The unknown

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Dec 2012 11:40 PM by xxxkellyxxx Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hi everyone

This is my first ever post.  I live in Aberdeenshire Scotland just now.  My boyfriend works in the oil indisty in Africa.  If he stays in this country longer than 6 months he will be taxed alot of money.

So we are planning on renting in Spain.  We have been on holiday in the Los Boliches area and loved it there, however we did not like Fungurola very much.  Please excuse my spelling.

I really like living in small towns wilth enough shops, not looking for busy city's.  Can anyone please tell me where has been your best experiences?

We plan to rent and travel Spain before we make any drastic desicion on buying in Spain.

Spain to me is not far from home and want to experience a new life and make a new start, so any useful information please share

many thanks

Kelly

Like 0      
10 Dec 2012 6:51 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

In Spain one is tax resident if their normal home is in Spain (centre of activities)  regardless of how long they spend here. I think your boy friend would be tax resident immediately you both set up you main home here.

Like 0      
10 Dec 2012 8:07 AM by andyintorre Star rating in Costa Blanca. 104 posts Send private message

John, don't see the relevance of your reply, or are you representing the Spanish tax authorities today?

Like 0      
10 Dec 2012 8:22 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

From Kelly’s post I understood  she may think living in Spain would avoid :-

QUOTE  If he stays in this country longer than 6 months he will be taxed a lot of money.

If that was her intention,  I thought, informing her of the tax position in Spain, might save her going a long way down a road,  which she might not choose do if she understood the tax situation in Spain (i.e. that the tax situation might be worse in Spain than in UK)

PS Having spent several days trying to do the non-residents tax returns for my son and his wife, i am absolutely   p..... d   off with the Hacianda !!!!

Like 0      
10 Dec 2012 12:08 PM by xxxkellyxxx Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

I don't know what to say.... apart from tax sucks :( haha

Like 0      
10 Dec 2012 12:47 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Tax is the fuel to run to country.  Without it nothing happens.

Like 0      
10 Dec 2012 1:16 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Now i dont pretend to know how it works but......

We sell a good percentage of our property to oil workers,both offshore and landbased workers that work in Africa etc etc...

I have never delved too much into the bones of it but they have all told us that if they say they live in Spain then they pay significantly less tax than if they are domicile in the UK.

I think that is what the original poster was asking??

Like 0      
10 Dec 2012 1:35 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Georgia, 
                           I don’t want to slit hair but the question as posted was  

I really like living in small towns with enough shops, not looking for busy city's.  Can anyone please tell me where has been your best experiences?   

Not tax rates.

That was my interpretation of what might be of significant interest to them

Like 0      
10 Dec 2012 2:45 PM by xxxkellyxxx Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hi everyone thanks for all your responses.

To be honest I am really keen to know which areas are good and rentals etc not fussed about tax really. We will get to that stage when we find a nice area.

Like 0      
10 Dec 2012 4:10 PM by Cove Robert Star rating. 214 posts Send private message

It depends on what you are looking for. I personally prefer it a bit inland, not to far, within striking distance to the sea but far enough to be away from the hustle and bustle of main tourism. We got ourselves a place in Arcos, lively enough but mainly spanish. Not to far to Jerez or Cadiz or for that matter about 1 1/2 hours from Gibraltar, 1 to Seville. Could not recommend it more and there is a lot going on but it is not a step away from the beach. So, that's my plug for the day.

Regards and good luck.

Like 0      
10 Dec 2012 4:39 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

My boyfriend works in the oil indisty in Africa.  If he stays in this country longer than 6 months he will be taxed alot of money.

So we are planning on renting in Spain.

Thats how i read it!!

sorry if i mis understood...

Like 0      
10 Dec 2012 5:01 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Georgia,
                          How could you have possibility missed     “I live in Aberdeenshire Scotland just now” ?   

So ‘this country’ one would think,  refers to Scotland.

Like 0      
10 Dec 2012 5:44 PM by Cove Robert Star rating. 214 posts Send private message

And welcome to eye on spain, Kelly!

Like 0      
10 Dec 2012 8:45 PM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

Duquesa

Its very British with British speaking people and english food.
Everyone has British Sky tv as well.

I know a few people that work on the rigs in Africa and they live in duquesa or benahavis but the ones that bought their houses in benahavis many years ago spend their time in Duquesa.

I have lived in or around Duquesa/Manilva/Sotogrande/Estepona for almost a decade and would highly advise a week in Duquesa before you make a decision.

