Driving with a UK driving licence in Spain?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Jun 2012 5:03 PM by MizzFixit Star rating in Sunny Marbs. 46 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter
MizzFixit´s avatar

Well folks, here we are with this old chestnut yet again!  Friend of mine has just been fined 200eur for driving here with a UK licence.  He is classed as resident by both Trafico and his insurance company as he has a home here and a spanish plated vehicle (he actually works offshore, which theoretically puts his 'residency' into question, but who's going to try arguing THAT point with Trafico!!)

Insurance company has told me that he has a NIE number beginning with X......... enough to class him as resident and that the law now states that he must exchange the licence.

Trafico tell me the same and say that he would've been allowed 6 months to drive on the UK licence (its a pink card type, allegedly accepted in the whole of Europe) after which time he is obliged to surrender it for the Spanish type of licence.

Ironic thing is that he got this fine as he was knocked off his brand new Spanish registered motorbike, with 100% of the blame being placed on the driver.  He spent a night in hospital, has waited 3 months (so far) for his bike to be repaired and this really is the cherry on the icing on the cake.  

I have a feeling in my bones, that I am going to be bombarded with post from lots of members who are sure that they know the law better so please note that I am only quoting what the Spanish authorities have told me categorically!  

ps:  I did take this up with the British Consulate....... who told me to speak to Trafico!!  ;-)

Has anyone heard of this happening elsewhere recently?

www.mizzfixit.com

I organise, you relax

Like 0      
04 Jun 2012 5:09 PM by Abyss_Rover Star rating in Mallorca. 72 posts Send private message

Not sure if this will help. http://www.ukgovabusesexpats.co.uk/Articles/Driving-licence.htm

Maybe this is more legal. ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-spain/cars

This message was last edited by Abyss_Rover on 04/06/2012.

www.finditfme.com The new, advanced way to find what you are looking for.

Like 0      
04 Jun 2012 5:20 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

What a unfortunate name for a expert

Our Association has carried out extensive research of all the relevant EU. Directives, and have studied all the EU. settled case-law. We also sought a second reasoned opinion from EU. Lawyers, and on 11 March we discussed this matter with the Office of the Head of Unit for the European Commission for Transport and Energy - speaking with their expert
Mr. R.Plank  

Sorry couldn't resist it

Like 0      
04 Jun 2012 5:22 PM by Abyss_Rover Star rating in Mallorca. 72 posts Send private message

Aparently......

EU DRIVING LICENCES IN SPAIN - Medicals

New laws have been recently introduced and these state that if you hold an EU driving licence, you need to hold a medical certificate, the same as a Spanish national. For drivers aged between 18-45, your medical examination is every 10 years. From 45-70 years, every 5 years and for 70 years of age upwards, every two years. If you are caught for ANY driving offence and your medical examination is not current, you will be deemed to NOT HAVE a driving licence.

Worth checking this one out, explains in more detail, including registering!

www.costacalidachronicle.com/component/content/article/121-information-articles/1026-using-or-exchanging-a-driving-license-in-spain.html

Like 0      
04 Jun 2012 5:34 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Abyss,

Nothing new about the law requiring those driving on a non Spanish licences having a medical certificate of physical and mental capacity to drive. 

Its been around for many years,  just that many Brits don’t think it apples to them !

NB     although the cert says only valid for 3 months it seems to be accepted that it is valid for the periods which you show, i.e 10 years to 2 years as appropriate, for non Spanish DL holders.

Like 0      
04 Jun 2012 5:36 PM by MizzFixit Star rating in Sunny Marbs. 46 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter
MizzFixit´s avatar

Thanks Abyss - I already checked out both the links, the first dated back to 2005 so probably out of date.  Although the British Embassy's implies that it isn't necessary to exchange, they actually direct you to Traffico's website for up to date info and of course they have already told me that it has to be exchanged.  Am going round in circles!

The medical thing is true, but dead easy to get them as Traffico now has designated medical centres in most local towns and its really just a sight test!  

www.mizzfixit.com

I organise, you relax

Like 0      
04 Jun 2012 5:47 PM by Abyss_Rover Star rating in Mallorca. 72 posts Send private message

johnzx... I added that for reference. The link below it is more details, including this.....

Foreign drivers from within the EU will still need to register with the traffic authorities within six months of moving to Spain. Details must be registered with the Central Register of Drivers and Minor Offenders (Registro Central de Conductores e Infractores) of the Provincial Traffic Headquarters (Jefatura Provincial de Tráfico) of their place of residence.

Once registered, applicants will need to undergo a medical examination at an Authorised Drivers Check Centre (Centro de Reconocimiento de Conductores Autorizado) to show mental and physical fitness and the standards that apply to Spanish drivers will apply to them.

MizzFixit..... I guess it's back to the same old attitude. Pass the buck and don't accept responsibility, the Brit will pay anyway.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Disabled Badge - 4 posts
WHALE WATCHING in Tarifa - 0 posts
LOOKING FOR A RELIABLE FOUR WHEEL DRIVE MECHANIC? - 0 posts
Tennis Puerto de Mazarron - beginner - 1 posts
the elderly - 2 posts
goldfish - 3 posts
Dog Registry municiple regulation - 0 posts
Bowler hat needed, Fuengirola area - 0 posts
Problem with the New Non-Residents Tax Form 210 - 3 posts
Help Desperately Required - 6 posts
Essential Improvements to Community Infrastructure - 6 posts
Are there any quiet areas? - 28 posts
Serc Mosa - 2 posts
Life in The Euro - 2 posts
moving to spain - 55 posts
temp van insurance - 3 posts
Testimonial - 1 posts
sattelite tv dish with a sky box - 8 posts
Malaga long term rental - 0 posts
police stopping uk cars at malaga airport - 82 posts
The latest global economic scenarios - 3 posts
Generic Bank Guarantees - 34 posts
landlines adsl internet access 24/7 - 3 posts
alicante airport transfer - 20 posts
Corvera Airport - 13 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x