NIE Expiry date? (Non and Resident type)

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Jan 2012 12:00 AM by Susanspain Star rating in Mijas, Malaga. 145 posts Send private message

Susanspain´s avatar

My OH is about to become a resident as they have decided to move here full time.
They applied for an NIE (non-resident type) on a visit here back in 2003, but have never lived here full time before.

They have just been offered a job and the assesores/gestores that are doing the contract, said their NIE is ‘Out of date’ and it has to be renewed.

I understood that an NIE was for life???
OK, it has the address they were renting for a few weeks back in 2003 and that is out of date (their’s had an address on, oddly mine does not??? But perhaps that is because I applied for mine same time as residencia?)

Does anyone know the rules and requirements?

PS - As add on to this, our daughter came over and got an NIE recently (thankfully all done in just 4 days!)... as she is about to buy a house here.  Does this also mean her NIE will have to be renewed every 3 months!!! (I think the gestor has got their wires crossed.)  :( 

(I cannot see 1,000's of non-resident property owners queing to get their NIE renewed every time they visit!) ;)

Like 0      
18 Jan 2012 3:34 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Susan
                       the NIE does not expire.   When a person  from the EU comes to live in Spain they must register on the EU citizen’s register, in your case at Fuengirola National Police Station,  as an EU citizen. The Cert they get has same number  as the NIE they have always had, or if they did not have one the new number is their NIE and is the number shown on the cert.

A person who wants to make a financial transaction in Spain (buy a property etc) but who is not staying for 3 months or more, needs an NIE.

Like 0      
19 Jan 2012 10:34 AM by sallybooboo Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

As far as I know the number would stay the same no doubt but I know they changed to need photos...

Probably best to check with police station...

Like 0      
19 Jan 2012 10:45 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Sally,
                one of the differences between the old Residencia and the new Foreigners Registration Certificate, which for EU citizens has replaced it, is that the new document does not bear a photo. As too, the New Resident’s Cert does not have an expiry date, but if one already has an NIE,  when they apply for the new cert, then that same number will apply to the Resident Cert.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

mijas golf estate - 1 posts
Car hire at Faro. - 0 posts
Please contact - 1 posts
Urgent Appeal - 2 missing dogs - Rio Grande (Coin) - 2 posts
Lomas del Golf - 2 posts
La Portaria, El Mudamiento - 0 posts
Cutbacks by UK Town Halls & Councils - 1 posts
flights from alicante - 3 posts
Exporting a Spanish car. - 3 posts
Any information on Tormos and area ? - 0 posts
LHD Merceded 500 Sl sports in Marbella - 0 posts
Schooling in CBS - 2 posts
Bargain car for sale 695 euros, - 0 posts
Seeking long term rustic rental, AKA, 'the impossible' - 0 posts
Looking for English natives to spend some time together on holidays. Exchange English/Spanish/Basque - 2 posts
WANTED: Set of Golf Clubs - 1 posts
WANTED: Set of golf clubs - 0 posts
Fly BA from London to Malaga. Cheaper or what? - 2 posts
Abandoned Cars in Estepona - 2 posts
Car for sale - 2 posts
Journalist seeks information endesa etc. - 1 posts
Illegal community parking - 2 posts
Unanimous vote at AGM - 9 posts
Konustart-900 Telescope, tripod & accessories. S. Costa Blanca - 4 posts
TomTom ONE XL 22 countries (UK & Europe) - S. Costa Blanca - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x