Butane gas

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Dec 2011 12:00 AM by intier Star rating. 18 posts Send private message

Just brought a gas fire went to get bottle of gas and was turned away because i need exchange bottle, how does this work in spain, what do i need to do now apart from selling the new gas fire ive just brought.

Like 0      
16 Dec 2011 12:05 AM by Chris&Julie Star rating in Dublin . 82 posts Send private message

Chris&Julie´s avatar

Hi Intier

We have two of these gas heaters and on two occasions we just pulled up at the petrol station on the motorway close to our urb and bought bottles with no emptys. We did pay extra because of this but from then on its just basic price for empty/full swap. Try your local petrol station.

Hope this helps.

Julie

Like 0      
16 Dec 2011 1:36 AM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 688 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi - in theory you are supposed to fill in a form to apply for a gas bottle but in practice you just need to find a petrol station where you can buy a new one.

I'm not sure of the system with the form, as I just kept trying petrol stations till I got one without any paperwork.

Apparently the system is intended to stop terrorists buying gas bottles to make bombs with - but this is Spain so there is always another way!

Like 0      
16 Dec 2011 4:12 AM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

We bought a secondhand gas fire that a friend was selling it had the gas bottle already in it!.  So when the gas man comes round in the village we just exchange it.  We do not have this contract you are supposed to have and he never asked for it!!!!!  I believe some super markets sell them as well!!! 

Patrcia 

This message was last edited by pat and roy on 16/12/2011.

Like 0      
16 Dec 2011 8:57 AM by gcarton Star rating. 144 posts Send private message

When we bought our gas fire last year, we were told by our hardware store that if we wanted Repsol, the fire would need to be inspected and then a bottle could be purchased. In the case of CEPSA gas, an inspection is not required. Our hardware store sells both.

Guy

Like 0      
16 Dec 2011 10:18 AM by Jimbofinn Star rating in Chiclana De La Front.... 224 posts Send private message

Jimbofinn´s avatar

In theory you need a contract as already stated.  I believe that the contract is also some form of insurance should things go awry.  I think you will also find that in the event of this sort of thing happening, and your household insurance company reveals that you have no contract, then they are likely to refuse any payout.  Gas equipment is also meant to be inspected every 5 years to keep this "insurance" up to date, but beware there are some scoundrels out there that will try to rip you off as has happenedf to people we know.  If you tried to purchase a gas container in the uk you would also have to sign a contract so there is really no difference.  Once paperwork is done here in Spain (and it is done by the supplier of the gas/fire) all you need to do is sign and then take you gas home.  It really is that simple.  Why take risks for something that costs nothing other than your signature.

Like 0      
16 Dec 2011 10:21 AM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

We had a gas boiler installed and the system was inspected and certified at a cost of around 80Euros. Certificate lasts 5 years. However, the bottles were expensive. Went to a local auction selling bits and pieces and picked up an orange one for 6 euros and silver for around 12 Euros. Orange ones are much heavier. Hope this helps.

Like 0      
16 Dec 2011 1:43 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

This is a letter I wrote recently to a newspaper:- 

RE: Gas Inspectors:-  

Some years ago I called the police to ‘gas inspectors’ who called at my house without an appointment to ‘inspect’ my gas appliances.  

I had asked for and seen what appeared to be a genuine authorisation for them to do the work, although they were not from Repsol.

One of them, when examining the gas containers, had turned his back on me in a ‘strange way’ so I could not see his hands.  He ‘found’ a small cut, in a rubber tube which I had renew a few days before.  I asked him to show me what was in his closed hand.  He refused.  It was obvious that he had a small blade and had cut the tube.

When the police arrived, they confirmed the men were authorised as they worked for a genuine company, but said they could charge what they liked, it was up to the householder to decide whether or not to accept their services.  There is no ‘controlled price’ for such work.  (Rather like a restaurant choosing to charge outrageous prices; it being up to the customer to use the establishment or not).

Subsequently when ‘inspectors’ have called,  I have politely refused them access to my house and have told them to go away.  Problem solved!

(No inspector, even from the gas company with which I have a contract, has that right)

John C

Like 0      
17 Dec 2011 3:39 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 688 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi again - I bought my portable gas fire last year and was not asked to fill in any paperwork by the shop.  As I said before, I got my first gas bottle from a garage who did not ask for a contract and have been getting it refilled ever since without any problem.

