spain, does anyone understand it? - 86 posts
Too late for an accomodation in Madrid for New Eve? - 2 posts
this ought to cheer everyone up - 1 posts
Brummie who moved to Oz seeks renewed contact - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x