end of season on costa blanca

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Nov 2011 12:00 AM by pearllinda Star rating in javea. 19 posts Send private message

pearllinda´s avatar

Hi I'm Pearl,

I have rental villas here in Javea & Moraira. End of season, POR FIN !!! Have had a great summer, and  with lots of bookings for next year already I am feeling lucky.

Off to England next week for an extended winter stay visiting friends and family. I love having the change of scenery (and pace) and spend hours doggie walking in the woods near the cottage where I stay until February.

In December I will be taking my grandson to Canada to visit my sister and her family for a week, and we are hoping for snow !

Like 0      
19 Nov 2011 4:37 PM by meggie Star rating in England. 114 posts Send private message

Hi Pearl...

I thought it was strange, at first, when I head of people returning to the UK for the winter months as it had always been our intention to spend the coldest UK months in Spain, thinking it would be much warmer there and we would save on heating costs. Wrong!  We spent 5 months just inland from the Costa Blanca coast a coouple of winters ago and we were freezing for several weeks from the end of december until March. Yes, it was warmer outside in the sunshine in Spain than it was in the UK at that time, but the lack of insulation in the villa we stayed in meant we had to buy gas to keep the place warm and put up curtains at the bottom of the stairs to stop all the heat disappearing upwards!  (the open-plan lounge with stairs leading off) I can now totally understand why some people go back to the UK in the winter months where they can be cozy in a centrally-heated place, and then return to Spain in the spring when the weather starts to warm up.  This is what we did last winter and will do again this winter.

Enjoy your walks with the dog!

Mags

Mag

Like 0      
19 Nov 2011 4:53 PM by pearllinda Star rating in javea. 19 posts Send private message

pearllinda´s avatar

Hi Meggie,

thats so funny, and so true!  

My work keeps me here all summer really (apart from that I love summers in Spain) but because of the joys of internet I can take bookings wherever I am in the world so take advantage of having no guests to get back to UK for a bit in the winter. 

I have just started with forums and blogging, all a bit of a mystery until now but I think it must help and will be fun anyway.

What are you doing in Spain then?

Like 0      
20 Nov 2011 6:33 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Yes, I cringe when people say they want to move to Spain for some winter sun.

Yes, it's nice outside in the winter when the sun is shining but inside most homes it's bloody freezing.

We've got our fire roaring away at the moment, without it we'd all be sat round the TV like eskimos!

Brrrrrr

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
20 Nov 2011 9:12 PM by meggie Star rating in England. 114 posts Send private message

Pearl..

We are not in Spain at the moment as we are having to move my mother into a bungalow next week.  Having to stay here in the UK when we would have been in Spain has made us rethink what we want to do.  We never want to relive the experience of a freezing winter villa in Spain again....and it is ever so cozy in the 2-bed coach house we moved into a few weeks ago here in Lincolnshire (after getting the offspring off our hands at last and downsizing)! 

I reckon we'll get back to Spain in the spring, spend summer in the UK, the autumn in Spain, then back to the UK for the winter. The only way to get a warm Spanish winter is to go to the Canary Islands (but we like to take our car with us when we go to Spain) or for us there's Greneda in the Caribbean where friends of ours live...but you have to time it right to avoid the hurricane season!  We haven't been as yet because it's such a long (and expensive) flight but we're going to take a trip out there sometime next year.

Justin...

Another myth dispelled....we thought it was warmer down south in the winter and you didn't have to use your heating systems until at least the middle of December.  Doh!

Mag

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Buying a Car in Spain...Beware - 24 posts
Does my mother have to pay capital gains tax ? - 4 posts
Friday Storms - 2 posts
Tips for a short break in Granada, please! - 2 posts
Income tax for non residents - 37 posts
TEACHING - 1 posts
La ALUMNIA - 0 posts
Oso y madrono - origins of Madrid city emblem/coat of arms/ statue - 1 posts
Brenda - property in calanova - 2 posts
bulding the internal walls in breeze blocks - 8 posts
Hotel Recommendation - 0 posts
2006 Nissan Micra 5 door. Low price for quick sale - 2 posts
bank - 10 posts
Bank guarantees - 3 posts
Car Storage in Cartagena/Murcia Region ? - 2 posts
closing childrens bank accounts - 0 posts
Insurance deposit for hired cars - 0 posts
International Parcel Rates? - 6 posts
Early Childhood Teaching - 0 posts
M.O.T. ( ITV ) - 9 posts
How many of you live in the Orihuela area? - 6 posts
Exemption of Estepona Basura Tax 2011 - 0 posts
manchester to la manga ? - 21 posts
Spanish teacher in Málaga - 0 posts
FOR SALE 1989 Autotrail Comanche Camper van - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x