Spare a thought for Michael O'Leary, Chief Executive of 'Ryanair'

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Dec 2011 8:05 PM by MetGB Star rating. 52 posts Send private message

He IS  strange businessman!   In 2 words brainless megalomaniac!

Like 0      
18 Dec 2011 8:23 PM by marlowjen Star rating. 72 posts Send private message

Oh dear, can we not end this boring conversation as I was only passing on info that Ryanair flew from Seville to the UK!!
If people do not like Ryanair, why fly with them? The choice is yours. Quite simple.

Like 0      
18 Dec 2011 9:38 PM by Acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Not vaguely that simple Marlowjen !!!  

He gains market share by silly prices, then when the professional airlines have moved elsewhere he increases his prices &/or demands subsidies from the country involved.  If in the latter situation they decline to be blackmailed he finds spurious reasons to be difficult.

...if you find this thread boring don't read it...the choice is yours...quite simple.

Like 0      
18 Dec 2011 10:16 PM by Foxilady Star rating in surrey. 277 posts Send private message

Foxilady´s avatar

Hear hear Acer, couldn't have said it better myself.

If I shine too brightly, then put your sunglasses on oy vey

Like 0      
19 Dec 2011 8:07 AM by PablodeRonda Star rating in Ronda (Málaga). 76 posts Send private message

Foxbat - Ryanair uses airbridges at Malaga.

Marlowjen - People like me who don't like Ryanair fly with them because they are usually considerably cheaper than other airlines, as I already explained. Pure pragmatism.

Acer - I agree he could pass the charge on. 50 cents is neither here nor there. But I understood O'Leary's objection to using airbridges was because they increase turnaround times, because passengers can only disembark and embark through one door.

Like 0      
22 Dec 2011 12:27 PM by Acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Hi PablodeRonda,

You could be right.

I thought you might like to see this article which was received under the heading "The Airline that likes to say "No"

It will come as no surprise to those who have been following the story, believing that there is actually another, hidden reason why Ryanair have withdrawn from Alicante airport, but despite a major compromise by the Spanish airport authority AENA, Ryanair are still not prepared to even begin to move on their stance that they will only return to Alicante if they, and they are the only airline with this position, are allowed to use steps to board and disembark the aircraft and allow passenger to wander freely to the terminal building.
On Tuesday of this week, AENA made what many consider to be a momentous gesture, in that they presented a proposal to Ryanair that they can use stairs to board and disembark, as per their insistence, but the airport would convey the passengers to the terminal building by bus, thus removing any risks associated with walking around the airport.

This was a major step forward, but Ryanair have refused to accept it and have issued a statement via a Public Relations company in Dublin, which states, “AENA Alicante’s suggestion that Ryanair passengers will now be allowed to use buses at Alicante is an admission that there is no truth or substance to their safety/security claims, as passengers board buses using exactly the same non airbridge gates as walk on/walk off boarding passengers use.”

They have also provided photographs which show the routes that passengers will be expected to take and, in their opinion, proven that the airport authority are making a false sense about safety.

One issue immediately sprang to mind when the pictures were presented, in that as a frequent user of Alicante airport, albeit mostly using covered walkways, I have personally been transferred to an aircraft by bus on a few occasions. Although I may not be privileged to the information relating to the route that passengers will walk on their journey to the new terminal building, I do know that the claims by Ryanair do not remotely reflect the few experiences that I myself have. On every occasion I have had to use a bus in frequent years, which probably amounts to about 4 occasions in the last five years or so, the bus has collected me and returned me to a secure doorway at the bottom of a stairway. Only when the bus was in position would the doors be opened and my walking route was around 5 to 10 metres from the stairwell door to the bus, a similar distance once the bus has delivered me to the aircraft far away from the terminal building.

It is also interesting to note that this statement came from a PR Agency, rather than their own news feeds which are currently far too busy criticizing the UK Department of Transport, the sale of Stansted whilst all the time telling us we can protect our gadgets from damage on board their flights by purchasing yet another add-on product.

None the less, the statement went on to say “Ryanair has requested a meeting with the Alicante Routes Committee to explain that there is no truth in Alicante’s safety/security claims and to assure the Committee that Ryanair’s 2012 route, traffic and job cuts at Alicante can and will be reversed when Ryanair is allowed to revert to walk on/walk off on boarding all its flights as we did in Alicante from 2007 to March 2011 and as Ryanair does at most other Spanish and EU airports.”

