Expats to be 'rescued' from Spain and Portugal!!!!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Jan 2012 3:55 PM by rob0802 Star rating. 13 posts Send private message

I read recently in the financial part of a UK daily news paper that if Spain were to go back to the Euro that mortgage debt would be set no higher than the valuation at the time of the transfer from Euro to Pesata? That being there would not be any negative equity.

Regards,

Robert Morgan

Like 0      
07 Jan 2012 4:17 PM by DonLochnagar Star rating in Mazarron. 161 posts Send private message

Very interesting post Foxilady.  If Germany withdrew from the EU, what would the Euro be worth to the pound, 200?

Like 0      
07 Jan 2012 4:50 PM by Foxilady Star rating in surrey. 277 posts Send private message

Foxilady´s avatar

Hi Don highly unlikely, but i have seen a nice little mansion in Spain that we will be buying hahahahahaha

If I shine too brightly, then put your sunglasses on oy vey

Like 0      
07 Jan 2012 4:59 PM by DonLochnagar Star rating in Mazarron. 161 posts Send private message

If Germany withdrew Foxers, the Euro wouldn't be worth the paper it's printed on.  Glad I haven't completed yet!

Like 0      
07 Jan 2012 5:28 PM by Foxilady Star rating in surrey. 277 posts Send private message

Foxilady´s avatar

Exactly my point Don

If I shine too brightly, then put your sunglasses on oy vey

Like 0      
08 Jan 2012 1:09 PM by zastil Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

I hope the banks do go bust in Spain as do the law firms in the country. I had Santander Bank steal 10k euros and lawyers even more.

They should not even be in Europe as don't follow european law.

Wayne

This message was last edited by zastil on 08/01/2012.

Like 0      
08 Jan 2012 4:38 PM by davmunster Star rating in Carvajal\Belfast. 843 posts Send private message

davmunster´s avatar

Someone posted info on this a while ago but the list of prefixs\countries wasn't complete. Here is a full list for anyone wanting to get rid of the riskier notes.

Where do my euros come from? The code breaker

The 11 digit serial number on every note begins with a prefix which identifies which country issued it.

German notes begin with an X, Greek notes start with a Y, Spain's have a V, France a U, Ireland T, Portugal M and Italy S.

Belgium is Z, Cyprus G, Luxembourg 1, Malta F, Netherlands P, Austria N, Slovenia H, Slovakia E and Finland L.

David

Like 0      
25 Jan 2012 10:28 AM by Jimbofinn Star rating in Chiclana De La Front.... 224 posts Send private message

Jimbofinn´s avatar

Probably not the right place to put this link, but the headline does get a mention.  The link contains information on expats' views about living in Spain under the present circumstances etc. - a BBC east interview with Mazarron residents.

http://www.simplynetworking.es/news-10344-31-expat_interview_1_the_bbc_asks_how_the_crisis_is_affecting_expats_in_spain.html

Like 0      
25 Jan 2012 10:40 AM by Bri Star rating in North. 591 posts Send private message

First -if you cannot get the link to work by copying and pasting - just do a google search 'simply networking bbc interview expats' and it comes up.

Very interesting -  love it - not in the least bit surprised!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian

Like 0      
25 Jan 2012 11:03 AM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

After spending my first christmas in the UK for 8 years,i can say with great confidence that there is not room to repatriate anybody!!!

The country is bursting at the seams...you can drive through Spain and France on Beautiful new motorways reasonably traffic free.....you get to England and its shoulder to shoulder and the motorways are like dirt tracks in comparison.

I think many expats that talk of going back should compare the UK to childbirth.....after a while you forget how really bad it was to suffer the experience!

If they send a boat for me then it would get a big..."no thanks".

Like 0      
25 Jan 2012 11:03 AM by lostagain Star rating. 57 posts Send private message

just read the article you indicated jimbo

it would seem the panic was based more on brits stuck at home jealousy rather than any fear or real problems we have here in spain

as for me i hadnt even noticed there was any crisis here until i saw this thread

oh well now time to worry about where to go for my 1 eu ooooh so expensive coffee 

Like 0      
25 Jan 2012 11:16 AM by Scout Star rating. 39 posts Send private message

Scout´s avatar

I just read a post on here and tea came down my nose. Are people seriously suggesting that if Greece did exit the euro, the notes with that country´s prefix would suddenly be worthless? Would vending machines, car park meters, shopping trolleys all require immediate modernisation in case someone tried to use Greek euros?

The Greek notes and coins would simply remain in circulation. No new ones would be printed but the old ones wouldn´t suddenly become worthless overnight. That would be idiotic.

Like 0      
25 Jan 2012 12:13 PM by Bri Star rating in North. 591 posts Send private message

yes but that is not as disturbing as the predictions of riots and violence!!

Brian

Like 0      
25 Jan 2012 1:29 PM by D_B_S Star rating. 178 posts Send private message

Interesting reading the article.

