o2 Roaming

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Sep 2011 12:00 AM by chills Star rating. 89 posts Send private message

I am in Southern Spain at the moment using o2 Roaming, I am connected to Movistar. I have not been able to make local calls since I arrived but can make and receive calls from the U.K. I have been in contact with o2 several times, they say they are aware of this problem and engineers are dealing with it. I have explained, that this has given me a major difficulty and have asked them to "give me a work around", which they have ignored. They suggested in the meantime using local phone boxes and I explained that I cannot remember the last time I saw one never mind one that worked. Is anyone else having a similar problem. I know there are other solutions such as purchasing a local sim card but as I have preloaded quite a bit of money on this o2 Pay as you go, why should I?

Like 0      
26 Sep 2011 12:15 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Roaming charges are so expensive.  You can buy a BIC mobile phone from many petrol stations now for €19 and that includes €10 of calling credit.  So in effect you are only paying €9 for the phone.

When we go to England for a week or two we always buy a cheap PAYG phone as it's so much cheaper to use than roaming with my Spanish phone.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
29 Sep 2011 3:24 PM by Projjer Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Yes I am now having the same problem.

Made a call to a local Malaga number (airport parking company) on 14th Sept just before leaving for UK.

Came back on 27th and found myself unable to call the same airport parking company. Incomimg calls work OK

I am a business customer with three O2 phones on contract and all have this problem.

It happens irrespective if I connect via Movistar or Orange and affects both landline and mobile numbers and stops SMS also.

My contract Voda sim works OK though (but vastly more expensive)

Reported the fault to O2 today (29th Sept) and they have escalated to their network engineers and have provided me with a fault reference number so I can chase up progress.

If any other O2 customers have this problem it would be helpful if they could add a "Me Too" to this thread.  Please confirm contract or Payg and location.  No need to publish your number here I will PM you should O2 want more info.

Incidentally - as with all mobile operators Payg receive the lowest level of service.  If the phone is essential to your life I would always recomment contract,  business contract if appropriat will give an even better level of response. O2 have some good SIM Only deals especially even if you spend a lot of time in Spain.

Cheers

Projjer

(Retired Telecoms Consultant)

Like 0      
29 Sep 2011 4:00 PM by Projjer Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

TEMPORARY WORK AROUND FOR O2 ROAMING PROBLEM

Further to my previous post a UK company "Just-Dial" offer a service to Spain for 1.02p Landlines and 6.13p Mobiles.

No contract, no registration, no credit cards - billing through phone account.

Just tried their number -  08447200990 - and it works from my O2 contract SIM so total cost from Spain (for me) would be 21.02p and 26.13 (mobiles).

Not perfect but better than being stuck without local call functionality.

There are probably others that offer similar services.

Cheers

Tommy

Like 0      
29 Sep 2011 7:42 PM by chills Star rating. 89 posts Send private message

This is day 6. I have emailed their so called Customer Service every day and have got the response, that their engineers are working on it. Day 2 Customer Service Operative admitted there was a problem, Day 3 Operative said there was no problem reported. I told her that somone in her department was telling lies, was it her, or the other Operative. She checked back and said there was indeed a problem. I told them all, how unhappy I was with the so called service and indeed at one stage I was trying to contact a local Doctor and had to do it from a local Bar. I stated, that their line manager, whose name I think was, Francis, should stop offering this service on the net until the problem was fixed. It is still being being offered. Trade Descriptions Act I wonder? I am Pay as you Go.

This message was last edited by chills on 29/09/2011.

Like 0      
30 Sep 2011 2:54 PM by chills Star rating. 89 posts Send private message

Yipee!!! it's back. Only took a week, now we can contact everyone again.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Michael and Margaret - 1 posts
Changing Name on NIE & Residencia - 5 posts
another great trip - 5 posts
EWTELCO - 10 posts
GPS and Satnav - 19 posts
English speaking solicitor needed, Villamartin area - 2 posts
Fast UK VPN? - 23 posts
Bank Security... - 5 posts
Terminally ill - 13 posts
Taxis - 3 posts
the Rowleys - 3 posts
List for transponders please - 4 posts
Looking for a good local book keeper. - 3 posts
Thought 5 months was a holiday?? - 11 posts
usa visa - 0 posts
Wanted Dining Room Table & 4 Chairs - 1 posts
Sue Spanish Builder/Bank in UK? - 13 posts
Anyone in Marbella do me a favour? - 2 posts
Things you need to known about your Cell Phone - 3 posts
Looking to buy Property in Malaga, Spain - 6 posts
Moving to Spain - 6 posts
I received letter from Agencia Tributaria saying I have a fine - but for what? - 14 posts
Land sitter/land wanted for rent for campervan. - 2 posts
Getting your deposit back? Tenant rights - 3 posts
Campsite work - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x