Never really sure how to start. Hello is always a good bet...

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Dec 2012 12:52 PM by StuLeeUK Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hello,

My name's Stuart and so far I have never been to Spain before. The closest I ever came was the foothills of the Pyrenees (on the French side), shortly before my friend decided to have a motorcycle accident and we all turned and headed for home.

I don't use forums very often, but I am regularly told of the benefits of doing so - so here I am - the thing is I don't want to break any rules so I could actually use a little guidance. I am an owner-driver courier and next year will be looking at making deliveries to and from Spain, but I need to find out the both the bonuses and pitfalls of doing so.

Where should I start, does anyone have any experience, advice etc?

Many thanks

Stu.

Like 0      
22 Dec 2012 1:35 PM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

Hi StuLee and welcome to the best forum for Spain

In my experience there is little chance of working as a freelance owner driver courier in Spain. Most of the carried items within CB and probably CDS tend to be of the human kind to and from airports!

The big boys seem to have the courier market tied up.

Like 0      
22 Dec 2012 5:08 PM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar

Hmm, not sure I agree with MarcBernard :-)  In a Facebook group covering the Axarquia region of Malaga province, there are ALWAYS people asking for "man with van" to move stuff to and from the UK.  They absolutely don't want to go with "the big boys".  My gut feeling (only based on that, and the fact I used a nice "man with van" to bring a quarter vanload out for me in October), would be to pick a particular area, and get into the social media for that area (Facebook, community forums on here etc) and build a reputation for being safe and pleasant so you get the word-of-mouth referrals. 

The difficulty arises as to which country you will be based in.  If you stay UK-based then you can remain as a sole trader or a small company there.  If you are based here in Spain there are horrible charges of over €300 per month for self-employed folks.  Good luck!

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
22 Dec 2012 9:28 PM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

I have to admit that I was refering to true couriers rather than "removal men".

Like 0      
22 Dec 2012 10:41 PM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
Ah yes, I can see the differences :-).

I reckon with the cost of taking suitcases on planes rising and likely to rise further, people can't get as much of their stuff out to Spain as they'd like without the help of man-with-van. I can't see so much work for Stuart couriering between (say) Spanish companies within Spain, because that would move the income to Spain and would trigger the autonomo monthly payment. Mind you so would man-with-van work, if he takes stuff from Spain to the UK, wouldn't it?

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
26 Dec 2012 3:24 PM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

Hi Stu welcome to EOS!:)  I hope you find the help the information you are looking for. EOS is full of extremely experienced people in all areas of expat life and living in Spain. I'm sure you will find it very helpful. For a start I think it would be easier to get more specific help if you let us know where you want to be based, UK or Spain, what size of deliveries/courier work are you referring to: van, trailer etc and if you intend to be independant or attach yourself to a Spanish firm as a self employed driver with vehicle.

Ian

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

BBC 1 HD listed on Astra 2F, UK satellite TV, Spain - 0 posts
Living in a Portacabin? - 5 posts
Where is nearest police station to get an NIE number from Los alcazares? - 8 posts
Christmas Letter from Costaluz - 3 posts
Late payment of non residents tax. - 2 posts
Non Residence tax and changes to value - 11 posts
RUDEAIR - 35 posts
mortgage broker, Costa blanca - 0 posts
New Asset Reporting Law for Spanish Residents - 38 posts
Spain strengthens ties with the jewish community - 4 posts
Who said the property market wasn't moving? - 4 posts
Beneficiary - 4 posts
BBC News in UK - 0 posts
WILL THE WORLD END THIS FRIDAY...... - 15 posts
Nerja, just moved in, anyone from around here? - 2 posts
Visit Andalusian - 5 posts
Corvera confusion - 7 posts
Mobile nightmare - 3 posts
thinking of moving to spain - 8 posts
Electricity on the rise again - 0 posts
How should we feel - 78 posts
Tax info on selling a recently inherited property please - 2 posts
Illustrator Wanted - 0 posts
Looking for an Illustrator - 2 posts
SPAIN NO LONGER AN OPTION - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x