I bought a refill yesterday and asked the attendant at the Repsol garage if there was any need for a contract, as I didn't have one, and he said no.

Confusing, isn't it!

Like 0      
17 Dec 2011 4:10 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Claire,

Buying a gas appliance is not a probelm as the appliance is, in itself, no way dangerous.

If you had gone to Repsol to buy a bottle/s then you would have needed a contract.

How you were able to buy a bottle from an authorised dealer, without a contact,   I don’t know as I have never known anyone who was able to do so.

Normally one can only buy if they return an empty bottle.  In that case you do not need a contract (there and then) as they will understand that as you have an empty bottle you must have a contract. Hence the man at toe garage to whom you referred..

Most people who either don’t have a contract or want more bottles will often buy them from a friend or at a boot fair.

I believe that if you don’t have a contact then you may not be covered by your insurance if it were involved in a claim.

Like 0      
18 Dec 2011 10:18 AM by intier Star rating. 18 posts Send private message

Thanks for the info, yes i have been to 4 diferent garages and all will not give full bottle even if i want to pay the extar amount, were do you get the contract from, would it be the garages as they just keep waving me away.

Like 0      
18 Dec 2011 10:27 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Intier-

This may be helpful:-

http://www.andalucia.com/living/utilities-gas-butano.htm

Like 0      
18 Dec 2011 2:39 PM by D_B_S Star rating. 178 posts Send private message

Why not update your Summer Air Con to reverse cycle - warm in winter cool in Summer.

Then no more messing with gas and you are living in a safer home with none of the moisture generated by the gas heater.

David

Like 0      
18 Dec 2011 3:43 PM by Jimbofinn Star rating in Chiclana De La Front.... 224 posts Send private message

Jimbofinn´s avatar

Go to your nearest butane gas / heater shop.  Ask for a "contrato nuevo" (new contract) the dealer should then do the paperwork and then you should be able to walk away with your gas bottle.  From then on you can exchange the bottle at  any dealership that handles that particular gas supplier - e.g repsol/cepsa.

Like 0      
18 Dec 2011 3:59 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I just read this on the internet:-    (I cannot confirm it )  :-.

Be careful when you apply for a contract. For insurance purposes it will be necessary for the supplier to visit your premises in order to ascertain that the equipment you intend to use is safe. There is no charge for this inspection, being a requirement under law as well as a requirement of the insurance companies.

Notwithstanding this, It is quite common for employees of either of the gas companies to submit an account and ask for money either for the inspection or as premium for a non-existent insurance. €30 is common. Don't pay it. There may be a charge in some parts of Spain for the initial visit to check that everything is OK but should this be the case it will be made clear prior to the visit and well supported with the appropriate official documentation. Further, an official receipt will be issued which can be verified. Despite these regular attempts at fraud, no one seems to be brought to task and the same employees wend their way around the new customers.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Morrisons Gibraltar - 2 posts
Electricity Prices Going up 25%?? - 1 posts
volantery contributions needed for the repair of the road at Camino Nicola Estepona - 0 posts
Marble crystalliser? - 2 posts
blue paraffin - 3 posts
Euro VS Sterling - 39 posts
Just moved to Puerto de Mazarron, Murcia - 2 posts
Hi, Im looking for yoga/meditation in Costa del Sol. - 1 posts
mortgage applied for - 5 posts
Sourcing stuff... a source of frustration! - 9 posts
Valor Catastral revalue in Marbella 2011 / 2012 - 4 posts
POLICE WARNING - 5 posts
paraja de hecho - 2 posts
Turkey for christamas - 5 posts
HELPING ALL THE DOGS & CATS ABANDONED OR IN THE REFUGES - 2 posts
Help Wanted - Car Hire Malaga Airport - 1 posts
Solbank website - is it down ? - 9 posts
Short notice for first AGM - 8 posts
Save 10% on Ferry Crossings. - 1 posts
Parra Mellado and FLO - 1 posts
RECOMMENDATION FOR LAWYERS NEAR FORMENTERA DEL SEGURA - 0 posts
Mac help - 12 posts
Bike shop Fuengirola/La Cala - 1 posts
RYAN STRIKE AGAIN - 1 posts
Settle an argument - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 15

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x