UK TV for my holiday home.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Mar 2012 12:00 AM by adamsville Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi there I am new to the site & looking for the cheapest way to have TV during the summer months. I know Torresat have a holiday package but it is expensive. Does anyone have other ideas? Thanks

Like 0      
19 Mar 2012 12:59 AM by DonLochnagar Star rating in Mazarron. 161 posts Send private message

The cheapest way would probably be to get a Wifi package which you could turn off when you were not there and use it to recieve UK TV.  Where is you house?

Like 0      
19 Mar 2012 9:06 AM by ringo1 Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

a satelite system would cost about 500 euro fitted you would then have english freeview at no cost after inital outlay.

Like 0      
19 Mar 2012 10:29 AM by DonLochnagar Star rating in Mazarron. 161 posts Send private message

You will have to pay €700 for a 1.9m dish which you really need if you are in southern Spain and around €150 for a box.

Like 0      
19 Mar 2012 10:48 AM by ms51 Star rating in uk/Los Alcazares. 100 posts Send private message

We paid under 500 and it INCLUDES the box, No it is not the 1.9 dish but its fine does the job, yes when the weather is really bad you do lose some of the channels but not all. If your property is big enough to take the 1.9 and you can afford it well thats another choice.Ours has to go on the solarium so it was better for the smaller one. But most TV instataions include the box, unless your going to so it yourself

Like 0      
19 Mar 2012 10:56 AM by DonLochnagar Star rating in Mazarron. 161 posts Send private message

It all depends where you are and what kind of reception you insist on.

Like 0      
19 Mar 2012 11:40 AM by twosuz Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

We have a toresator simulsat aerial which we pay monthly for. We have been told that if you stop your direct debit you will still get free channels (ITV3 Sky news etc). Is there a way of using an english free box with this aerial in stead of the supplied sat box and still recieve english programs? Can you use the free view box with a spanish aerial?We dont really want a massive dish as we only have a small roof terrace.

Like 0      
19 Mar 2012 11:49 AM by ms51 Star rating in uk/Los Alcazares. 100 posts Send private message

We have a tv upstairs that has built in freeview, but we can only pick up Spanish tv no English TV channels, but we do get 2 english radio channels

Like 0      
19 Mar 2012 1:46 PM by mobailey Star rating in San Cayetano. 461 posts Send private message

mobailey´s avatar

We have just had a 100cm dish fitted on to our balcony and how get 300 channels but must admit that some are repeated in other words 5 channels are BBC1 etc.  our balcony is not that big and the dish does not take up that much room.  It costs 199euros one off payment.  (we paid an extra 50euros and now get HD we live here permanently)  If you want more info sent us a PM.

Mo&Bryan www.bryansblinds.com &  www.discovercostacalida.info Why not see if can we help  

Like 0      
19 Mar 2012 2:01 PM by lobin Star rating. 256 posts Send private message

I have an iPad with an App called FilmOn TV Plus (www.filmon.com) where I receive and view BBC1 and 2, ITV1,2,3,4, Channel 4, Channel 5,  and others through my normal ADSL broadband lnternet connection with Telefonica (10Mb).  It works fine to view it on the iPad screen but while this is fine for one person, it is too small for several.

However, you can also stream the signal wirelessly from the iPad  to any HD TV set with a little black box called Apple TV (around 80€) which you hook up to your TV by HDMI cable and have your iPad running in the same room.

I believe this is probably the cheapest way if you already use an iPad for other purposes and have broadband internet (around 25€ per month if you also have your mobile with Telefonica or around 40€ per month if you don't).  You can turn it on when you get to Spain and turn it off when you leave.

Like 0      
19 Mar 2012 2:08 PM by ms51 Star rating in uk/Los Alcazares. 100 posts Send private message

Now thats a bargain (the 199 e plus 50 for HD)

This message was last edited by ms51 on 19/03/2012.

Like 0      
19 Mar 2012 2:18 PM by AdrianH Star rating in UK (mostly) / Los Mo.... 23 posts Send private message

We have a holiday home on the Costa Blanca and like you wanted a low cost way to have English TV when we were visiting without the hassle of subscriptions, particularly in the spring and autumn when the evenings can still be chilly on the CB.

We purchased a 1.4m dish and including cabling up two rooms with one receiver the total cost was less than €400 fully fitted. The second receiver cost £29.99 in the UK. The picture does break up in bad weather but since we swapped the main receiver for an HD box this happens a lot less often.

