Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Jan 2012 12:00 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

I am new to Skype; found it easy enough to set up though. Maybe it is the 'no such thing as a free lunch' cynic in me but how do they make their money. Several times I have handled calls from the U.S., in two cases they have lasted over an hour; one over two hours. Yet, they're free? Surely a catch?

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
25 Jan 2012 12:52 AM by jonkil Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

They hope you will take out a subscription so you can call landlines/mobiles etc... (I did, cheap too!)

And no, there is no catch.... skype to skype is FREE.... I even have it on the iphone and works great.

Another app is "Viber".... for smartphones... family calls for me is free.

Be aware, you are using data when you use VOIP, so if you have a broadband limit be aware you could exceed it.

Skype's a great programme, still the best in my opinion.

Like 0      
25 Jan 2012 3:30 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Mike,

It would seem that are new to VOIP (making calls via the internet)-

Skype was the first but they are not the cheapest.

Skype is free between those signed up but many of the others are also free to land lines and even mobile.

My wife calls the Philippines using www.voipcheap.com. A call to a land line is 10 euro cents a minute, Skype charge 20 cents

I suggest you shop around for the best deal for you, like deciding which supermarket has the best deal for what you want-

Like 0      
30 Jan 2012 6:19 PM by mojito Star rating in Cupar Fife / San Jua.... 268 posts Send private message

Hi, I have subscribed to Skype and made calls to Spain from the UK with no problems on my smartphone.  But when I try to call from the local bars in Almeria back to the UK, the call is broken up and cuts out.  Maybe the signal isn't strong enough in the bars' wifi.  Anyone else had this problem?

Jo and Jim

Like 0      
30 Jan 2012 11:05 PM by neatrees Star rating in Vera Playa. 64 posts Send private message

Hi, I use Skype to Skype to speak to family and friends in South Africa and USA. Even when I am using the communtiy WiFi at my place in Spain. Sometimes using audio & video at the same time does put a strain on the WiFi but you always have a choice of audio only or realtime typing. 

I would recommend it but I would agree for you to shop around and find the best deal to suit you.

Like 0      
31 Jan 2012 8:56 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Skype was the first VIOP (voice over internet protocol)

It is not always the fgest.

Search on google for VOIP and then decide which is best for you. 

A bit like, all supermarkets have good offers but some offer what you want,   others don't !!!!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Nearest hospital please??? - 2 posts
yahoo mail problems - 3 posts
Some People - 1 posts
PLEASE HELP, WHAT FORM DO I NEED? - 2 posts
Transport to UK From Spain and Back from UK to Spain and Man with van - 1 posts
permission to move!! - 2 posts
Return of deposits from Aifos in 2003 - 33 posts
Car Rental Malaga Airport, Hire Full of Fuel, Return Full - 0 posts
where to hire cots and stair gate - 3 posts
unlimited wireless broadband - 18 posts
How To Save Money Traveling In Europe - 1 posts
Missing Person...My Husband. - 15 posts
RHD UK plates Ford Transit LWB - 0 posts
Statutes not registered.......... - 7 posts
A Long Let - 3 posts
Decisions, dicisions? - 3 posts
advice on rental contracts and use of avals - 0 posts
Looking for work in spain this summer - 5 posts
Mojon Hills, what's the forum view, good, great place to invest? - 7 posts
Hello - 2 posts
has anyone purchased at Lomas, Vera Playa, 2 bed 1 bath from €59k - 18 posts
removal of name on deeds on jointly owned house - 8 posts
10 Litre Double Electric Fryer For Sale 200Euros - 0 posts
8 pot Bain Marie and Meat carvery Unit for sale 850Euros - 2 posts
You could save up to 25% on you electricity Bill - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x