Pick pockets in Vera almeria

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 May 2012 2:56 PM by terrii Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Dear all

We have just been informed of the following which happened recently.please see below to what we were told.

We were in Vera at the market on Saturday we had been to the Cajamar Bank on the road where all the banks seem to be not sure of the road name. It would appear that people are watching for people to go into the bank and withdraw money from the cash machines and unfortunately they watched as my Husband withdrew money then watched where he put his wallet , by the time we reached the cafe in the square in Vera he realised that the wallet had been stolen from his pocket and worse still was that they had managed to get his pin number and by the time we were able to stop cards they had taken around 1000 pounds out also his licence and EU medical card so they have plenty of personal information to use. Hope this information may stop some other poor person being targeted
Many thanks

Like 0      
27 May 2012 10:42 PM by joe1949 Star rating in Manchester. 61 posts Send private message

This really ticks me off in Spain. I and my friends have all at some time had money stolen by thieves -usually moroccans or gypsies.

Thieving on the market is particularly bad especially when you hand out bags to be weighed & leave your pockets vulnerable.The police and market traders don't give a damn and now much wiser I never go out with more than 20 euros. 

I find it depressing to have to walk round with my hands guarding keys,money etc every time I go out in a crowd.

Like 0      
28 May 2012 8:29 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Hey guys,   I got news for you.  Practically every country in the world (in fact probably every county) has pickpockets, some are more skilled than others and thus rarely get caught.

From my policing experience in London (30 years) and Spain (20 years) I can assure you that the problem is many times worse in the UK.

Most people who become the victim of a pickpocket contribute to their loss by not taking sufficient care. 

Thefts committed by picklocks usually are not detected until sometime later,  and thus in most cases,  it is unfair (even racist) to  accuse a particular group of people, for example, the gipsies and moroccans. 

It is also probably a gross exaggeration to say the traders and police don’t care. The traders stand to lose business if the problem is particular acute and how can one know the police don’t care?

Like 0      
28 May 2012 11:21 AM by Lifeline Star rating in Murcia. 365 posts Send private message

Lifeline´s avatar

We would like to know how they can get 1000 out of your bank so quickly when we can only get 300 per day? How did they get his pin number?

We are  probably more vigilant as we lived in Caracas, Venezuela for 3 years and could nor even wear cheap jewelry walking the streets! The thinking there, is that you don't value enough to look after it , therefore we will look after it for you.

We were taught- THINK THIEF!

Daveil

Like 0      
28 May 2012 3:13 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Sorry but I am going off thread to pick up on the daily limit point.

I have on several occasions gone into my Spanish bank and over the counter drawn up to 5,000€ on my Nationwide account Debit Card. The normal daily limit seems to apply only to the ATMs

I am not sugesting this might have been how in this case £1,000 was withdrawn.

Like 0      
28 May 2012 4:22 PM by joe1949 Star rating in Manchester. 61 posts Send private message

JohnSX is of course correct in saying all Countries have pickpockets. However he cites London as an example  .I live in Manchester and I have never personally heard of anyone having their pockets picked. Central London is of course now prey to the dregs of other countries where such practices are a career choice. So if  I say Albanians and Rumanians are pickpockets the standard PC Police responce as evidenced by JohnSX is to label one a racist (just as in the Asian grooming cases in Rochdale recently).

As for Spanish Police not being interested try reporting a theft. . By the way they have a special section on the form for 'gitanes' (gypsies). So please do not call me a racist I am merely stating personal experience

Like 0      
28 May 2012 4:47 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Thefts committed by picklocks usually are not detected until sometime later, and thus in most cases, it is unfair (even racist) to accuse a particular group of people, for example, the gipsies and Moroccans. 

I did not call you a racist, I said it would be unfair to say a particular group were guilty of a theft when the loser was unaware who actually stole the property.  However, conjecture based on prejudice may well be racist.

I am not sure what form you are referring to as for several years (maybe around ten)  forms have not been used to report crimes.  They are recorded on computer.

As for Spanish Police not being interested try reporting a theft

The police have set up a 24/7 telephone reporting system in several languages to encourage people to make reports and to simplify the procedure.  I cannot accept that implies they are not interested, on the contary.    And from around 15 years hands on experience, of being encouraged by the police to assist people report crimes, I can say there is no evidence of any lack of interest.

Like 0      
28 May 2012 5:04 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

Regarding limits. On my spanish  "La Caixa " cards the limit is 600€/day , 1800€/week , 3000€/month. This limit is the minimum apparently ( you can't withdraw less than 600€ over the counter with my bank.)  as I was offered higher limits or complete removal if i wanted !

