sattelite tv dish with a sky box

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
31 May 2012 4:38 PM by granjero Star rating in lincs. 28 posts Send private message

hi just wondered if anyone can tell me what size of dish is needed to pick up british tv in jaen area of spain , and do i need a sky card in the box to recieve the basic channels ? or can i bring my box and card in my suitcase from the uk to recieve my full package ? or is there any other easier way to view the basic british channels

Like 0      
31 May 2012 10:04 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

ALL BBC channels, ITV1, ITV1HD, ITV2,3,4, C4, C4HD, E4, More4, Five, Five USa and Five* are all available "free to air" and do not require a Sky card.

Five HD is the only main channel that requires a card to view.

At the moment, due to these channels being moved to a temporary satellite, the dish size required now, and maybe until the beginning of next year is smaller than previously requried. In many areas a 1m dish will suffice, in others a 1.25m dish is required, where as before 1.8m and 2,4m dishes were required.  But with the launch of 3 new UK TV satelliese over the next year or so, future reception is unknown, and it may be that a dish you buy today will not be able to receive these channel come next year.

Yes you can bring a sky box and card in a suitcase.It will receive whichever channels your dish can receive. But note that in some aras of Spain not all channels are available 24/7 even on 3.1m dishes!

other alternatives:

rebroadcaster

UK VPN and internet

filmon.com

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
01 Jun 2012 8:43 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Satandpcguy

Interesting post.

My wife was only saying the other day that we seem to get more channels and that our reception had improved, long may it continue.

We used to struggle with ITV and now it's perfect on Sky channel 103, also in wet and cloudy conditions we used to loose the signal, it seems to be fine now.

Out of interest what satellite where these channels moved from?

Like 0      
01 Jun 2012 2:49 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

Channels were moved from Astra 2D.

They have been moved to Astra 1N - a temporary satellite. This has a more "spain friendly" beam that Astra 2D, and so siganls are better..

But it is only temporary , until new satellites ar laucnhed over the next year or so, the first being late this year.

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
12 Aug 2012 12:43 PM by king Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

The Sat and PC Guy,

I recently read one of your articles [ DEFAULT TRANSPONDER FREQUENCY SETTINGS FOR SKY BOXES IN COSTA BLANCA SPAIN ], 

On my last visit to Spain in June, I had the problem you described, with the message of NO SAELLITE SIGNAL BEING RECEIVED, I have had this problem previously, and after awhile the picture has returned but not this time.

You suggested to use a frequency 12207, would this be the same for the Malaga area of the Costa Del Sol, or would I need to use a different frequency? I am coming out to Spain next week and would like to get it working again.

If this fails I may need to buy a new Freesat Box,and bring it over, there seems to be so many different models, which would you reccomend ?

Thanks in advance,

DAVID KING 

Like 0      
12 Aug 2012 9:53 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

YOu can use around 50+ frequencies to help boot up a sky box. 12207 is not exclusive. although as it is on a nice and easy to receive "south beam" it is one of the better one to help boot a sky box up.  

it matters not where you are in Spain, as it is nice and easy to receive.for example 12207 carries about 6 or 7 channels only, amongst them Sky News.

A Sky box with no viewing card receives the same channels as a Freesat box. Whcih to recommend will depend if you want SD, HD, HD and HDD. The Humax Foxsat Freesat+ is pretty much the most popular one to have.

This message was last edited by satandpcguy on 12/08/2012.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
05 Sep 2012 10:20 AM by king Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

Many thanks for your information. i have just been out to Spain, I was still not getting any programes,so I inserted your suggested frequency, and received transmission immediately.

When I think of all  the 40 euro call out fees I have paid to various television engineers, who do not really know what they are doing.

Or do they ???? 

DAVID KING

Like 0      
05 Sep 2012 11:04 AM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
I can't see the point in bringing a freeway box from the UK. I bought one for 59 euros at Worten and instantly got 685 channels! Ok, a lot wer rubbish or duplicate but that's a lot of tv for 48 quid!

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
05 Sep 2012 4:15 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

The advantage of a Freest box (i assume this is what you meant to say by Freeway?) over basic FTA receivers that you get in Wortens, is :

you get access to a full 8 day programme guide and programme synopsis, where as all you get on your FTA box is basic now and next information.

series linking

the Freesat boxes automatically update frequencies should channels change frequencies

you get the red button text services

and you can get standard definition Freesat boxes for around £40-60 anyway.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Malaga long term rental - 0 posts
police stopping uk cars at malaga airport - 82 posts
The latest global economic scenarios - 3 posts
Generic Bank Guarantees - 34 posts
landlines adsl internet access 24/7 - 3 posts
alicante airport transfer - 20 posts
Corvera Airport - 13 posts
kitchen furniture - 8 posts
New administrative requirements for the EU member state residence certificate - 57 posts
Cede the Rights - 1 posts
Spain to close up to 30 state-run airports - 5 posts
Deposit refunded on El Patio - miracle by Costaluz Lawyers - 11 posts
Occupation Licence - 12 posts
Starting a market stall in marbella - 2 posts
CANON DIGITAL SLR KIT - including Wide Angle lense. Great for Property Shoots. - 0 posts
FORD FIESTA 1.4 DIESEL, 2007 PRIVATE SALE - 0 posts
Pick pockets in Vera almeria - 23 posts
SMART A FRAME TOW BAR - 3 posts
Making a Denuncia (crime report) in Spain - 0 posts
Learn Spanish - 0 posts
Someone has advertised my property for sale on eye on spain!!!! - 19 posts
UK THREATENS PLANS TO RESTRICT SPANISH AND OTHER EU MEMBERS FROM ENTRY - 1 posts
Jokes - 0 posts
Mum of 3 looking to meet friends - 0 posts
Car Hire Almeria Airport - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x