SMOKE ALARMS

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Sep 2011 12:00 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I just saw that the fire which killed the family in the UK a few days ago was probably caused by a defect in their freezer.

Please feel free to ignore everything else I say,   but please do install some (you may need more than one) smoke alarms in your property, and even take one with you when you go on holiday.

I know from my professional experience that most people who die in house fires never wake up.  A smoke alarm would probably have saved almost all of them.

And of course, they only work if the battery is good, so check them once a month

This message was last edited by johnzx on 27/09/2011.

Like 0      
27 Sep 2011 1:51 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

Great advice, a cheap device that saves livesbut can I also add please install a combined smoke and carbon monoxide alarm if yiu have a gas boiler

Like 0      
27 Sep 2011 2:07 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I said you may need more than one alarm.

I have one in the hall,  just outside my kitchen,  and one each in the sitting room and both bedrooms. So four in all.

I also have a separate carbon monoxide alarm in the sitting room,   where in the winter I use a free-standing gas heater.

Like 0      
27 Sep 2011 10:35 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

It concerns me that many Spanish properties have fixed bars at the windows making escape impossible even if you are aware there is a fire.  I belive that it is now a building regulation that all ground floors are "protected" in this manner.

M.

Like 0      
28 Sep 2011 8:10 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

xetog

When I am making toast, I have to open the window and have the extractor fan on,  and even then,  sometimes the smoke alarm sounds.

Fires usually start with smouldering and an alarm, correctly positioned, would detect that, giving enough time to escape by the front door.   

My message to all remains:-   Fit alarms, and save your life and that of others.

Like 0      
28 Sep 2011 8:40 AM by perce Star rating. 26 posts Send private message

what you want in the kitchen area is a heat detector rather than a smoke alarm, interlinked to other alarms in the building, by fitting a heat detector it will not react to burning toast, but will go off in the event of a fire breaking out.

This is the requirements for new build in the uk.

Dave

Like 0      
28 Sep 2011 9:13 AM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

I was not decrying the use of smoke alarms, I have them myself and fully support the use of any device that can warn of impending fire.  I simply wanted to point out that window bars are potential death traps and that one should have an escape plan ready since relying on escape through windowsas we do in the UK could result in tragedy.  I am investigating having bars which can be unlocked from the inside so that several escape routes are available if the worst ever does happen.

M.

Like 0      
28 Sep 2011 10:18 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Dave,

A heat detector is a fire alarm device designed to respond when the convected thermal energy of a fire increases the temperature of a heat sensitive element. The thermal mass and conductivity of the element regulate the rate flow of heat into the element. All heat detectors have this thermal lag. Heat detectors have two main classifications of operation, "rate-of-rise" and "fixed temperature."

It would seem that if you only have a heat detector then means of emergency escape is more important, as the house is probably ON FIRE !    

As I said, almost all domestic fires start with smouldering,  thus one gets an early warning, probably before an actual fire starts.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Closing a bank account from the UK for a deceased relative - 7 posts
SKY+ HD BOX - 4 posts
WANTED - 6 month rental between Girona and Valencia - 0 posts
WANTED - very long term townhouse in Duquesa or near - 0 posts
New Mobile Phone coming - 1 posts
Banks settling with properties - 26 posts
o2 Roaming - 5 posts
Michael and Margaret - 1 posts
Changing Name on NIE & Residencia - 5 posts
another great trip - 5 posts
EWTELCO - 10 posts
GPS and Satnav - 19 posts
English speaking solicitor needed, Villamartin area - 2 posts
Fast UK VPN? - 23 posts
Bank Security... - 5 posts
Terminally ill - 13 posts
Taxis - 3 posts
the Rowleys - 3 posts
List for transponders please - 4 posts
Looking for a good local book keeper. - 3 posts
Thought 5 months was a holiday?? - 11 posts
usa visa - 0 posts
Wanted Dining Room Table & 4 Chairs - 1 posts
Sue Spanish Builder/Bank in UK? - 13 posts
Anyone in Marbella do me a favour? - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x