Will the property market ever recover

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 May 2012 3:59 PM by papa Star rating. 64 posts Send private message

Does any one know where the Iberdrola office is in Pillar horadada  They owe me 44 Euros  Even though I'm a millionaire I'm not letting the money grabbing Iberdrola get away with anything  !!!

Like 0      
12 May 2012 4:01 PM by campoman Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

papa ........if i had won the lottery, and been rich enough to give 2 millon to charity. I would have MUCH better things to do that sit about on a Saturday afternoon  posting how generous I am  on web site forums !!!!!!!!!!!perhaps its better not to win if thats how sad you become ?

Like 0      
12 May 2012 4:14 PM by papa Star rating. 64 posts Send private message

You're right campoman I don't usually do this on a Saturday but I've just returned from a caribbean cruise and an exhausting trip to the Med  I'm watching the Rugby on tele and relaxing a bit before I go to Southampton for another cruise.

You know money dosen't stop you from doing normal things. I'm going bowling soon after the rugby

Sorry to upset you perhaps I can buy you a pint some time in Spain

Like 0      
12 May 2012 4:31 PM by MetGB Star rating. 52 posts Send private message

i am smiling here, as methinks we may have a troll hahahahahahahahaha

Like 0      
12 May 2012 4:37 PM by papa Star rating. 64 posts Send private message

"May we all live in interesting times"

It's certainly going to be an interesting year for me. Looking forward to calling back at Cartagena 

Like 0      
12 May 2012 4:54 PM by JWhite Star rating. 124 posts Send private message

Me thinks Papa is a wind up artist taking the Mick !!!!  

Like 0      
12 May 2012 6:58 PM by wodger Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

I.M.H.O.

The bottom line is that superior quality properties ( €1m plus ) whether in London, Prague, Roma, Berlin, Madrid etc etc. will always sell easily. The people that can afford quality will always be prepaired to pay a good price for the right property, & will not worry too much if the price drops in the short term.

We are renting a villa long term on the Costa Blanca for €550.00 per month. I love it here but have no intention of buying in the current financial climate. The fact is that if I wanted to I could rent my house back in the UK & easily acheive £2500.00 per month. If ever I need extra cash then this is an option that I may consider.

Like 0      
12 May 2012 7:05 PM by JWhite Star rating. 124 posts Send private message

The rich are always guaranteed to get rich, no matter what the financial or economic climate.   In prosperous times the rich gain on high interest and investments, in the austerity years they get richer by taking commodities from the poor, like cheap labour and cheap properties.

Such is life, some  things never change

Like 0      
12 May 2012 7:07 PM by iangrantsinger Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

Speaking from a property agents perspective........everyone keeps talking about how much more property prices will inevitably go down. The sad fact is, it's virtually impossible to set a realistic sales price and when people come into our office looking to sell their property and ask what the value should be, the only answer we can give is that they will receive whatever someone is willing to offer and they're willing to accept.

So there doesn't appear to be a "normal" base price from which prices can drop.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who are now trapped in negative equity situations, or have been ripped off by equity release schemes and even those who are mortgage free are reluctant to sell their property for less than they paid for it.

Undoubtedly there are a lot of people in these situations who have found themselves in such a position due to them being motivated by greed.........and as someone said, that's just business! But there are equally a lot of people who have found themselves stuck due to the sharp selling practices of dodgy mortgage brokers, financial advisers etc and for those people I have genuine sympathy.

The Spanish banks are being very short sighted by not (currently) being willing to sell any of their re-possessed properties for less than the value of the outstanding mortgage and as a lot of those mortgages were over inflated in the first place, they haven't got a snowball's chance of shifting much of their stockpile, until/unless they're prepared to take a hit and sell at a more realistic price.

At least the Gibraltar based branches of UK banks are being more realistic and selling properties way below the value of the outstanding debt. One example being a large (now derelict) villa on a 3000m2 plot with outstanding debt of well over €1 million being released for €450K.

And I can back up what someone said about Spain still being a desirable place for retiring ex pats, or those seeking a lifestyle change. Our long term rental business is busier than ever!

So, not everything is "doom & gloom"!

Like 0      
12 May 2012 7:46 PM by papa Star rating. 64 posts Send private message

well said iangrantsinger  I've just returned from bowling (in the rain!) and miss Spain for the weather

You are absolutely spot on ref property worth ie WHAT PEOPLE WILL PAY & WHAT YOU WILL ACCEPT

. I believe long tern rentals is the answer for many years to come However the renters NEED CLOSE VETTING!! I've seen some rental Hill Billies recking the joint!  

Like 0      
12 May 2012 7:56 PM by iangrantsinger Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

Oh yes, forgot to mention........if you are a property owner looking to rent out your property, always thoroughly vet your prospective tenant and always try to get at least 3 months deposit. If someone can't afford to pay a decent deposit to rent what is effectively your home, you have to question whether they can afford to rent at all?

Even then there are no guarantees they won't find an excuse not to pay the rent til they've used up the deposit, then leave the place trashed.

Doesn't happen very often in our experience but better safe than sorry!

Like 0      
12 May 2012 8:41 PM by lizh Star rating in Estepona/London. 161 posts Send private message

I  don't think that property prices will return to the peaks, which were silly prices only possible because the pound was strong against the euro. Looking at our beautifully finished development on the list of banks selling repossesed new property I see that houses priced at €550,000 4 years ago are now being sold at cost at €230,000.  Fully fitted Bosch kitchens, each house with its own lift, built by  top builder Dragados. If they won't sell what will?There's basically too much property and not enough money or jobs.  

