are yanks welcome?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Oct 2012 3:00 PM by vaya Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Greetings everyone. I've read posts here that are both positive and negative, which I expected. Good info in both kinds too. I'm a single male 40'sish us resident and am intrigued by the cave house communities I've been researching. I am planning on a winter vacation to see the area, and possibly find a house. A few q's come to mind: 1) Are some areas better than others for ex pats? Galera looks very nice, but what about Huescar or Orca? Any suggestions as to what the differences between the communities are? 2) Are there any us citizens in these communities, if so or not, why? 3) There are several brokers online advertising properties, any feedback on which ones are preferable? Any responses would be appreciated. I've been living in a highly populated, and very stressful region of this country, for far too long. I'm ready for a change and wonder if Spain is it. Cheers and have a great day...Vince

Like 0      
09 Oct 2012 3:28 PM by 66d35 Star rating. 243 posts Send private message

Hi Vince,

My wife is a US citizen, and there certainly are other Americans  living in Spain. Not a lot, but a few.

The first issue you need to address is that of immigration. US citizens cannot simply relocate to an EU country. You need a special visa. These are not easy to obtain, and there are only a limited number of circumstances under which they are issued. It is similar (but not quite the same) as an EU citizen seeking to obtain a Green Card in the US. It is certainly not a mere formality. There are very specific rules that must be compied with. Without that, you are limited to a tourist visa only, and you cannot reside here on a tourist visa.

So you need to thoroughly investigate that before even thinking of buying property. Do not (under any circumstances) take a realtor's word for anything on this topic. They want to sell you something... consult a specialized immigration attorney and even then, cross-check any advice given.

With regard to the localities you suggest, I would not wish to be in a cave house there... it can be extremely cold and damp inland in winter here, especially at altitude. Temperatures as low as -8C (17.6 F) are not uncommon in January/February. Some locations are even colder. Coastal localities are much more moderate. Central heating is highly recommended if you are much inland, or are at an altitude of more than a couple of hundred meters.

Like 0      
09 Oct 2012 3:38 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

It appears that Vince is coming for a holiday.  He does not need a visa, unless he is hoping to settle here.

Like 0      
09 Oct 2012 3:52 PM by 66d35 Star rating. 243 posts Send private message

I've been living in a highly populated, and very stressful region of this country, for far too long. I'm ready for a change and wonder if Spain is it.

I kind of read that (in conjunction with asking advice on house purchases) as being suggestive of more than a holiday in the longer term.

Perhaps Vince would clarify?

Like 0      
09 Oct 2012 4:07 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I am planning on a winter vacation to see the area

This message was last edited by johnzx on 09/10/2012.

Like 0      
09 Oct 2012 4:38 PM by 66d35 Star rating. 243 posts Send private message

The whole sentence reads:

"I am planning on a winter vacation to see the area, and possibly find a house"

Like 0      
09 Oct 2012 5:15 PM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

Hi Vince, in response to your question, of course yanks are welcome! Welcome! One of my best friends is American, has been living here for quite sometime now, originally from Boston. He has settled very well. As far as advice is concerned I suggest you come to Spain for a few month and travel around the country to get to know it. If you can narrow down a little what type of location and what weather you would be looking for maybe we can all help you a bit more ; Coastal, Village, Country, Mountains. I assuming from your post that you don't want city life! :) There are fantistic places all over Spain. As far as Huescar and Orca are concerned I'm afraid I can't help you with that one but I am sure there are members living close or in the area who can.

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 0      
09 Oct 2012 5:23 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

and possibly find a house"

I am sorry but I was reading what Vince actually wrote,  and not guessing that he MAY have meant something more than,  'Taking a Vacation'

Thus I did not go beyond his actual words and guess that possibly 'finding a house' was for the vacation which he said he was intending to take.

Like 0      
10 Oct 2012 2:42 PM by vaya Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi, thanks to those who replied to my question, I received some very good advice on the subject of visa. It seems that some of the things I read(from propery sellers sites) were not accurate in regards to getting a permanent visa. Looks like a normal vacation is on the horizon, not a house buying one. I think this is a good forum on all things Spain and will contiue to come back to it for accurate info. Enjoy your day everyone...Vince

Like 0      
11 Oct 2012 8:33 AM by 66d35 Star rating. 243 posts Send private message

Pleased to assist.

The sale of overseas properties is often accompanied by misleading claims about the alleged "ease" with which residence visas may be obtained. This is as much a problem for EU buyers considering properties in the US, as it is for people in US thinking about relocating to the UK. I always advise people to thoroughly, and independently, investigate such issues before parting with deposits, etc.

Things are rarely as simple or easy as sellers suggest.

Like 0      
11 Oct 2012 8:46 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Looks like a normal vacation is on the horizon, not a house buying one.

Enjoy your VACATION

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Prospective rise in Spanish retirement age, how will it affect UK pensioners in Spain? - 3 posts
walking to la zenia boulavard - 5 posts
Paramount theme park - 7 posts
Paramount Kent!!! - 27 posts
Do you live in or around Nerja? Weather info needed! - 11 posts
The running costs of Electricity and Water - 5 posts
New satellite channels from 11th October, Capital & Heart TV - 0 posts
Interested to hear views on this - 9 posts
BONFIRE NIGHT & HALLOWEEN - 9 posts
Advertising Errors in Spain - 3 posts
How would you sell a Static Caravan for Sale? - 7 posts
Air Rifles - The law in Spain? - 0 posts
Traditional townhouse wanted to buy in Jalon valley area - cash buyers - 0 posts
Wanted, long term rental from mid march 2013 couple with small dog. Honest & genuine. - 9 posts
Newbie wanting to say hi and wanting a rental from mid march 2013. - 0 posts
Question about voting at AGM - 8 posts
For SALE - Faux leather sofa bed - 0 posts
WANTED COARSE FISHING TACKLE / EQUIPMENT - 0 posts
Problems editing advert - 1 posts
Newbie Here wanting to be there :) - 1 posts
Wasjigs wanted !!?? - 0 posts
Motor Bike purchase & costs - 12 posts
Legal Wedding in Spain - 1 posts
Does anyone have their boiler serviced? - 0 posts
La Zenia Boulevard.....Amazing - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x