So it's easy if you've a wallet full of cards to lose a lot of money ! Fortunately they'll reimburse you quicker than the Uk banks, regardless of whether you have the pin number with them.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
28 May 2012 5:17 PM by Foxilady Star rating in surrey. 277 posts Send private message

Foxilady´s avatar

The original poster here was quoting heresay and probably has elaborated the story ie the amount lol.

I am a Londoner and agree with John ie that the problems are magnified in the UK.  If i were to stand  at Oxford Circus I can see who the pickpockets are as they signal one another, and guess what!  THEIR ENGLISH!  All of em!  I have done this obviously.

Hell sit in the cafe at the top of Ramblas in BCN and watch the pickpockets.

We have to be careful when we go out, simple as that and depending on where we are different levels of care have to be observed.

So can we please stop blaming foreigners for everything and get real.

Ffs anyone who lives in another country is a foreigner, are they all guilty of a crime?

If I shine too brightly, then put your sunglasses on oy vey

Like 0      
28 May 2012 5:31 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

The story has not been elaborated.

I personally know the couple who have been affected by this & have received exactly this information direct from them.

I think we are all aware that pickpockets operate in any town or city in any country, particularly where there are crowds (as in this case on a busy Saturday market day) but it is also good to receive a warning when pickpockets are active in a particular area. 

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
28 May 2012 6:04 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Receive a warning when pickpockets are active !!!   Well as you said NFM, they are always about !!!!.

But on the point of warnings.  

I knew a pretty good (accomplished) pickpocket.  He used to stand near the ‘Beware of Pickpockets’ signs on the underground as most people, when they see the warning,  touch the pocket where their wallet is,  to ensure it is safe.  A dead giveaway to pickpockets!!!  HJe wpud then follow them for a few minutes until they forgot the warning, and he knew which pocket to go for.   The warning certainly helped him!!!!

Like 0      
28 May 2012 7:39 PM by Foxilady Star rating in surrey. 277 posts Send private message

Foxilady´s avatar

hahahaha John, I have heard of that ploy before in London.  I assume pickpockets to be "active" everywhere and always use a messenger bag and hold onto strap as well as some cut from behind, cheeky feckers that they are lol.

Like 0      
28 May 2012 9:04 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

Johnxyz, you call these pickpockets "picklocks". Is this a UK expression for pickpockets? I haven't heard it before.  I ask because I am not  a Brit  (Rhodesian). 

This message was last edited by GuyT on 28/05/2012.

Like 0      
28 May 2012 10:59 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

GuyT, maybe johnzx's reference to 'picklocks' is just a predictive text error - as you are possibly aware!

This sort of thread always amazes me!  Whenever I am out shopping on my own, I keep my handbag zipped up secure, I do not put it on the passenger seat, I put it on the floor of the passenger side (and even if I did, in certain places I always lock the doors from the inside if I feel insecure in any way), I don't put goods in the boot of the car and then go off on another shopping trip in the same place ..... blah, blah, blah!  

Common sense should prevail!!  We recently went to Barcelona for a long weekend (to take in the F1) and when we were out and about in the city, my husband made sure his wallet was in a pocket not accessible by anyone but himself, my bag was zipped at all times and we generally made sure we weren't a target (I had heard about the terrible pickpocketing in Barcelona!).  It didn't happen to us!   We had a fantastic time in a beautiful city!!

There is a reason why you cover yourself when you enter your pin number ANYWHERE you withdraw money, there is also a reason why you look around you when withdrawing money from an ATM and there are hundreds of reasons why you don't put your wallet in your back pocket and always keep your handbag zipped and secure under your arm!! 

Sorry, but people tend to make themselves easy targets - I've never been pick pocketed in my life, but then I'm paranoid!!!!!! 

This message was last edited by Pitby on 28/05/2012.

Like 0      
28 May 2012 11:36 PM by Foxilady Star rating in surrey. 277 posts Send private message

Foxilady´s avatar

well said pitby, a bit of common sense goes a long long way doesn't it?  Together with just the right amount of paranoi hahahahahahaha

Like 0      
28 May 2012 11:50 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Paranoia has probably protected me a few times in some instances!  I just look around me and, if I feel necessary, keep my handbag on my shoulder when unloading my shopping into the boot of my car, wouldn't even think to leave it unattended on a passenger seat while answering a person's question (whilst unloading my shopping) about whatever (because I seriously don't deem myself that stupid to leave my bag unattended/unsecure in anyway), and my husband also doesn't need to be told to keep his wallet safe (and not in his back pocket or any other pocket that is easily accessed by anyone other than himself!!).

When we lived in Dubai we had the old 'you're tyre is flat' scam - where someone flagged you down saying you had a flat tyre (that they had let down) and then whilst you ventured out of your car to check the problem, they got your handbag!! 