Estepona is nice but its a bit spanishified

Sotogrande dies in the winter.

Duquesa is year round and has a microclimate so the weather is very consistent.

Very close to gibraltar and a perfect place to land and avoid any culture shock.

If you feel you want to be move to somewhere more Spanish after you have settled and got the hang of living in a `foreign` country there are many spanish places round it to move to, but as you have not indicated you are looking for the spanish way of life or spanish culture it seems like a good choice for you.

This message was last edited by Mungry on 10/12/2012.

i coldnt stay away from you miserable whining whingers for some reason

Like 0      
11 Dec 2012 1:26 PM by xxxkellyxxx Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Thank you very much Cove Robert.

Mungry thank you so so much for this info.... wow such a help.  I may need to find oiut some more info on Duquesa and do my research.  Is it a busy place? I don't like busy busy places as I will never feel relaxed.

Any more info would be much appreciated

THANK YOU!!

Like 0      
11 Dec 2012 3:24 PM by Cove Robert Star rating. 214 posts Send private message

Duquesa is actually quite nice BUT I personally could not stand it for more than a week. It's marina is lovely and one can have a good time siiting there in a Cafe or Bar or Restaurant but that's about it. It's not Spain, it's some kind of enclave. If that is what one is looking for it's perfect.

And one pays tourist prices.

This message was last edited by Cove Robert on 11/12/2012.

Like 0      
13 Dec 2012 12:11 AM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

The prices have come down a lot in Duquesa since the recession so things are much cheaper.

Sure its england in the sun, but based on the origional posters questions or reasons for wishing to be in spain it has to be a good choice.

Most of the Rig workers i know work one month on and off so suggesting living in the campo and surrounding yourself with spanish people to `experience to spanish lifestyle` dosent seem like a good fit as she could be alone for half the year.

Is it busy?

Depends which street you live on i guess.

If you live in the port yes it is but if you live on one of the urbanisations then not really.

Sotogrande is also an option which is a bit more spanish than Duquesa.
But you pay a premium for everything in Sotogrande.
If you research sotogrande dont be put off by the houses that are 5000 euros a month.
There are plenty of reasonable apartments for 850 euros a month.

xxxkellyxxx it all depends on your reasons and intentions for moving.

The way Cave Robert describes Duquesa as an enclave is somewhat right but this is not a negative thing.
Wherever the english have been since the colonial times they have created enclaves such as Happy Valley in Kenya, India, Hong Kong, Gibraltar.

It is rediculously english to the point when spanish people try and order a drink the english bar staff in the english owned bars dont understand them.
Is this a good or bad thing?
For me and millions of people over the last few decades that have settled or passed though Duquesa its a good thing because i want that but for some people its a bad thing because they want to immersed in the spanish lifestyle and their vision of a perfect life is eating olives and playing at being spanish.

Depending on what you want.
In my opinion First visit for a week should be Duquesa which is a 15 minite drive from Sotogrande and a 40 minite drive from Gibraltar (where the monkeys are)
Second week could be somewhere uber spanish so you can compare what you want.

i coldnt stay away from you miserable whining whingers for some reason

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

buying a car in spain - 1 posts
is football becoming more popular or less popular in spain these years? - 1 posts
Internet Slang - 1 posts
New in the forum - 2 posts
New Group on Facebook - 1 posts
rezoning of Commercial Property to Residental use - 0 posts
Flea market at Hipodromo - 6 posts
From Thailand to Spain. Good idea or not? - 41 posts
Majestic Hills - 1 posts
Shouldn't Spanish schools all teach in Spanish (Castilian)? - 22 posts
Living in Spain and managing a UK business - 2 posts
Loss of Sky TV! - 3 posts
Spanish contract law question - Malaga airline - 0 posts
Guard Dog for sale! - 0 posts
Camelot and the EuroMillions - 3 posts
Car Hire Costa del Sol - 1 posts
New here in Alicante/Murcia and have heard about stock car racing! - 0 posts
aifos and 57/68 - 0 posts
non resident tax on property - 6 posts
Residency and taxes - 12 posts
Claiming ESA AND DLA in spain - 4 posts
Tarifa - Morocco and then? - 6 posts
Golf Courses on the Costa del Sol - 2 posts
Murcia International Airport... new name for Corvera - 4 posts
Turkey "tips" please! - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 17

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x