Costs for extending mortgage by 10 years

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Oct 2011 12:00 AM by chicadeb Star rating. 32 posts Send private message

Hi,

I have a 25 year mortgage that has 15 years left on it.  I have been thinking of extending it by 10 years to lower the monthly mortgage payments.

Has anyone done this?  Any idea of the costs and paperwork involved?

THANKS

Like 0      
16 Oct 2011 1:17 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Is it a UK mortgage or a Spanish mortgage?  If Spanish, the renogotation fees are quite expensive.

Like 0      
16 Oct 2011 11:23 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

The problem in Spain is that your mortgage terms are written into the property deeds "escritura", so it can be expensive to change this.

However, saying that, we got our mortgage changed to interest only and they didn't charge us anything or change the actual escritura. 

Best talk to your bank and see what they say.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
16 Oct 2011 11:33 PM by chicadeb Star rating. 32 posts Send private message

Thanks for your reply, Justin.

My long-term plan is to sell it, but as it’s such as bad time to sell now (I have reduced it €75,000 and still have no interested buyers) I’m considering renting it for a few more years.  The rent won’t cover the mortgage and therefore I wondered if it was worth looking into extending the mortgage to reduce it so the rent would cover it totally per month.  I thought this could be a better option than selling it at a loss, however, your comments about an interest only mortgage sounds even more suitable (and possibly cheaper)!

I'll definitely look into it!

Just one question, did your bank change your mortgage to interest only for the rest of the mortgage term or just for a number of specified years?

Thank you

Like 0      
17 Oct 2011 9:15 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Chicadeb

Sorry I have not read the whole post, so this may have been covered.

Why not ask the mortgage provider what you can do and what it will cost ?  At a time when the banks do not want any more property on their books they may be very helpful  !!

Like 0      
17 Oct 2011 10:08 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

I got it changed to two years interest free.  I think they possibly would have accepted a longer period but that was all I asked for.

And ask I had to!  They didn't offer anything so this is truly a "if you don't ask you don't get" type of scenario.

Best of luck with it.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
17 Oct 2011 11:12 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

varies from bank to bank and depends to some extent on mortgage deed.

Drop in and discuss with manager and see what they come with ....

Like 0      
17 Oct 2011 6:13 PM by chicadeb Star rating. 32 posts Send private message

Thanks for your comments everyone.

I'll pop in to see my bank.  They haven't been helpful in the past so that's why I wanted to know if others have done it so I can go in and mention this and have a bit more backup.

Cheers

Like 0      
18 Oct 2011 12:44 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Expenses related to enlarging the repayment period of your mortgage are as follows:

• Notary: 150 €

• Registrar: 50 €

• Gestoría: 100 - 150 €

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

travel links to Denia - 0 posts
Is there a minimum age to leave children alone? - 5 posts
Resident or Non-Resident, confusion - 36 posts
LHD LANDROVER FREELANDER 2003 - 4 posts
Selling apartment and garage separately - 1 posts
Web-Based Start-Up Business - 6 posts
ANYONE INTERESTED IN A HOUSE-SWAP HOLIDAY? - 2 posts
Renewing Driving Licence. before it expires - 6 posts
building within a boundary - 5 posts
Dogs on Beaches? - 10 posts
Will there be compensation for BB users from Spannish Network suppiers - 9 posts
Need the help of you lovely people - 8 posts
NON RESIDENT PROPERTY OWNERS SPANISH TAX - 0 posts
Longish-term budget accomodation - 5 posts
Does anyone know where you can take olives to be processed into oil? - 6 posts
SLEEPLESS - 9 posts
Biggest Idiot On The Planet - 12 posts
What has gone wrong with the Bono? - 11 posts
Property Insurance - 4 posts
Yamaha FX160HO Cruiser Jet Ski for sale - 1 posts
can anyone help us - 1 posts
Life in Spain - 4 posts
TRAVEL HELP PLEASE - 3 posts
Non Resident Tax - 4 posts
Communities and free range dogs - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x