Hey guys, how many times do you need to be warned??  

Like 0      
02 Jun 2012 1:43 PM by Doonhamer Star rating in Orihuela Costa , Spa.... 17 posts Send private message

Doonhamer´s avatar

Last month my wife and I took family and friends to Alicante for the day. We ended up at the Port  - the men went up to the castle and the ladies went to see the Spanish Galleon. While the ladies were sitting on the bench facing the bow of the Galleon my wifes handbag just disappeared. We are all "pickpocket" conscious - she had her bag  over her shoulder  - button flap facing inwards - the strap was leather with a thick chain running through it.

When they stood up to move on - the bag was gone - Car keys[spare], Purse with 400 Euros [for a special present], I.D.  card, S.I.P. card , Address card , House keys , Bank Cards , etc.

Total replacemernt value approx. 700 Euros

Local Brits helped search nearby rubbish bins - no luck.

We then had to search for the Local Police Station , fortunately one of our group could speak basic Spanish and could ask directions. We found it after an hours searching and tried to make a denuncia as required for insurance etc.

NOT SO EASY ---  Denuncias are made to MADRID by Phone [ a free telephone is available in the police Station] - and there is only one dedicated phonenumber  [Plastered all over the Police Station]   - ALL victims making denuncias in Spain are trying to use this number.  - so it is continually "engaged". Fortunately , a very helpful Policeman came out of an adjacent office  and began to call the number for us - he did this every 10 minutes or so all afternoon. Finally he got through and spoke to Madrid in Spanish , then he handed the phone to my friend [with basic Spanish]. Madrid refused to speak to him until he assured them that the "victim" was present but still too shocked to think straight. The "denuncia" was made and my wife [the victim] and our Spanish speaker] hen were allowed to enter an office to do the same with a local officer [NO admittance to this office before making the call to Madrid]. The officer was abrupt and rude [in contrast to the previous one who helped with the Phone call] . He ordered my wife to sit opposite and told our friend to "get out". My wife had to vehemently  insist that he stay. Eventually he agreed and used his computer to refer to the Madrid record /report. He gave us the Denuncia [in Spanish of course] which contained only very basic information but had the all important Reference Number for the insurance etc.

All this took about 4 to 5 hours.

While this was all going on I tried to cancel the Bank/Visa  card using my mobile. Being in a built up area the signal was very poor . I had to try 4 calls before finally finding a town square with enough space to give a usable [just] signal. This experience was almost as bad as the police Station fiasco. I only managed to get enough information through to them to cancell the card before the signal deteriorated. I wasn't  quite sure at the time whether it had been enough [another stress factor].

At the end of the afternoon we were all stressed out and exhausted.

We were gobsmacked two weeks later to get a phonecall from our local police in Playa Flamenca - Orihuela Costa to inform us that the handbag had been recovered in Alicante - sent to our local police staion - and would we like come and collect it  [just ask for "Jesus"].

We did this and everything was in the bag except the cash.

I hope those out there who think they are taking all precautions might learn from this account.

1] Limit what you carry in a secure place on your person.

2] Do your homework - Know where the local police staion is.

3]Make sure you both have the important numbers with you  - for card cancellation etc.

4] Make sure that both of you have cash - and ? who should carry the mobile phone etc.?

5] Be prepared for the above experience. Some police are very pleasant and helpful - SOME ARE DEFINATELY NOT.

6] You MUST learn basic Spanish.

Never allow youself to get smug and feel that it cant happen to you.                        

We were very aware but still got robbed without the slightest warning/indication that it was happening.

We were very fortunate to get the bag back. We worried [ FOR EXAMPLE ] that the new car [25.000 Eros worth] would be driven away in the night using the stolen keys.

With the growing unemployment etc. more people will have to turn to crime to live .

BE MORE VIGILANT

Like 0      
02 Jun 2012 2:12 PM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

Just a couple of point.  If you are going to complain about the service you get from the police at least be factual

Crimes are reported only the National Police, the Guardia Civil or directly to the court. The local police are there to enforce town hall bye laws, if they arrest  someone they have to take them to the ‘real police.’

The Telephone number for reporting crime 902 102 112 it is a multi-line number which can deal with many calls simultaneously and is in English and several other languages.. 

And it NOT FREE although I believe it should. 

Also, for the past couple of weeks the number has not been working a there has been a problem of someone not paying for the service, thus all crime reports (denuncias) must be made in person). When the system is up and running the facts contained in the info which is downloaded is only as good as the info the victim supplied. The police often ‘improve’ the report when they doload the info.   When it is printed it is at that moment the denuncia is made, not when the telephone call is made.  

