The Rental Scammers are Back Beware

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Nov 2011 12:00 AM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

Please be careful as we enter the peak holiday booking the rental scammers are back where they exploit the time that it typically takes to clear a cheque

Because I manage a number of properties over multiple sites this individual stupidly tried to make multiple bookings with me plus another site picked them and issues a warning

They make an enquiry on a property and, agree the rental and then ask to pay by cheque, normally wanting to pay on a long term for the whole year, or on the holiday including all charges

The scammers then send a cheque for the item. However, the cheque is for substantially more than the specified amount.

The scammers invent some excuse for this overpayment and ask that the balance be electronically transferred to a specified bank account..

The seller dutifully transfers the amount out of his or her own funds.

Later, the seller finds that his or her bank has dishonoured the cheque. In some cases, the bank may actually have cleared the funds, but discovers later that the check is a forgery or was stolen.

Please watch out for this type of scam and always insist on photo ID and proof of address when taking a booking

Like 0      
26 Nov 2011 12:58 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 689 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Thanks for the warning Roy.  I have heard of this one as a friend sold a motor bike in the UK and they used the too-large cheque to pay for it, followed by a request for a refund of the balance.  I hadn't heard of it being used for rentals, but I think you need to have your wits about you when dealing with any payments or transactions these days.

As an estate agent, I get lots of Nigerian scam emails offering to buy our most expensive properties, if we will only help them get their illegal funds out of some African / Arab country. 

Like 0      
26 Nov 2011 1:42 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

I did write back to this character with a dear friend mail, explaining that because of a change in my personal circumstances, due to the tragic death of my 2 pet goldfish Pinky & Perky, in a drowning incident, that I needed to dispose of some assets, my shares in a Nigerian Jam mine going at a great price

Also that I needed to urgently move some funds and was willing to pay him €10 million to help if he would send me his bank details, credit card number, Pin, CVV, mothers maiden name and inside leg measurement

Funny no response even though I could see by a read receipt thet he had read the mail

Looks like I will have to carry on in my legal employment for another year

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Travel agent's licence IC - 0 posts
Using ducted aircon to heat the house - 16 posts
MARIANO RAJOY - PROPOSALS FOR CHANGE - 7 posts
TARIFA - 0 posts
GRAZALEMA - 0 posts
Who wants to come here? - 4 posts
Electric and Water contacts in old name - 13 posts
Handsome Bailey - 1 posts
Plant a tree this Saturday at The People’s Forest in Marbella - 0 posts
portillo kiosk in san pedro - 0 posts
advice needed - 5 posts
Late payment of IBI - 9 posts
Looking for work - 3 posts
Help with Tax/Vat - 2 posts
Van going to England - 0 posts
Curry night with accommodation. - 1 posts
What is legal regarding UK cars and businesses - 2 posts
What is legal regarding UK cars - 2 posts
Hours Per Day?? - 1 posts
Help Needed - 8 posts
Spain is culture - 0 posts
No trial - 0 posts
MODBALL RALLY EUROPE 2012: LONDON-PARIS-ST TROPEZ-VALENCIA-BARCELONA-EIVISSA! - 0 posts
Here We Go! Another Spanish Bank falls Victim to the Property Crash - 0 posts
not too cold, not too hot... any advice - 63 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x