Like 0      
13 May 2012 6:12 AM by potblack Star rating in Alicante & Singapore. 233 posts Send private message

potblack´s avatar
Hello, I am fairly new here and was considering buying a property for retirment, but before I do, I would be interested to know and people’s opinion about all these cases and stories of corruption, illegal builds and the rest of whatever has gone on, just like this one,

‘’Couple fight eviction from their home’’. Listed this week EOS. This case seems like an outright criminal offence, (or it certainly would be in the UK) is there no criminal justice system in Spain or does the answer lie in the question below.

Is it mainly the Brits/Expats that have been victims to these entire goings on? Or has it been shared in equal proportion with the Spanish nationals

Like 0      
13 May 2012 7:53 AM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

Potblack . It affects everybody but obviously the Brits being the largest buyers , you hear more about it.  The spanish are affected by it just as much as anyone. I was reading recently about a developer in a spanish village who'd gone under  leaving all the spanish buyers , some of whom had paid & lost 80k.

The legal system doesn't work at a very fast pace due to being overloaded with work. I own here witout problems but I certainly wouldn't buy again as rental cost are so low & if you fancy a change you can just move on.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
13 May 2012 10:14 AM by TheWoodbug Star rating. 32 posts Send private message

Good morning all,

It has been most interesting reading the posts concerning this thread and I had no idea it would attract so many, in the main (there’s always one isn’t there?) sensible ideas and opinions.

It is evident that the consensus of opinion is that buying a home here does come with problems and is fairly risky which is confirmed by the absence of professional and commercial investors not taking up the slack at very low cost.

As an example, I know of a new Aparthotel on offer at 40% of the original asking price, and that was a distressed sale price, and not one bid was attracted. Six years ago that would not even have been advertised, it would have gone immediately before it hit the market. It has to be said that buying property in Spain is fraught with danger from an illegal build being purchased without the buyers knowledge to the badly constructed, bordering on dangerous, leaving out the minefield of documentation and the complexity of  the very anomalous planning, building, licensing and conveyance laws, which appear to be interpreted in several different ways, depending where you buy.

A case a couple of years ago highlights how simple it is to unknowingly take the wrong path when a huge piece of land was split into ‘plots’ and the local council granted building permits for 100m2 Almacens (storage units). All buyers were assured it was quite normal procedure and that’s the way it was done.

The local mayor and cronies ‘organized’ builders and saw to the designs and after many homes had been built and occupied, the regional Junta declared them all illegal and fines of up to 30,000 Euros were imposed. Many other cases are well documented throughout the Costas and inland.

In July 2011 Jose Grinan, President of Andalucia announced that he would be legalizing 330,000 illegally built homes in Andalucia. 330,000? In Andalucia alone………….. It is impossible to imagine how many there may be throughout Spain then!

Woodbug

Like 0      
13 May 2012 10:22 AM by D_B_S Star rating. 178 posts Send private message

This thread certainly has legs, as well as many twists and turns. It's been a week since I connected to the forum and feel  I'm starting to loose  touch with the situation in Spain and Europe in general as our news is very local - dog bites man, man bites dog type of thing.

But we do get a lot of business news most is very mining and energy biased since that's our main export, however one piece of info that made a head line was that the 30Bn Euro used to fund Bankia had previously been lent to the Spanish government by you guessed it Spanish Banks.

So the Spanish government are now paying interest on bonds provided by the Banks to bail out the Banks - my head is starting to hurt on this one.

BTW jobs here in WA for mining engineers currently a 1000 shortfall and paying the highest rates in the world. Long way from Europe - or any where else, but the climates good, approaching winter and still 23C today with a good wind so the sailing was fantastic this weekend.

David

Like 0      
13 May 2012 2:15 PM by potblack Star rating in Alicante & Singapore. 233 posts Send private message

potblack´s avatar

Thanks for the info guslopez

As you say

''The legal system doesn't work at a very fast pace due to being overloaded with work''.

Umm I suppose it's difficult to get staff at the moment !

Like 0      
13 May 2012 3:51 PM by TheWoodbug Star rating. 32 posts Send private message

I would think it's b***dy impossible to find satff that can understand Spanish law!

Woodbug

Like 0      
13 May 2012 3:57 PM by papa Star rating. 64 posts Send private message

There's no such thing as Spanish law  It's all made-up regional jargon to suit the corrupt local mayors etc They have to abide by EU law !!!

Like 0      
13 May 2012 4:18 PM by TheWoodbug Star rating. 32 posts Send private message

What? Spain abide by  EU rules? They don't even abide by their own rules! Let me tell you whenever  the blue star spangled banner is hoisted up the pole, Spain and Portugal do NOT stnd to attention and salute - come to think about it, the UK is probably the only nation that do!

Woodbug

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Bankia - 0 posts
Man and a Van to Murcia - 4 posts
Sunday Opening Hours - Supermarkets - 5 posts
Calling a meeting / Employing workers - 0 posts
pet freindly places to stay - 1 posts
Costaluz, Maria L. de Castro did it again! - 7 posts
EU Citizens, Passports, and JSA - 6 posts
Hi im Louise - 4 posts
Mobile American Hoit Dog Cart....... - 1 posts
Anyone completed modelo 576 online? - 0 posts
Cucador Almeria - 3 posts
Non resident tax - 19 posts
Is there added salt in bottled water - 4 posts
Need a Family estate car - 2 posts
ITV Car test - 13 posts
HEATING SPANISH APARTMENT - 5 posts
jill - 8 posts
Maureen Hoskin - 0 posts
angina medication in spain - 0 posts
Tree Cutting Licence - 0 posts
BMI flight cancellations - 0 posts
BMI BABY - 0 posts
Gibraltar Border - 3 posts
QROPS Pensions - 14 posts
Legal tip 754. You need to buy again in Spain - 10 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 81

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x