And as for it being Spanish. We are in Spain.  Everywhere in the world when  a victim reports a crime the report is of course in the official language of that country.   I mean did you really expect it to be in English.

Like 0      
02 Jun 2012 2:33 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

‘ Doom Hammer ’  !!!!

I get the impression from long, drawn out complaint,  you would complain about anything and everything.

At least to some extent a person who is the victim of a crime, especially of a theft not involving violence, is partly responsible.

In the day of Franco, people and entities who were to some extent responsible for a crime could be fined for not taking sufficient care and thus causing the police, at tax payers’ expense,  to  spend time investigating it.

Oh I know you claim you took every precaution,  but if you had taken sufficient care it would not have happened.

Like 0      
02 Jun 2012 5:41 PM by Doonhamer Star rating in Orihuela Costa , Spa.... 17 posts Send private message

Doonhamer´s avatar

The whole point in taking the time to outline our experience was  to try to help / warn others. There was no intention of making a "complaint". I gave the factual information as it occurred.

The point was  to try and underline that what you expect is not always what happens and not to assume you know it all.

We thought we were being careful etc. but it was not enough.

johnzx  :- read it again. Your attitude [i.e. a little too smug] is somewhat similar to ours prior to it actually happening to us.

elaineG :-

Most of what you say coincides with what we believed prior to it happening. However what I wrote is exactly what happened.

We had a friend had his wallet stolen in Torrevieja and we reported it to the Guarda  Civil there . So we expected the same in Alicante .

We were directed to Alicante Centro Police Station  - Blue uniforms - Police cars outside with "Police Local"  all over them.

Inside the entrance there is a phone on the wall . We were directed to this by the "helpful" policeman. No charge.

The point about the call to Madrid is that despite being as you say "multiline"  they are swamped and you can wait for hours to get connected. We expected this to be in English - which it eventually was - but initially they spoke in Spanish and their abrupt / brusque manner did not make things any easier. This added to an already "high stress "situation.

The information they required was almost the same as that later required for the Denuncia . [It seems that both the Madrid call and the "local" Denuncia information given is all part of the Denuncia as a whole .You cant have one without the other. ]

When making the "Local" part of the Denuncia the policeman referred to the computer screen and confirmed the info. given to Madrid. You are not allowed to " tell your story" to Madrid on the phone  - they ask the questions  - and you answer [? to save time?].  This as you say  is reflected in the content of the Denuncia printed out. The point I made about it being in Spanish  was that if you don't have basic Spanish  - How can you check that it is factual and "what you said" etc. Once you walk away it is too late to change anything in the Denuncia.

Many of our assumptions regarding  what the procedure was  were wrong and this added to our  stress levels.

I hoped that my account might prepare others. As I said - we thought we were fairly clued up on personal security and had taken reasonable precautions. The reality was somewhat different.

We now - for instance - have to decide whether to carry our spare set of car keys when visiting  Alicante. Should the same thing happen again and we don't have our spare keys - we could be stuck a long way from home with no money -no phone  - no car etc. Not a pleasant prospect. -  So -  what do you do?

I am not the complaining kind - I hope that my post would give people pause and to review  what they need to do should it happen to them  - just a case of "heads up".

There really isn't much more to say .

This message was last edited by Doonhamer on 02/06/2012.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

SMART A FRAME TOW BAR - 3 posts
Making a Denuncia (crime report) in Spain - 0 posts
Learn Spanish - 0 posts
Someone has advertised my property for sale on eye on spain!!!! - 19 posts
UK THREATENS PLANS TO RESTRICT SPANISH AND OTHER EU MEMBERS FROM ENTRY - 1 posts
Jokes - 0 posts
Mum of 3 looking to meet friends - 0 posts
Car Hire Almeria Airport - 5 posts
INTERVIEW WITH KEITH RULE ON TELEVISIÓN HELLÍN - 4 posts
FINCA PARCS - TRIAL OF THE YEAR IN HELLÍN - 0 posts
IKEA Malm Single bed frames for sale - 0 posts
Bankia Shares suspended i Madrid - 5 posts
WHo was green first? - 2 posts
What is the best way to get cheaper electricity supplies? - 0 posts
Corrupt President - 3 posts
Finding the Owner of a Property - 4 posts
Moral of the story? Don't pay up front!! (Ingofersa related, indirectly) - 4 posts
Frankie bar Vera playa review - 0 posts
Bellavista playa review - 0 posts
prosthetic clinic in Spain - 5 posts
El mar la mar review - 2 posts
Just too damn cute for words.... - 3 posts
Juzgados - Servicio Común de Actos de Communicacion - what is this communication? - 3 posts
Keith Rule´s legacy - 1 posts
Osteria mojacar review - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 24

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x