Whats it like in CDS at the moment

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Jan 2012 12:00 AM by pintor Star rating. 16 posts Send private message

Just wondered with all this talk about recession and the state of the euro, has anyone noticed a downturn in conditions etc on the costa del sol recently?, is it still ok for holidays

Like 0      
07 Jan 2012 2:27 PM by leema Star rating in Washington Tyne & We.... 655 posts Send private message

Still a fab place for holidays, we go about five times a year and it just gets better.

Maureen & Dennis

Coto Real

Like 0      
07 Jan 2012 3:37 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Recession what recession - there was a 4km tailback going into the La Canada shoping centre in Marbella this morning for the winter sales.

Like 0      
07 Jan 2012 6:14 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Pintor

No change, except that more places seem to sell coffee at 1 euro now than they did a couple of months ago.

Like 0      
08 Jan 2012 12:07 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Hmmm, can't really agree with all the comments.

If you walk down the high street in Estepona there are many businesses that have closed down.

I went to buy some shoes in Sabinillas the other day and the owner told me he's barely covering his costs.  A local bar told me that may have to close within a couple of months if things don't pick up.

Then, all the lights on the main road are now off as no-one is paying the bills.  In Sabinillas there was only one "Feliz navidad" light and nothing else.

The effects are being felt by many and 2012 is going to be an unbelievably difficult year for many businesses.

On the other hand, we went to a venta in Castellar the other day for lunch and it was packed, people were even queuing.  There is money, it's just that people are choosing where and how to spend it more carefully than perhaps they used to in the past and probably why there were 4km of tailbacks of people trying to get to La Cañada for the sales today.

I'm not normally so negative but knowing so many people down here with businesses I can tell you that things are becoming very difficult for most.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
14 Jan 2012 11:18 AM by mishcom Star rating in Fuengirola. 6 posts Send private message

I tend to agree with EOS team, I am in Fuengirola and I visit the whole coast from Sotogrande to Nerja on a regular basis servicing businesses, from what I can see many businesses are sitting on the edge. Apart from the odd Sunday the streets are close to deserted in Fuengirola, Torremolinos and Marbella compaired to what they used to be like even at this time of the year, for someone to say 'there isn't much change' would make me think they only arrived here a year ago! 

I would think a lot of the people seen out at Spanish bars are generally 'funcionarios' as they are one of the few people who are still getting what could be classed as a reasonable wage at the moment, possibly more of the ones going a little up the ladder and above, everyone else has to work for a living! I did a job for one about 6 days ago and he seemed to have no shortage of money to pay for what he wanted done and he is what I would call a mid range fucionario.

Tail backs at las Canadas, There used to be tail backs most days 4 years ago, now it not so common so that alone shows that there are less people shopping there although this was Christmas time, a couple of years ago I would hessitate on 'not' going to Las Canadas because of the pain of a queue and getting a parking space while now it is not such an issue. :-)

This message was last edited by mishcom on 14/01/2012.

Like 0      
15 Jan 2012 5:10 PM by Bobi Star rating in La Alpujarra, Granad.... 14 posts Send private message

Bobi´s avatar

I think the question was 'is it still ok for holidays' and I think with all the 'Crisis Prices' the tourists can get a better deal that ever and if the excange rate is good, a good bargain holiday can be had here.  We need each and every one of you to come and enjoy spain

would anyone with a business here diagree?

Like 0      
15 Jan 2012 6:57 PM by manxmonkey Star rating in Channel Islands. 81 posts Send private message

manxmonkey´s avatar

"For a holiday"...yes it's still great.  One has to feel for the businesses though.  I had a "last supper" in a restaurant that has been busy and creating employment for years but closed just before Christmas- at this time of year there are just too few people and they are being far more careful with their money.

What this does mean is that if you want to drink beer that is cheaper than 2 or 3 years ago or buy a Versace jacket and take a €300 discount you can do so and still enjoy the Costa del Sol.  I had a fabulous meal in Benalmadena down on the front for €29 all in and it's quite possible to have good fixed price dinner menus from smaller restaurants for €10 and the best I saw was a 3 course Chinese meal for €7.95 and yes I did go in and it was very good!!!  Maybe this will start a competition as to the best value meal on the CdS or even in Spain?!  

I noticed car hire has become very competitive too, I have some deal with Europcar so always use them and find them excellent (OK |I'm just too lazy to try anyone else as Europcar have my details saved) but I think there are now some excellent deals for holidaymakers and some super long term rental deals available and if you add all this together it's no wonder that "off-season" is a great time for holidaying so why wait for the summer? 

Like 0      
15 Jan 2012 7:21 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 470 posts Send private message

SPAIN needs to wake up you have to WORK HARD to get peoples DOLLAR so to speak the NEW KIDS on the BLOCK over the last FEW YEARS have been snapping at SPAINs HEELS but no other country does HOLIDAYS as good as SPAIN

I see it RETURNING to the GOOD OLD DAYS a pint for 25p etc etc to SURVIVE

We are NEARLY full with bookings only TWO SUMMER weeks REMAIN and I expect that will go NEXT WEEK based on the enquiry LEVELS

COME ON SPAIN you are the DADDY show us WHAT youve GOT

Rod

ps Cant wait to visit CDS in late MARCH I am seriously MIISSING YOU

Like 0      
15 Jan 2012 8:54 PM by midasgold Star rating in Mijas.. 93 posts Send private message

Yes life is still good here on the CDS. To-day I was down the port in Fuengirola reading my Sunday Times in Happys Bar with a table next to the sea edge. The cost of my cafe cortado and large brandy ? One euro fifty cents ! - with the sun shining 18deg  c .It's a great life.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Options for: UK income, Spanish residency, US citizen - 0 posts
Packages Mijas - Hampshire: Carriers? - 0 posts
TRANSPORT TO MURCIA - 1 posts
Happy dia de los Reyes - 3 posts
Spanish Property Purchase last 2 Years - 3 posts
Sterling v Euro. - 17 posts
European banks and Spanish off plan disasters - 0 posts
hi friends - 0 posts
Hey everyone! - 6 posts
Medication prescriptions - 4 posts
Guardia civil complaints - 34 posts
Garnishm Bancaja bank charge. What is it? - 3 posts
need your help people - 2 posts
work - 4 posts
Skoda Fabia 1.9TDi Spanish LHD in UK - 2 posts
Car Rental from Malaga Airport - 6 posts
van hire alicanti airport - 0 posts
Mijas Golf Course - 6 posts
Holidays in Spanish family - 2 posts
Medical / Spanish Driving Licence? - 61 posts
Driving to Spain with a dog - 2 posts
Non Resident Bank Account - 4 posts
Corvera Airport latest - 0 posts
Licencia de obra - 10 posts
Driving from Torreivieja to Cork...... - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x