No doubt the story will continue to develop and no doubt there will still be refusal after refusal from this airline, whilst others are increasing their routes to Alicante and taking advantage of the services and facilities offered. EasyJet for example have increased their flights to Alicante and are more than happy with their operating procedures, which has also lessened the blow that Ryanair threatened in terms of withdrawal from the airport. In fact, many of the professional bodies who were in support of Ryanair originally are now changing their opinion. From members of the tourism sector to members of the business community, most are now seeing that Ryanair are not the only pawn in this game and other airlines are more than happy to play along.

In the meantime, pending yet another meeting, Ryanair will still continue to stand in their corner whilst the world around them adapts to positive change and acceptance that the passenger comes first, not only in safety, but also in comfort and we can long for the day that Ryanair might say ‘YES’.

But surely RyanAir's actions are really discriminatory - using the steps as they want makes boarding the aircraft a lot more difficult for those who have any disability.  The risk of falling down the steps as you clutch your bag will be a concern for older and those who are not so steady on their feet - is this part of RyanAir's thinking and procrastination ?

Like 0      
22 Dec 2011 1:23 PM by PablodeRonda Star rating in Ronda (Málaga). 76 posts Send private message

Super stuff, Acer! Thanks for that information and your thoughts. I hope AENA Alicante hold out, that Ryanair remain withdrawn and that other airlines like easyJet fill the gaps on what must surely be a lucrative route.

Like 0      
23 Dec 2011 7:45 AM by WatchManager Star rating. 25 posts Send private message

As you know, I've stood up for Ryanair on this site as I didn't like the reasons the airport were giving to enforce the air bridges and passing the cost on to the airline.

Having said that, the article  'Acer' has just submitted has totally changed my mind. I now feel that the airport has really pulled out all the stops on their compromise. I see no reason on this earth why buses would not be acceptable to Ryanair as they are at other airports.

Message for Ryanair: "Wind your neck in" and if you readily accept buses in other airports then you can't use the argument  that other airports allow 'walk on' so why don't alicante! It's one and the same argument!

Alicante have made the ultimate climbdown to you and have lost face, you should snap their hand off or explain to your investors why you are losing them millions.

Like 0      
23 Dec 2011 11:47 AM by PablodeRonda Star rating in Ronda (Málaga). 76 posts Send private message

WM, I'm glad you're beginning to see through O'Leary. I assume he doesn't want to use the buses because Alicante airport will charge for them too! That's what the whole argument is about - he wants to pay as little as possible. One wonders whether he plans a confrontation with Malaga and other airports too.

Like 0      
23 Dec 2011 1:50 PM by derek55 Star rating in Carsares Costa---Bir.... 51 posts Send private message

On the lighter side

Spare a thought for Michael O’Leary, Chief Executive of 'Ryanair'.......

Arriving in a hotel in Dublin, he went to the bar and asked for a pint of 
draught Guinness. The barman nodded and said, "That will be one Euro 
please, Mr O’Leary."

Somewhat taken aback, O'Leary replied, "That's very cheap," and handed over 
his money.

"Well, we try to stay ahead of the competition", said the barman.

"And we are serving free pints every Wednesday evening 
from 6 until 8. We have the cheapest beer in Ireland."

"That is remarkable value" Michael comments.
"I see you don't seem to have a glass, so you'll probably need one of ours. 
That will be 3 euro please."

O'Leary scowled, but paid up. He took his drink and walked towards a seat.

"Ah, you want to sit down?" said the barman. "That'll be an extra 2 euros. 
You could have pre-book the seat, and it would have only cost you a Euro."

"I think you may to be too big for the seat sir, can I ask you to sit in this 
frame please."

Michael attempts to sit down but the frame is too small and when he
can't squeeze in he complains "Nobody would fit in that little frame".

"I'm afraid if you can't fit in the frame you'll have to pay an extra 
surcharge of €4 for your seat sir"

O'Leary swore to himself, but paid up.
"I see that you have brought your laptop with you" added the barman. "And since that wasn't pre-booked either, that will be another 3 euro."

O'Leary was so annoyed that he walked back to the bar, slammed his drink on 
the counter, and yelled, "This is ridiculous, I want to speak to the manager".

