Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 May 2012 1:22 PM by nigela Star rating. 415 posts Send private message

Has anyone heard anything about this article:

http://www.tumbit.com/news/articles/5525-corvera-airport-on-hold.html

It sugests that Corvera airport will not open for security reasons.

Like 0      
30 May 2012 7:23 AM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

Only 10 days behind the news !

http://vegamediapress.net/not/1585/queda_bloqueada__sine_die__la_apertura_del_aeropuerto_de_corvera_por_cuestiones_de_seguridad_aerea/

According to this it's blocked  'sine die ' , forever !

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
30 May 2012 12:33 PM by nigela Star rating. 415 posts Send private message

So all that money spent on Corvera airport and now it won't open!  No wonder Spain has a financial crisis.   You woould have thought they would have checked the basics before they started building.

Like 0      
30 May 2012 12:55 PM by bri Star rating in North. 591 posts Send private message

To be fair it is a new government and the reasons given re the demand for flights makes perfect sense. I think a bit of keeping people in work has been going on - just like under our labour government. Sadly looks like the theme park is going under as well.

Brian

Like 0      
30 May 2012 2:31 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

If they just wanted to keep people in work they could have put in our floodwater pipes & re-surfaced the road. Or helped with the rebuild  after the earthquake.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
31 May 2012 12:51 PM by bri Star rating in North. 591 posts Send private message

Yes but that would require joined up thinking - a challenge to governments everywhere!!!!
Seriously it is very sad. The article is saying that the people of the region have been conned into thinking things are better than they are. Looking at the figures I cannot see that it was ever needed.

Brian

Like 0      
31 May 2012 3:29 PM by nigela Star rating. 415 posts Send private message

To be honest its unbelievable that you could complete an airport,  do all the test flights, negotiate staff moving, state you are going to start flights in Summer 2012 and then decide in May 2012 that the airport isn't going to open!  There were many times before the completiion of the airport  that could have been decided.  What a total waste of money and time.

Like 0      
01 Jun 2012 6:08 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Isn't this just speculation?  I can't find anything about this in La Verdad, La Opinion or ABC.  Surely they would have had something about it if it was more than just a rumour?  There are still lots of flights coming into Alicante, and they have said that their taxes will be lower at Corvera, so surely there is still a possibility that it could all go ahead?

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
01 Jun 2012 7:36 PM by mobailey Star rating in San Cayetano. 461 posts Send private message

mobailey´s avatar

If you look at http://vegamediapress.net/not/1585/queda_bloqueada__sine_die__la_apertura_del_aeropuerto_de_corvera_por_cuestiones

you can read the full article but you will have to put it in a translator if you do not read spanish.

Mo&Bryan www.bryansblinds.com &  www.discovercostacalida.info Why not see if can we help  

Like 0      
01 Jun 2012 8:06 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Yes, I read the article earlier, however the point I am making is that this was an anonymous source and it may just be a rumour.  I would have thought there would have been something in one of the other papers if it was more than speculation. John has just pointed out that there wasn't anything in Costa Blanca News either - and they love a good, scare-mongering story! 

Sue

Sue Walker

Like 0      
01 Jun 2012 8:06 PM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

Thank you mobailey for repeating the address of the article re the non opening of Corvera airport.

I think I have a problem with the translation as I read it to say in the last paragraph that the Spanish Government had underwritten the project to the tune of €200 million. I hope I am wrong because it appears that the investors  will get their money back from this guarantee. Can someone who can read Spanish properly please either confirm or deny this interpretation

Thanks

Like 0      
02 Jun 2012 6:37 AM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

It says that the 'technical bankruptcy' of the region of Murcia before next summer is now compounded by the 200million bank guarantee which was Guaranteed by the Autonomous region . This means that the Regional government will be liable for the debt if the constructors can¡t pay . Which they won't if the airport doesn't open.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
02 Jun 2012 1:20 PM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

Thanks for the correction.

Now, as I understand it, a certain Official in Murcia thought it would be a good idea to build an airport near his city even though there was a perfectly adequate one about 20 kilometers away and a much bigger one only about  80 kilometers away.  Then he said that it would be a privately funded one so that if it made a profit, all the profit would go to the investors of which he was one. Then just to make it more attractive for the investors he said that the Region would underwrite the whole project to the tune of €200 MILLION which meant that if it was not finished or it did not make a profit then the Region would pay for everything!  Nobody bothered to check to see if the place where the airport was going to be built was in the right direction for wind, mountains, earthquakes etc. so that Intercontiental planes could fly into it. Also nobody did a feasability study to see if the region would have enough new traffic for  Corvera if San Javier and Alicante were to remain open.

So far so good.

As time progressed he found out that maybe his "baby" was not going so well, so he tries to get the Airport Authorities to close the perfectly good airport at San Javier as there would not be enough traffic for both. This causes a lot of anguish for the employees at San Javier  airport and also the local businesses and residents.

Then we find out that a new theme park is going to be built about 30 minutes drive from this  white elephant which will attract 15 million visitors a year!  GREAT!  Only problem is, that at the time of writing, I understand that the investors are noticable by their absence. Although the foundation stone was laid this week there is no money to build the complex.

Is anyone to be held accountable for this fiasco? Will heads roll? Perhaps not, as this is Spain and nobody cares and another unusable airport joins the list.

If I am wrong will someone please explain to me where I have misunderstood the bigger picture.

Like 0      
02 Jun 2012 3:26 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Just to add to my previous comments: I have checked the expat website Murciatoday (which used to be called Simply Networking) and so far as I could see they have no mention of this story.  I know Zoe spends a lot of time looking for the latest news, and many contacts send her information, so I would have expected her to have picked up on it.

Personally I am hoping that this is only rumour and that Corvera Airport does open as a) it will be more convenient for us than Alicante and b) if flights are cheaper from there it will help my pension go further!

Sue

This message was last edited by suemac on 02/06/2012.

Sue Walker

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

kitchen furniture - 8 posts
New administrative requirements for the EU member state residence certificate - 57 posts
Cede the Rights - 1 posts
Spain to close up to 30 state-run airports - 5 posts
Deposit refunded on El Patio - miracle by Costaluz Lawyers - 11 posts
Occupation Licence - 12 posts
Starting a market stall in marbella - 2 posts
CANON DIGITAL SLR KIT - including Wide Angle lense. Great for Property Shoots. - 0 posts
FORD FIESTA 1.4 DIESEL, 2007 PRIVATE SALE - 0 posts
Pick pockets in Vera almeria - 23 posts
SMART A FRAME TOW BAR - 3 posts
Making a Denuncia (crime report) in Spain - 0 posts
Learn Spanish - 0 posts
Someone has advertised my property for sale on eye on spain!!!! - 19 posts
UK THREATENS PLANS TO RESTRICT SPANISH AND OTHER EU MEMBERS FROM ENTRY - 1 posts
Jokes - 0 posts
Mum of 3 looking to meet friends - 0 posts
Car Hire Almeria Airport - 5 posts
INTERVIEW WITH KEITH RULE ON TELEVISIÓN HELLÍN - 4 posts
FINCA PARCS - TRIAL OF THE YEAR IN HELLÍN - 0 posts
IKEA Malm Single bed frames for sale - 0 posts
Bankia Shares suspended i Madrid - 5 posts
WHo was green first? - 2 posts
What is the best way to get cheaper electricity supplies? - 0 posts
Corrupt President - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 14

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x