N.I.E.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 May 2012 12:58 PM by moosh Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

This may have come up before but I,m a newbie so excuse me if I bring it up again.

I have lived in Spain for six years my son has now returned home at the age of 34 due to an acrimonious divorce and has been offered some summer bar work here.The problem is how to get an NIE.The appointment site now replies that there are no more appointments,an english girl who has lived here for years applied for an appointment three months ago,got it for last week,turned up at the office and was told sorry we arent issueing NIE numbers to foreigners anymore.So in theory no one can buy a house,get a job or open a bank account.Is this to stop other europeans getting jobs in spain,if so its against EU law.Anyone know whats going on.

Like 0      
19 May 2012 1:55 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

NIE and residencia are now being done at the same time with the same form.  You don't put where you live but there are no problems obtaining these in the Valencian Community at the moment.  The last week has been a bit of a muddle due to changing rules but the process was still continuing.  A three month wait seems a bit ridiculous.

Like 0      
19 May 2012 4:31 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Bobaol

If one applies for an NIE only as they are not going to be resident in Spain but maybe buying a property, then they get an NIE cert.

If (as an EU citizen) one registers on the EU Foreign Citizens Register, without previously having an NIE,  one gets a number which is the NIE. If one already has an NIE when they register then the same NIE is shown on the new certificate.

It is exactly as it was when there were Residencia Cards.   In fact a non EU citizen still gets  a Residencia Card which has a number;  it is their NIE-.

If one needs  to Register as a matter of urgency, ask for the complaints form, it is very likely you will get the cert there and then, of course you won't make any friends with the police !!!

Moosh,
                              from what you say, maybe your son already has an NIE, if he lived here previously.

Incidentially where was the NIE refused and did you make a complaint ?

Like 0      
19 May 2012 5:38 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

The form you are given at Elche or Orihuela is a dual form unless you specifically ask for an NIE only.  It may be different where you are but the dual form is automatically given if you have not got an NIE.  The solicitors assistant said it was now the norm to take out both as it is not a residency certificate anymore, which you remind us of on a regular basis.  She also said they would not put you as a fiscal resident on the basis of this form as you would have to declare that later.

This from Practical Spain

Spain has updated the regulations governing NIE applicants; it is now official policy for all new foreigners wishing either to reside or buy property in Spain to complete an EX18 NIE form which also covers Residencia, regardless of whether or not they are buying property for a permanent residence or a holiday home.

Like 0      
19 May 2012 6:11 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Bob

You are in effect agreeing with what I said.

Incidentally it’s the ‘Residencia ’ which no longer exists (although it does for non EU nationals).

EU citizens from a country other than Spain, register as being resident in Spain.

Like 0      
19 May 2012 6:19 PM by moosh Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Bobaol,

No my son has not lived here before,but the girl I referred to has lived here seven years since she was 13,her parents have now returned to UK and she wants to stay,I dont think she knew about the complaints form.In Huelva maybe they do things differently,I know it usually takes three months to get an appointment as when I applied for residencia a couple of years ago it did then.

Like 0      
20 May 2012 8:58 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Moosh

I understand that the police are being ‘restrained’ from issuing the Registration Cert. as new regulations are in the pipeline maybe for September (designed to prevent the abuse of the health system which has occurred)   but that should not affect getting an NIE.

I suggest your son goes to the Documentation Office of the National Police for the area where he lives and explain the urgency. If he is refused, he should ask for, and insist on getting,  the Hoja de Reclamación (complaint form). I think he will get ithe cert.

Like 0      
21 May 2012 9:37 AM by 66d35 Star rating. 243 posts Send private message

You are entitled to receive a Certificado de Registro de Ciudadano de la Unión immediately, on request. If you are refused or subject to delay, then you should contact SOLVIT and fle a complaint.

ec.europa.eu/solvit/site/about/index_en.htm

This will also include your NIE. If you do wish to apply for an NIE separately, frankly, you should be able to as not everyone who has an NIE wishes to remain for more than 90 consecutive days at a time. Refusing this is crazy, as clearly house sales, car sales, utility contracts, everything will come to a complete halt. It is completely bonkers!

If you have suffered inconvenience or loss as a result, state this in your complaint.