"Ah, I see you want to use the counter," says the barman, "that will 
be 2 euro please." O'Leary's face was red with rage. 

"Do you know who I am?"

"Of course I do Mr O'Leary,"

"I've had enough, What sort of Hotel is this? I come in for a quiet drink 
and you treat me like this. I insist on speaking to a manager!"

"Here is his email address, or if you wish, you can contact him between 9 and 9.10 every morning, Monday to Tuesday at this free phone number. Calls are free, until they are answered, then there is a talking charge of only 10
cent per second"

"I will never use this bar again"

"OK sir, but remember, we are the only hotel in Ireland selling pints for one Euro".

Like 0      
23 Dec 2011 2:05 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Derek, you've just posted the joke that started this thread

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
23 Dec 2011 2:14 PM by derek55 Star rating in Carsares Costa---Bir.... 51 posts Send private message

I'll read all the thread next time

Like 0      
23 Dec 2011 2:19 PM by derek55 Star rating in Carsares Costa---Bir.... 51 posts Send private message

Justin

It will be interesting to see the new ways of making you  pay extra Ryanair will come with , given what the govenment announcment today about credit card charges

Like 0      
23 Dec 2011 3:34 PM by PablodeRonda Star rating in Ronda (Málaga). 76 posts Send private message

Derek - do you have a link for that announcement, please?

Like 0      
23 Dec 2011 3:49 PM by Foxilady Star rating in surrey. 277 posts Send private message

Foxilady´s avatar

He's already announced that the extras ie surchage will continue and this will be called admin costs!  Let's see if this is challenged.  As we all know company practice is to include any admin costs in the total price, but not Mr O Weary!  He thinks he's different.

Like 0      
23 Dec 2011 3:57 PM by Foxilady Star rating in surrey. 277 posts Send private message

Foxilady´s avatar

Further fyi from the Guardian a couple of hours ago

"Ryanair has defied the government's move to ban surcharges on payments to airlines and other firms by saying it does not charge its passengers any credit or debit card fees.

Airlines, cinemas and holiday firms will be stopped from imposing millions of pounds in "hidden last-minute" charges on internet bookings. Treasury minister Mark Hoban said the government is prepared to legislate to prevent airlines and other businesses from imposing hefty charges on credit and debit card bookings that are difficult to detect.

However, the budget airline said in a statement: "Ryanair, the UK's favourite airline, today confirms that it does not does not impose any debit or credit card fees."

Ryanair claims instead to charge an "admin fee" per passenger per one-way flight. This £6 charge is levied when a passenger comes to pay and can only be avoided by using the airline's own prepaid Mastercard. It states on its website that this charge "relates to costs associated with Ryanair's booking system."

The charge means that, for example, a group of 14 people travelling together would pay £168 extra for their flights, despite the fact that only one payment is processed for the entire group.

John Holmes, principal economist at Which?, who helped compile a report into excessive card charges which formed the basis of a supercomplaint to the Office of Fair Trading earlier this year, said the Ryanair reaction was typical of the airline and would be dismissed by the government.

"The only time the airline charges that £6 admin fee is when a passenger presents a payment method to the airline," he said. "The principle of this government legislation is about those charges that are practically unavoidable. You cannot avoid paying for a flight so you cannot avoid the charge."

Which? says an airline incurs costs of between 8p-20p on debit card transactions. Those rise to between 0.88% and 1.8% of the transaction for payments by credit card. It means a passenger paying the average return fare of £136.09 should pay a minimum of £1.20 and a maximum of £2.45 for a credit card booking.

In June 2011 the OFT called on the government to ban debit card surcharges, but said companies could still impose credit card transaction fees as they are more costly to process, provided they meet minimum transparency requirements.

However, the Treasury has taken this a step further and decided to ban "excessive surcharges" on credit and debit cards by most "retail sectors". Ministers could have opened themselves up to a judicial review if they had just targeted airlines. The ban is to be imposed from the end of 2012.

The ruling will put the UK ahead of many other EU countries, all of which would have to ban the same fees from 2014 under the Consumer Rights Directive.

However, it does not stop retailers imposing other charges. Ryanair charges 15 different types of fee, including those for reserved seating, priority boarding and reissuing airport boarding cards, while ticketing agency Ticketmaster charges a service charge and order processing fee for tickets to sporting events and concerts.