Those interviewed and many of the comments tend to be from the mature members of the forum. It would be nice to hear from members who are making a new life in Spain who have to work and who may have children to support. What are their thoughts on the matter?

Employment opportunities or rather the lack of them seems to be more of a reason for people to be 'rescued' from Iberia. Youngsters bring life and vitality to communities and I think the current situation will bring more ghost communities or emphasis the 'God's Waiting Room' feel many communities already have.

David

Like 0      
25 Jan 2012 1:41 PM by wizzard2 Star rating in Costa Blanca. 32 posts Send private message

In reply to Scout,I think what was meant was not that the greek Euro would be worthless,more that the Greek Euro would be in fact worth less,as it would almost certain that Greece would change currencies and that would be worth less than the current Greek Euro,so if you held Greek Euros you would get less of the new devalued Greek coinage

Personally I dont think the Greek people would worry one iota that people operating coin taking machines would be financially worse off until they updated their machines

Like 0      
25 Jan 2012 1:54 PM by lostagain Star rating. 57 posts Send private message

the greek euro would be worth exactly the same as any other. so cash in hand good money in bank bad woulod be changed into any new greek currency which would be devalued so you would get more.

but if you dont live in greece with greek income why worry about it?

Like 0      
25 Jan 2012 2:47 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

For those with families and needing to earn a living here it is still very tough.  Most expat businesses have typically depended on the expat market but today those people are spending less money, as they generally have less to spend.

Those businesses which have also appealed to the Spanish have faired better but even Spanish businesses are closing down.

The majority of expats here on the Costa del Sol, close to Gibraltar, have been saved by the huge amount of jobs created in the online gambling companies on the rock.  Without the big rock, many would no longer be here.

You only have to look in the local newspaper to see that unless you work in the "adult entertainment" industry or are a really good sales person, then there are practically no jobs.

And let's not forget that actually being paid here is a bonus and a typical salary is €1000 per month net!

In general, for those with families that need to work, it's tougher than ever.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
25 Jan 2012 3:03 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 469 posts Send private message

A client of mine e mailed me yesterday and he SAID he had been re-employed as a PROPERTY ADVISER after some 4 years of been unable to find a DECENT job in REAL ESTATE apparemtly a real upturn has been seen in RECENT months and VIVA recorded the HIGHEST number of sales for quite some years on the COSTA DEL SOL

However its the 100% deals bank owned properties going FIRSTLY he emphasised

ITS genarrally known that REAL ESTATE tends to be the first to benefit from an upturn

so FINGERS CROSSED

Rod

Like 0      
25 Jan 2012 3:39 PM by zastil Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Having lived in Spain for 7 year now back in the UK. I saw this coming main reason I left. The Lawyers are corrupt and the banks are just stealing overseas funds.

www.cheapropertyspain.net

This message was last edited by zastil on 25/01/2012.

Like 0      
25 Jan 2012 3:49 PM by Scout Star rating. 39 posts Send private message

Scout´s avatar

Sorry Wizard 2 - I´m genuinely not following the thinking. Are you saying Greek euros would be worth less than other euros, is that what you are trying to say? So we´d have to examine each coin and note for serial numbers or clues to where it was minted?

As the coins / notes have no intrinsic value themselves i.e aren´t convertible to gold, would it not make sense just to leave them in circulation? 

If the Greeks decide to return to the Drachma, why is that going to have any effect on me using a 20€ note with a "Y" prefix in my local supermarket? Answer of course is that it wouldn´t.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Happy Christmas, good luck and a prosperous New Year to everyone. - 0 posts
Obligation to purchase share in Cajamar Bank - 6 posts
Generic Bank guarantes-new buyers - 1 posts
Happy Christmas and New Year to everyone - 8 posts
Severe weather warnings in Spain - 0 posts
Butane gas - 14 posts
Morrisons Gibraltar - 2 posts
Electricity Prices Going up 25%?? - 1 posts
volantery contributions needed for the repair of the road at Camino Nicola Estepona - 0 posts
Marble crystalliser? - 2 posts
blue paraffin - 3 posts
Euro VS Sterling - 39 posts
Just moved to Puerto de Mazarron, Murcia - 2 posts
Hi, Im looking for yoga/meditation in Costa del Sol. - 1 posts
mortgage applied for - 5 posts
Sourcing stuff... a source of frustration! - 9 posts
Valor Catastral revalue in Marbella 2011 / 2012 - 4 posts
POLICE WARNING - 5 posts
paraja de hecho - 2 posts
Turkey for christamas - 5 posts
HELPING ALL THE DOGS & CATS ABANDONED OR IN THE REFUGES - 2 posts
Help Wanted - Car Hire Malaga Airport - 1 posts
Solbank website - is it down ? - 9 posts
Short notice for first AGM - 8 posts
Save 10% on Ferry Crossings. - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 188

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x