Closing a bank account from the UK for a deceased relative

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Sep 2011 12:00 AM by R Gibbson Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hello,

My father died a week ago after an illness in a care home in England, he was a resident in the Alicante region for nearly 20 years and has an outstanding bank account with CAM bank in Parcent in the Jalon Valley - how do I go about closing the account down and withdrawing the money from the UK?

Regards,

RG

Guildford, UK

Like 0      
27 Sep 2011 1:34 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Not easy!

Depends on bank policy.

If you have access to account don't tell bank he is dead and simply withdraw all the money!

Otherwise contact the bank and they will tell you THEIR procedure.

It does not require a deed of acceeptance but they can ask you for a lot of documentation - some English and some Spanish. If you want to know procedure reply saying so and I will post.

If you need to use a lawyer it will cost you EUR500 to EUR1,000

Like 0      
27 Sep 2011 2:16 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Just a suggestion.

My son (who lives in UK but has property here) and I have a power of attorney for each of us, so we can transact just about anything for each other (in Spain).

An alternative way,  for say just a bank account, would be to have an on-line banking facility set up and allow a trusted person to know the details.  Then, as suggested, if the bank does not know that the account holder has died, all the cash can be drawn out or transferred.

Seems a bit hardhearted, but I have told my wife, that when I die, before she does anything else, empty our joint accounts.

Like 0      
27 Sep 2011 2:34 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

John

I'm surprised at you condoning such activity!!

Like 0      
27 Sep 2011 3:16 PM by amatista Star rating. 440 posts Send private message

Why are you surprised about that?? Do you think the banks should be able to hang on to your cash if your partner dies, and knowing how they operate here, it would take years to get what is rightfully yours. I have told my partner the same, if I go before her, take all the money out of joint accounts in Gib and here, then tell them I have died .. why would anyone NOT do that?

Like 0      
27 Sep 2011 3:35 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

John
I'm surprised at you condoning such activity!!

FARO

I don't condone it,  I recommend it.

Like 0      
27 Sep 2011 4:19 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

If you want to do things "the correct way" you need the Will or grant of probate to access the money and obviously these need to state that you are the person in title to the funds!

As long as you have all the paperwork it is quite simple but they do request a lot of paperwork and translations and it does cost some money.

Joan

Like 0      
27 Sep 2011 4:36 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

and worse when some dies intestate ie without a will

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

SKY+ HD BOX - 4 posts
WANTED - 6 month rental between Girona and Valencia - 0 posts
WANTED - very long term townhouse in Duquesa or near - 0 posts
New Mobile Phone coming - 1 posts
Banks settling with properties - 26 posts
o2 Roaming - 5 posts
Michael and Margaret - 1 posts
Changing Name on NIE & Residencia - 5 posts
another great trip - 5 posts
EWTELCO - 10 posts
GPS and Satnav - 19 posts
English speaking solicitor needed, Villamartin area - 2 posts
Fast UK VPN? - 23 posts
Bank Security... - 5 posts
Terminally ill - 13 posts
Taxis - 3 posts
the Rowleys - 3 posts
List for transponders please - 4 posts
Looking for a good local book keeper. - 3 posts
Thought 5 months was a holiday?? - 11 posts
usa visa - 0 posts
Wanted Dining Room Table & 4 Chairs - 1 posts
Sue Spanish Builder/Bank in UK? - 13 posts
Anyone in Marbella do me a favour? - 2 posts
Things you need to known about your Cell Phone - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x