Government agencies, including the DVLA, will be allowed to continue charging card fees. The DVLA has a £2.50 credit card charge for anyone renewing their tax disc.

"This ruling is trying to tackle excessive surcharges. My understanding is that the DVLA charge only covers costs," a Treasury spokesman said.

Mark Hoban added: "We want consumers to be able to shop around. They have a right to understand the charges they may incur up front and not be hit through a hidden last-minute payment surcharge.

"We are leading the way in Europe by stopping this practice. The government remains committed to helping consumers get a good deal in these difficult times."

Which? executive director Richard Lloyd said: "The government's decision to ban 'rip-off' debit and credit card surcharges is a huge victory for consumers. Given that airline passengers alone pay more than £265,000 a day in card surcharges, businesses shouldn't drag their feet over this. While the law will come into force at the end of 2012, we want companies to be upfront and fair over card charges today."

Melanie Johnson, chair of The UK Cards Association, the service company for the UK payments industry, said: "This is a terrific Christmas gift for consumers. The UK Cards Association fully supported Which? and the OFT on this issue and we are delighted the Treasury has decided to bring into line those few businesses who continue excessively charging us all for using our cards.

"The charges in no way reflect the true costs of processing the transaction, are rarely up front, and could not be justified". "

Like 0      
23 Dec 2011 4:31 PM by PablodeRonda Star rating in Ronda (Málaga). 76 posts Send private message

Thanks, Foxilady.

He's as cunning as a fox, isn't he! Isn't it amazing that Ryanair levies 15 different types of fee in addition to the cost of the flight?

I wonder why there's been no reaction from other budget airlines...

Like 0      
23 Dec 2011 4:59 PM by Foxilady Star rating in surrey. 277 posts Send private message

Foxilady´s avatar

I know Pablo, absolutely incredible.  And what people don't realise is this, in their quest for cheap flights they often don't think that once he has the market to himself, Rudeair prices will skyrocket.  So saving money today with them means he will eventually divest you of much more money.  And of course lower quality service, if that's at all possible lol.

Like 0      
23 Dec 2011 5:05 PM by PablodeRonda Star rating in Ronda (Málaga). 76 posts Send private message

Nah! O'Leary's starting to shoot himself in the foot (look at the Alicante debacle), which means that the other budget airlines will go from strength to strength taking over his routes. easyJet is healthy, although BA's pending purchase of BmiBaby from Lufthansa may mean we lose another low-cost carrier.

If at some point in the future I can't afford to fly, I'll stop. There's plenty to do and see here in Spain and Portugal and across the water in North Africa.

Like 0      
23 Dec 2011 5:09 PM by Foxilady Star rating in surrey. 277 posts Send private message

Foxilady´s avatar

One can only hope he is doing just that.  I hope he shoots himself in both feet, he's a bully plain and simple. 

We are visiting Almeria 2nd Feb and flying with Monarch which is a fair price and we're happy with that.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Cajasol BIC - 5 posts
BARGAIN!!!!!! TOYOTA RAV4 2005.... NEED TO SELL!!!! - 2 posts
Greater flexibility in the processing of foreigners in Spain - 0 posts
Roda Golf - Furniture for Sale - 2 posts
I'm worried for Spain - 84 posts
Don Lochnagar - 3 posts
AND YET ANOTHER MAGNIFICENT VICTORY FOR COSTALUZ !!!! - 3 posts
Apple i Phone4 32GB model a1332-San Roque 300euros ono - 0 posts
My Partner has a foreclosure notice on a property in Spain. She lives in the UK - 25 posts
Wanted unfurnished long term rental - 0 posts
Iceland near San Javier - 4 posts
Heating allowance for OAPs in Spain - 22 posts
Social Security Card? - 5 posts
Available Cleaner/Key holder - 2 posts
Internet connection - 10 posts
H, im moving to spain in new year... - 8 posts
Removal from Spain to UK - 4 posts
Survival of the Fitest ? - 5 posts
The name 'Omeia' - 1 posts
COSTALUZ LAWYERS TRIUMPH AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!! - 6 posts
iBI - 4 posts
Problems connecting freesat - 1 posts
Unpaid car tax - 3 posts
form 210 ------ No Stickers - 0 posts
SCAM! BUT BY WHO? - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 72

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x