official shop holidays

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Jul 2007 12:00 AM by mervy Star rating in oriheula. 138 posts Send private message

We have recently bought a shop and wondered if anyone could enlighten us as to what holidays the law require us to close.

Like 0      
06 Jul 2007 10:32 AM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar
Hi Mervy, This has got a little murky over the last few years since El Corte Ingles and Erosky have adopted a virtual 365 day opening policy. I open for all national and local holidays/fiestas except for a long Xmas close do to the patern of buyers (i am an estate agent). However even the smaller Spanish shops, especially clothing and shoe shops, seem to ingore the old standard holidays. If you have staff on contract they will have their standard holidays in the main, unless they agree to pay in lieu. Other than that the best advice is suck-it and see. Check who opens in your town during holidays, you may have a draconian town hall so better to be safe than pay a large fine!

Business advice and consultancy - Visit www.calidain2business.com

Calida in2 Business - Spanish Property Clearance.

www.spanishpropertyclearance.com

Like 0      
06 Jul 2007 11:17 AM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Hi Mervy,

We are based in a predominantly Spanish town with residential neighbours so we tend to close on red days regardless of who else is open.

This is purely out of respect for the community as most holidays are set around religous festivals and it only seems fair to respect the beleifs of the majority.

I do know someone who was closed down by the local police for opening on a red day and has had trouble from then on,like i say it is purely out of respect.

As Gillespie says it depends on where you are based and it tends to be a learning curve.

Hope this Helps

Georgia

Like 0      
06 Jul 2007 12:23 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar
Yes georgia is right. My office in Puerto de Mazarron (a very Spanish town) had super-glue put in the locks after the manager opened on Mayday, apparently it was noticed by the marchers passing by. Yet my office in Los Alcazares, very touristy and multi-national opens all the time as do all the shops here and no trouble from the police or Spanish. As I said, it has become a murky area with no pattern compared to pre 2000 when all holidays were observed without exception.

Like 0      
06 Jul 2007 4:10 PM by mervy Star rating in oriheula. 138 posts Send private message

When are the red day holidays.we are have only been in spain 3 months so it is all new.my wife would like there to be a lot of red days(god knows why as i just seem to get under her feet).

Like 0      
06 Jul 2007 4:16 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

There are many many many many many red days depending on the area.

Some months it does not feel like you have been to work at all!(slight exageration)

You have local and National,if you get yourself a local area calendar,sometimes avaliable from the town hall,they should have them all on.

oh,don't forget the green days as well!

Georgia

Like 0      
06 Jul 2007 4:31 PM by mervy Star rating in oriheula. 138 posts Send private message

now you are really starting to confuse me.what are green days?

Like 0      
06 Jul 2007 4:33 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar
Oh mervy, not sure what business you are starting but if it´s estate agency then you have no need to worry they will all be Black-Days ;+))))

Like 0      
06 Jul 2007 4:35 PM by mervy Star rating in oriheula. 138 posts Send private message

I own a post room in la marina village.

Like 0      
06 Jul 2007 4:35 PM by mervy Star rating in oriheula. 138 posts Send private message

I own a post room in la marina village.

Like 0      
06 Jul 2007 4:44 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Green days are enough to confuse everybody!!!!

It generally means some things are closed ie schools etc.................

You will soon get used to it,invest in a calendar.

Good location,not far from the village myself.

I wish you and your family every success with the business,it's not easy but it's all worth it.

Kind Regards

Georgia

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Urbanisation - 30 posts
Long Term rental Salobrena area Costa Tropical - 2 posts
Spanish August Holiday - 5 posts
Hello Can you help? - 5 posts
Anyone noticed we can now see the last 20 posts. - 6 posts
Reputable Air conditioning companies - 0 posts
Boxing Clubs - 0 posts
UK Made Ladies Bicycle - 0 posts
Transferring Back To Uk - 0 posts
new to spain-Montevideo Hills - 1 posts
ribera del marlin - 1 posts
Legal Secretary – Gibraltar - 1 posts
Experienced Administrator – Marbella - 2 posts
GETTING ON THE INTERNET!! - 15 posts
YOUR OPINION AND VOICE TO HUMA. - 33 posts
Mobile phone talking phrasebook !! - 9 posts
BMW 2.8L CONVERTIBLE FOR SALE ON CDS - 30 posts
MOBILE and FIXED LINE INTERNET ACCESS - 0 posts
Breach of COMPLETION DATE Hollwood Hills - 0 posts
Hello i am a newbie - 1 posts
asthma - 3 posts
STOP PRESS re completion & habitation certificates ! 2nd July 2007 - 1 posts
bill and eddy - 2 posts
solicitor required (orihuela costa) - 6 posts
Fantasy Homes By The Sea Wants You! - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x