Spain is simply flat-out violating the rules on this at present. The more complaints the better.

Like 0      
27 May 2012 7:15 PM by andaluciaproperties.net Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi,

i understand that the Spanish Government are changing the rules for NIE and Residencia shortly so you will find that most places will not issue one at the moment.  Contacy your nearest Consulate and ask for help, you could also look at their website

Like 0      
28 May 2012 9:47 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I  understand that the Spanish Government are changing the rules for NIE and Residencia shortly so you will find that most places will not issue one at the moment

Having spoken to the officer in charge of a documentation office in my area, I can confirm that changes will take place, probably in September,  but the officer I spoke to said that NIE and EU Citizen Certs were being issued as previously.

Whilst I was in that office I saw people being processed and the documents being issued.

Like 0      
28 May 2012 10:54 AM by andaluciaproperties.net Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Unfortunately in Malaga area most apps are being turned away at the present time

Like 0      
28 May 2012 10:58 AM by 66d35 Star rating. 243 posts Send private message

Are they issuing NIE numbers? Obviously, if not, then that is going to cause chaos as (unlike the useless 'residence registration') that actually does have a genuine purpose and is required for bank accounts, utility contracts, car purchases and property sales.

Like 0      
28 May 2012 11:08 AM by andaluciaproperties.net Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

I was advised this by the Consulate last week, but I think if the app is urgent ( for a particular purpose ) it will be done

Like 0      
28 May 2012 4:38 PM by RonArt Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

¡Uf! Spanish bureaucracy. I'm a retired American who wanted to spend all my retirement income in Spain. They wouldn't have it. I did manage to spend 3 months in Málaga capital (and loved it). I would go back but I would never attempt another Retirement Visado.

While there, one internet provider required an NIE for service (later I found another ISP that did not). I went to the Police Commissioners office and started the paperwork. It took 3 visits over 2 weeks but they finally determined that I was living in Manilva. No I wasn't. Well they said I was. I'm guessing the paperwork for my visado got lost in the system after being approved(?)

Anyway, as EU citizens you shouldn't have to suffer as much as I did. But it appears I am using logic again. Good luck. Keep telling yourself that Spain is worth it -- for the most part, it is. Imagine how much Spain would improve if it weren't its own worse enemy.

Like 0      
28 May 2012 4:57 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Ron

As an alien, of course you have considerably fewer rights in the EU than EU citizens, who have an absolute right to live and work in which ever EU country they wish. 

Incidentially, I was too was treated as an alien when I was in USA,  having to jump through many bureaucratic hoops.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 28/05/2012.

Like 0      
28 May 2012 5:09 PM by RonArt Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

Yes, I agree that there is more required of aliens -- in either direction, especially those coming to work. One of my points is that even though my 24.000€ would not have saved the whole of Spain, it would have contributed toward the salary of one Spaniard. How many more alien retirees are there out there? I know of 2 others that did get a visado and now live in Sevilla. Spain should not be turning away the blessed rain that previously fell on another country.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

AND HERE YOU HAVE IT - 4 posts
Must we file again in June on rental income in previous year? - 2 posts
What role UK played in spanish bubble? - 19 posts
Tax Return Help & Deregister in UK - 3 posts
Help with Viat - 5 posts
new member - 5 posts
PVC 3Mtr diameter Pool in AKI hardware - 1 posts
A huge thank you to Maria and her team at Costa Luz Lawyers - 2 posts
The future for ex pats - 74 posts
Internet and lines for everyone no matter where you are - 4 posts
Swap / part exchange - 2 posts
Honda 5.5HP Engined Petrol Lawn Mower - 1 posts
Range Rover Thule Roof Bars - 0 posts
2 Ikea Loft Beds For Sale - 0 posts
catching crays - 0 posts
Ole Internet in Playa Flamenca - 0 posts
BMI BABY Demise - 2 posts
Moving to rural Spain. - 5 posts
Electricity Supply - 3 posts
Juzgado de Estepona - 9 posts
Eye on Spain property for sale - 13 posts
Legal tip 758. More Case Law on Bank´s liabilities for off plan refunds 15 May 2012 - 7 posts
Kindle wanted - 1 posts
Not much time left on my British passport - 4 posts
Looking at a move. - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 16

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x