There are lots of installers out there and the quality of their work varies so if you decide to pay for an installation try to find a fitter who is recommended by a friend who has used them unless you are comfortable you know enough to spot a cowboy.

The system paid for itself in about 18 months and as its only a holiday home right now we unfortunately just aren't in Spain enough to need all the subscription channels. If we lived there then that might change but at the moment we spend as much time as possible living outside, enjoying the sunshine and warmth.

Good luck finding a solution for your home.

Like 0      
19 Mar 2012 3:14 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

If you have an iPad (as lobin mentioned) or, indeed, an iPhone you can also just buy a composite cable for it for about €20 and plug it into your tv (rather than pay out €99 for an Apple TV box).  This works fine too.

This message was last edited by Pitby on 19/03/2012.

Like 0      
19 Mar 2012 9:12 PM by growler Star rating in Birmingham & Benejúz.... 164 posts Send private message

Personally I wouldn't consider anything that uses any type of dish and/or regular TV subscription to be "low cost" or "cheap" !!!

Broadband (assuming you'd use it for data / voice anyway) has to be the way to go, but I suspect because there are so many different ways to do it and it's not available everywhere that lots of people get "sold" dishes? (just a theory)  ;O)

The cheapest method I've seen used is to keep some basic server software running 24x7 on an old PC at your UK address  (stick it in the shed and forget about it) , then use another PC (or ipad etc) in spain to access the IP address in UK and access the available free online TV resources just as if you were sat in UK.

Don't ask me precisely how it's done - I have some crib notes to follow but haven't got broadband laid on in spain myself yet!

Like 0      
20 Mar 2012 8:13 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I am currently in Malaysia. I have been watching some UK TV on my laptop. I am using expatshield.com which shows my apparent location as in the UK. If my connection speed was better then it would be a pretty good service. And FREE

I have used it in Spain too where I have about 10 gigabytes.   No delays in streaming

Like 0      
20 Mar 2012 11:49 AM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

I use Expatshield in Spain and Scandinavia. It is free and works very well. To avoid the adverts running in the background switch it off when not watching TV and when you are watching TV expand the picture to full screen and then they don't cause a problem.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
22 Mar 2012 2:09 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

We have just had a 100cm dish fitted on to our balcony and how get 300 channels but must admit that some are repeated in other words 5 channels are BBC1 etc. our balcony is not that big and the dish does not take up that much room. It costs 199euros one off payment. (we paid an extra 50euros and now get HD we live here permanently) If you want more info sent us a PM.

Until recently in some areas of Spain a 1.8 or 2.4m dish was required to BBC reception.

Howewver, due to a TEMPORARY satellite change, all BBC, ITV, C4s and Fives should be available on an 1m dish.

It is expected that by the end of the year, when a new satellite is launched, then these chanenls will no longer be available on smaller dishes.

As long as you were told this is only a short term "bonus" before installation then you have no problems, as it was your decision to go ahead knowing this inforamtion. But there are many companies, advertising in the local papers, "forgetting" to mention this.

Supposably, when (if?) the channels go off small dish instalaltions by xmas, and the installers did not mention this to you, then could you claim money back...? Doubt it as its their word vs yours. But they cannot say "we did not know" as it is common knowledge with decent installers and if they id not konw then they should not be doing the work in the fist place!

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

General Strike and Flights from UK - 0 posts
Sell my property! - 7 posts
Is it legal? - 4 posts
Asking for help, be more specific - 0 posts
Bad tenants - 21 posts
Wanted - 1 posts
Driving from Santander to Murcia, need Hotel stop over - 6 posts
Help please - 0 posts
SPAM MESSAGES ON EOS BLOG - 1 posts
Holidays in Spain the easy way.... - 21 posts
Hello Everyone! - 0 posts
PRUNA SEVILLE - 2 posts
Refund from Electricity Company - 2 posts
custom agent - 0 posts
water shortages - 4 posts
Costa Blanca Fresh Water Fishing - 3 posts
These True Religion Jeans Online jeans are stone washed with - 1 posts
driving from the uk - 7 posts
Spanish funerals/undertakers info and other cheerful stuff - 22 posts
Place in the sun Live, Earls Court March 30th-April 1st. 2012 - 46 posts
Opinion and advice on foreign currency mortgage - 9 posts
doctoers online appoinments. - 1 posts
Les Miserables in Concert inside the Rock of Gibraltar! Males singers and choir wanted. - 6 posts
2012 - SAVE UP TO 10% ON BRITTANY FERRY CROSSINGS.FRANCE AND SPAIN - 2 posts
Urbanization Annual AGM - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 17

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x